My latest frustration with Best Buy: Worthless music coupons!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Oct 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I went into Best Buy today to pick up the David Bowie Ziggy Stardust SACD (got the last copy! :)), and at the register, I saw a stack of free DVDs that said "COMING ATTRACTIONS" on the covers. As the disc had previews of upcoming movie, music, and game releases, I wasn't too interested. However, when the cashier mentioned that there were coupons inside as well, I grabbed one.

Upon looking through the coupons when I got home, I was greatly disappointed with the music coupons. The movie (DVD) coupons are great: 10% off any action DVD, 10% off any comedy DVD, 10% off any drama DVD, 10% off any DVD collector's set, 10% off any family DVD, 10% off any Disney DVD, 10% off any holiday DVD, and on and on. Then I got to the music coupons, and here is what I found:

Best of No Doubt for $9.99

Buy Rolling Stones 4our Flicks DVD and any Rolling Stones CD title and get $2 Off (note how they don't mention SACD)

new Blink 182 cd for $9.99

Best of Sheryl Crow for $9.99

new Nelly Furtado for $9.99

Toby Keith Shocken Ya All for $9.99

Limp Bizkit Results May Vary for $9.99

Nickelback The Making of the Long Road for $9.99

new Puddle of Mudd for $9.99

new Tupac for $9.99

Sting Sacred Love for $9.99

:mad:

Maybe these coupons appeal to some of you, but I am very disappointed. How about "10% off any rock title"? How about "10% off any music purchase" (as they do in certain offers for Best Buy credit card holders)? How about "10% off any SACD"? Not only are they offering coupons for specific discs instead of giving us the flexibility to save money on anything we want to buy, but look at the titles? The only one I might use is the one for the Sheryl Crow disc. I will wait for reviews of the sound quality first, though.

The DVD coupons are great, and I will use most of them, but the music coupons are awful. :mad:

2. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I certainly don't want to offend anybody either, but there isn't a CD listed that I would be interested in. 10% off all CDs would have been great.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Re: Re: My latest frustration with Best Buy: Worthless music coupons!

Yes I agree...Although, I would'nt take them for FREE:)

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I was suprised that there were no 10% off all music coupons as well.

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

You bet. Nothing that excites me either. Who the hell buys Tupac CD's? Puddle of Mudd, Nickelback, Limp Bizkit? Horrible! Even the kids make fun of them. :p :laugh:

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

They should give you the 10% for the Stones reissues, because, since they are hybrids, technically, they are CDs. Particularly in light of the fact that ABKCO chose to hide the fact that they are SACDs on the packaging, this should be an easy sell to the cashier. I know- I've done it! Hope this helps.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if i am not mistaken, best sold (or will sell) all of the mentiioned titles for $9.99 the weeek of release without a coupon.

so basically the coupons are useless if you are an early shopper.

8. KeithH

Bill said:

First off, note that they are only offering $2 off, not 10% off, the combination of a Stones "CD" and the new Stones DVD. Also, I know it wasn't clear, but I did not mean to imply that you absolutely could not use the coupon for a Stones hybrid SACD. Maybe you can. Rather, I was just highlighting the fact that Best Buy did not mention SACD on the coupon. It wouldn't surprise me if you could use the coupon for a Stones SACD, but Best Buy probably didn't mention SACD so as to not confuse the average consumer (the same reason the discs themselves aren't labeled as SACDs).

9. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

More likely as to not to confuse their employees!!
    :sigh:

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

10% off anything under $18 plus tax ain't nothin.

I mean, you can complain all you want about the poor "forced" selection, but that's label-induced promotion and the discount isn't even paying for the gas it takes to go back to the store.

You could do better buying most anything elsewere w/free shipping and better selection. Not specifically knocking BB, but buying in brick & morter certainly doesn't cater to any of "us".

Just for the hell of it, I saw if BB carried anything by Art Blakey. Nope.

11. KeithH

Sckott, I know the coupons might not amount to much, but it's the principle of it. They offer flexible coupons for DVDs, but garbage for music. Oh, and Best Buy is a waste for jazz. Classical too.

12. LtPepper

LtPepper Forum Resident

Keith,

Check the DVD coupons also. They are each only good for one week or so and on different weeks.

13. KeithH

Mike, yeah, I noticed that. My wife is a huge movie fan, so she will make sure I don't forget. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.