My music collection keeps growing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Welly Wu, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member Thread Starter

I went through my entire music collection over the past fifteen years or so and I figured out that I have 22,659 tracks totaling the equivalent of 1,889 discs in various formats. I don't consider myself to have the largest music collection in this community let alone the rest of the world. Most of my purchases are digital downloads and I choose the MP3 audio codec because it's widely supported among different hardware and software products and services.

It's very eclectic spanning rap to folk to classical and everything else in between.

What's your music library consist of? How many tracks do you own? How many different discs do you own and what are the formats? Where do you purchase your music? Have you gone to digital audio files yet?

2. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member Thread Starter

What's your favorite music from your collection?

3. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

I possess zero digital downloads.
    I have a dozen files on my computer of discs I ripped to make a copy to play in the car. (usually I delete the file after making the copy)

I have about 4,000 albums on LP. Somewhat equally divided in three areas, Rock, Jazz, Classical.
    I have another 2,500 or so CDs also divided between Rock, Jazz and Clasical.
    I own three turntables, and a dozen Cd players. Mostly 5 disc machines.

I constantly weed out junk, and buy more stuff.
    My main listening of late is Jazz. Mostly 40's 50's...

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I've got about 10,000 CDs, about 1,000 LPs, about 40 cassettes and about 200 7" singles. Also about 40 Betamax music tapes, maybe a dozen or so music LaserDiscs and about 150 or so music DVDs. Maybe 30 or so music BluRays. No digital audio files or ripped discs at all. It may change in the future but, for now, if it's not available on a physical format, I just do without.

Mostly it's the avant-garde and experimental side of jazz and rock. Also some Japanese noise.

5. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I cataloged my music collection a couple months ago as a project to give me some relief from looking for work. My collection consists now of 2911 entries consisting of CDs, LPs, cassettes, music DVDs, music VHS tapes, laserdiscs, Blu-ray discs and a few mp3 collections. I cataloged by artist completing one letter of the alphabet a day, but my Bob Dylan collection alone took about a week.

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I'd estimate about 50,000 individual tracks - 45's, LP's, CD's, cassettes

7. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I don't play physical material for listening but play about 1300 albums (16000 tracks) of flac played through a squeezebox server or foobar:

200+ DCC, Aufi & Mofi ripped to 16/44
    200+ SCAD (400 gig of DSD ripped via PS3) and converted to 24/176
    50+ DVD-A converted to 24/96
    10 Downloads 24/96
    400+ Cd’s 16/44
    400+ Needle Drops - some 16/44 most 24/96 (maybe 100 or so waiting to be recorded).

Just replaced the motor on my turntable and recorded (Mofi) Gordon Lightfoot / Sundown. Very nice album.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hate Downloads !
    Like garlic to a vampyr
    the idea repuluses me.

9. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

45,700 CD/SACD tracks (FLAC)
    143,000 other music files - many duplicate/versions

10. SomethingAnything

SomethingAnything Forum Resident

My collection is a random mess over many genres and formats. I am quite certain if I played everything through back-to-back, I would not live long enough to hear it all. (So someone else would have to take over at some point.)

DirkMcQ and HominyRhodes like this.
  11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I have over 6000 albums (over 5000 on vinyl, about 800 cassettes, about 200 CDs, and around 30 8-track tapes). I have rock from the '50s to the present in all its subgenres(folk rock, psych, prog, etc.), jazz from ragtime to free jazz and fusion, pop, folk (field recordings, folk revival,sea chanteys,cowboy songs, etc.), blues, country(Carter Family through Junior Brown; I personally can't stand what's passing for country music today), bluegrass, reggae, soweta, Cajun/zydeco, swamp, bubblegum, soul and R&B, some funk, some disco, 2 rap albums, gospel, contemporary Christian(through the '80s before it lost its edge),new age and ambient, singer/songwriters, easy listening, international( from many different regions and cultures), classical from medieval and Renaissance through 20th century and electronic, avant garde, marches, calliope music, original cast albums, show tunes, movie and TV soundtracks, radio broadcasts, Christmas, Chanukah,scary stories and sound effects, comedy, spoken word, sounds of nature and other sounds,poetry, and children's albums, plus about 100 45s and a few 78s. I think that's about all.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

My music collection keeps multiplying. Every time I go in there, there's more. I don't know how it gets there, but it does.

