My MFSL Score @ Wherehouse Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by listentothemusic, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. listentothemusic

listentothemusic New Member Thread Starter

The store in my area is one that will be closing in March/April of this year. I wandered in today and found "War" from U2 for $19.99 and "Fiyo On The Bayou" from Neville Brothers for $12.99. Both discs and booklets were used, but they were in mint condition.

I know these two titles aren't incredibly rare, but is sure beats paying the prices commanded on eBay!

If anyone is looking for other titles, let me know and I'll see if they have them. I noticed about ten copies of "The Game" from Queen while I was there.

2. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Congratulations and enjoy! I bet there's a lot of other good used CD's at Wherehouse. They seem to advertise many of the rarer titles on Amazon.

The prices usually seem fair as well!:thumbsup:

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Excellent! No stores around my way:(

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Hate to say it, but from a web standpoint, Wherehouse not the most reliable of sellers, to be kind. True, some of their CD's are in fine shape, but all their used stuff is, literally, *wherehoused* at a separate location, and on Amazon they almost never properly list any condition. I've been burned a few times and forced to send discs back because they were below anyone's reasonable expectation of what constitutes *good* or *used* condition. Worse, they don't give a damn about presentation: most sellers will, at the very least, package the average disc in a new jewel case if the old one's beaten up or broken, but not Wherehouse: I've had some come soiled and in pieces, even when the disc itself was more than acceptable.

Another example of where the store is everything; if you can check it out before purchase, you're much better off. Though it costs nothing to return a Wherehouse disc, if it's a rare one that turns out to look like a beer coaster(even if it plays okay), you won't be so enamored of their operation. Their worst offense is not only that they don't offer adequate product descriptions, but even when you e-mail them, they can't tell you any more, since it's all done somewhere else.

Bottom line: hit, often miss. With DCC Golds--where the slipcase and disc condition is so important, if only for aesthetic value--I wouldn't take the chance after my past experiences with other product.

ED:cool:

5. chrischross

chrischross New Member

Ed -- I think listentothemusic is talking about Wherehouse at the retail level. I just picked up MFSL U2 - War and MFSL Rush - Signals at Wherehouse for $19.99 and $12.99 respectively. They were in mint shape, as if Wherehouse is just closing out their new stock.

I never see DCC's at the two retail locations in my area, but some MFSL's are priced competitively. Some are a joke, with some titles priced at $49.99, and they are not even that rare. The used Stones SACD's are also a rip-off.

6. listentothemusic

listentothemusic New Member Thread Starter

Yes, my purchase was at one of their retail stores. Maybe their prices will continue to fall as they prepare to close many of their stores.

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Guys, sorry for the misunderstanding. Apparently the retail outlets and the net sites are two different entities. There was never a retail store anywhere near me; never been in one, as I can remember.

ED:cool:

8. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Ed - don't apologize. You just saved me aggravation. I was just planning to buy some used CD's from them through Amazon. I was worried enough about their recent bankruptcy filling, but combined with your warning here, I will look elsewhere.

9. ezio gallino

ezio gallino New Member

I've experienced a wherehouse (6-7 gold mofi's cd) post order.
    Disc were good but state of package was terrible, as it has been under someone's feet.
    I've got to repackage them all, most cases weren't orginal. But after all price was fine and discs play nice.
    If they just do better packaging.....

10. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Hi Ezio,

I've noticed the same problem with Wherehouse. The CD liners, Jewel
    Cases etc. frequently appear to have been treated roughly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.