My new car has no CD player :-(

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kwadguy, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Hey. I have 2013 Honda CRV and it did come with CD player.

I will swap ya.

P.M Sent :D

Kristofa likes this.
  2. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

A ****load. Unlimited data plans are extremely important to me!

andybeau likes this.
  3. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Thank you for the tip, I'll do it!!!

4. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

No options to upgrade the stereo? I call shenanigans.

5. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

A computer optical drive is useless to me as i have a stereo everywhere i use my computer.
    It does not prevent me from having flac/mp3 versions of all my cds and vinyl discs.
    An optical drive means a bigger laptot and i want to keep my laptop under 1kg and 13 inches screen.

6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

You are lucky. We have some of the worst plans here so using data all the time would cost a fortune.

7. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

My wife and I bought a new VW Golf Diesel that we loved. It had an in glovebox 6 cd changer. My wife loved this because she spends a lot of time on the road and she likes to listen to cds our son makes reading her spiritual texts. And listenong to music. WELL- We found our VW was nasty dirty car. We took it back to the dealer and said give us a new gasoline model just like our old one and all will be good. The new car is really nice, 39 mpg, but only a one disk cd player, with a sd card slot. My wife wanted to take it back because of the cd player, and she was serious.

I put foobar 2000 on her computer, taught her how to rip a cd to sd cards. she now organizes her sd cards the way she wants them and is happy!

andybeau and shaboo like this.
  8. I also have a new VW (2017) so I assume yours also has ApplePlay? You can load those CDs into iTunes and play them and hundreds more CDs fill of music and scriptures via your iPhone or Android if you have one. Its great! You can probably have both the new AND old testaments for a long road trip.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Funny this is being mentioned. I just got a notice from my ISP that they are introducing caps. 1T a month. If you exceed that, it's $10 for each 50 GB extra. I never exceed that amount, so i'm good.

10. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I'm surprised they don't even include an AUX connection to hook up a CD player or portable player that way. My 2008 VW Jetta has the 6-disc changer and an AUX port in the glove box. This would be a no-buy for me if it didn't have the AUX port.

11. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

my car has no cd player but don't miss it at all really. I just use my ipod with wav files.

sublemon likes this.
  12. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

I'll probably be buying in the next year and the idea of having to use MP3s from my phone or worse yet, streaming audio, is depressing. The former is not as good in terms of quality and the later depends on where you are driving. I'm in an extremely rural area and let me tell you, being dependent on "the cloud" out here is less than ideal.

My ideal is where I could load all our lossless files into drive in the car and then manage that system from the steering wheel. Whatever car manufacturer comes up with that will get my attention but it'll never happen.

13. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

My current Honda has 2 USB in sockets but lacks an Aux in. As I have posted before, I cannot tell the difference between lossless or lossy files in the car. However, if you have an iPod / iPhone attached via the USB port, you can play anything on the iDevice, including Apple Lossless files, all controlled by the car's touchscreen or steering wheel controls. Isn't one solution for those that insist on lossless just to get an older iPod Nano and load it up with lossless music? Once you get bored of one 16GB batch of lossless albums you can just wipe it and put a new set on. I did this with an old Nano in my old car, which also had a PCMCIA card slot in the head unit, which armed with a CF card reader and 8GB CF card loaded with MP3 albums gave me more than enough music to drive with.

When I replaced the car last year I bought a 128GB USB stick which took hundreds of albums in MP3, but I abandoned it as browsing that many albums on the move on the screen takes far too long and is distracting. I now have a 16GB USB stick permanently in the car plus whatever happens to be on my 128GB iPhone.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  14. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

I just bought a new car with a cd player. Cars without were not eligible for purchase.

Davidmk5 and Tartifless like this.
  15. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Same here, looking for a car, the only one in the budget, with the right trunk size, engine, options does not offer cd player (though it offers high-end multichannel audio, go figure).
    I guess the new car will wait until a brand manufactures exactly what we want.

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I wonder what make and model it was.

Look guys, the fix is in. It's gonna happen. CD players will become extinct as original factory units in new vehicles. You might be able to find an after-market unit with a CD player for a while, but even that will eventually dry up. Manufacturers go with what the buying majority wants, balanced with what is most economically feasible to them.

17. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

There was a time when a CD/DVD drive + slave video screens in the back was a coveted feature. I guess that now the kids are either grown and old enough to drive their own car or too busy with their phones.

CD drives are not going to make a comeback because of the complaints or boycott of a vocal tiny minority. IMHO the efforts should be better spent at lobbying manufacturers to enable wireless lossless audio streaming between the phone and the car head-unit as BT audio can be unreliable and pathetically bad .

Sevoflurane likes this.
  18. Sevoflurane

I agree, but if you have a car that has USB compatibility with an iPhone and your iPhone loaded with lossless files then you get lossless in the car, your phone charged, and the Bluetooth can be left for hands free calls for the price of a Lightning to USB cable (and your CDs don't get scratched up due to getting beaten up in the car).

I get that there are plenty of people would still like CD players in their cars, but I think I used the one in my last car twice in four years, and reading this thread has prompted me to realise my current car does in fact have a CD player which has gone unused in the last 13 months and 11000 miles. They're heading for extinction and people will just have to adapt.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  19. Claude Benshaul

Since I'm allergic to Apple products that's not going to work for me. I have my phone mirrored to the head unit through a Miracast dongle and the LCD panel is also able to control my phone. With a bit of wizardry I can automatically switch to car mode with a suitable launcher and this enable me to (a) bypass both the car and head-unit pathetically bad UI and (b) enjoy a lossless connection between the phone and the car.

But that's a solution that works only for a gear head like me and requires a rooted android phone and a Pioneer after market head-unit. The rest of us would appreciate a simpler universal and reliable solution. It seems to me that right now you can only get 2 out of the 3.

20. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I felt sorry for myself because I had no feet, until I met a man who had no car CD player.

21. Claude Benshaul

I'm pretty sure the next advance in bionics will add media streaming

22. Sevoflurane

Direct wireless cochlear streaming in lossless is the way forward. If the chosen protocol can suppress my tinnitus at the same time I'll be sorted. Mind you, removing the need for amplifiers, speakers, headphones and the rest will decimate the hi fi industry.

23. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Thanks for reminding us that this is truly a first world problem.

Kristofa likes this.
  24. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I haven't listened to anything but satellite radio or iPod in my vehicles in more than a decade.

25. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

A Million times better ? at what ? Not sound quality ................ I like my music to go beyond the Range of the sound of a trucker on a CD Radio ....... I can see those using sticks or phones with hi-res cabled in , but Bluetooth sounds average at best .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.