If I had to guess, I have around 13,000 CDs. Otherwise, 853 SACDs, 110 DVD-Audio discs, 77 miscellaneous hi-rez discs, and 0.037 LPs.

13. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Around 6000 cds and SACDs of almost all musical genres. I'm born however in the socalled 'Year Zero' which means I'm musically raised in the punk years. The core of my collection is punk, post-punk and (dub) reggae, by finding my musical ways via influences like the Velvets and Bowie my taste got, however, more and more eclectic and I own now albums of totally different musicians/bands like Frank Sinatra, AC/DC, Chic, Schubert, James Brown, The Orb, Nick Drake, Air, Black Sabbath, Neu!, Serge Gainsbourg, The Byrds, Ray Charles, Eric Satie, Francoise Hardy, Radiohead, Eric B & Rakim, Johnny Cash, Captain Beefheart, Kruder and Dorfmeister, Billy Holiday, The Tindersticks, Bob Dylan, Jacques Brel, etc, etc.

I would like to thank all my fellow members here for their help of influencing me and I hope all of you (!) are also always keeping open for all kinds of music out of your comfort zone and from all different decades! Music never stopped to develop and will never do!

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It is so refreshing to encounter people with highly diverse listening habits!

Sordel, Front 242 Addict and Folknik like this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I've got one floppy disc that came free with a magazine. Plays better in the morning.:)

16. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I would have to measure the CDs, LPs and 45s in my shelves by the foot, and weigh the cassettes by the pound. Plus 78s, RTRs and even a few 8-tracks (I have an old player in my closet.) I have thousands of digital files (downloads/rips), but I don't count those since they could all go "poof" someday.

17. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

I have over 2,000 cds and a few hundred vinyl albums. The only music I have ever downloaded are bootlegs and I immediately copy them to a cd-r.

18. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i've got about 7,000 records, 2,000 cds, 500 cassettes & about one terabyte in digital files. you will find a little bit of everything in my collection as i have been given several collections over the years from people with different musical tastes as myself.

19. Probably something like 40,000 songs with many duplicates as I have a lot of stuff on vinyl and CD, and duplicates of them as well. Let's call it 30,000 ...my best guess and really, that's all it is....a guess. I would say that 50% of them I'll probably never ever listen to again. That brings me down to 15,000 songs that are probably worth having. Will I listen to all of them? Your guess is as good as mine, but I doubt it.

20. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

How do you play it?:)

21. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I have about a thousand CDs, a couple hundred LPs and sundry cassettes lying around.
    Jason Falkner (and Jason Falkner related) discs are the most cherished items in my music library.

Splungeworthy likes this.
  22. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Music ;)

Over 35,000

Hard to tell. My CD collection became unmanageable, so I gave some of it away to Goodwill and the Salvation Army. The rest is locked away since I went digital or waiting to be ripped. My vinyl collection is small -~75 albums or so- and deliberately kept <100.

Amazon, Discogs, local music stores, HDTracks, eBay, Best Buy, Target, etc... I don't mind buying digital music online as long as it's not lossy.

Currently 2300 albums securely ripped from CD to FLAC- then use those to create 256kbps AAC files for the portables. Still have plenty of CDs left to rip. Eventually I'll look at needledropping my vinyl once I get a solid workflow implemented.

I don't really have favorites- I guess what I like most is the collection that I built itself. Since having gone digital, I find myself listening to the music more.

23. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I have almost 700 cds , 40 records and 20 cassettes , I have very few downloads .

I love many different styles of music /
    my collection is organized by styles : Progressive Rock , New wave , E.B.M , industrial and electro-industrial. folk, country.
    Hip Hop, Ambient music and dark ambient. Rock and Gothic Rock .
    I enjoy all the styles in my collection , each style provides a different listening experience.

Part of the collection are items bought in stores in my country,
    A large part purchased over the Internet through Ebay , Discogs , Gemm and other web sites.

24. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

2000 cds, mostly first editions from the 80s & 90s, about 500 sacds and about 50 lps all Uk /Ireland first pressings from 60s/70s.
    In other words, more music than I will ever listen to. I am doing more listening than buying these days.

25. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

Don't know the count as I stopped counting CDs for awhile, then I started on a record collection. Lets just say its a lot and I'm starting to run low on space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.