My new car has no CD player :-(

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kwadguy, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Just like my Prius.

2. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Everybody I know who plays music in their car either plays it directly from their phone,or uses a streaming service,or if they are really old school,something call a radio.

WapatoWolf likes this.
  3. bscroggs

bscroggs Member

... and stranger still that they leave in the even more archaic AM and FM radio!

Ripping CDs is not a realistic option for those of us that have 1,000s of titles -- many of which are not found on Spotify or iTunes (or elsewhere).

What is anyone's luck with a bluetooth adapter for a portable CD player?

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

So the CRV with no CD player began with the 2017 model. I picked up my 2018 CRV just before Thanksgiving and was disappointed to find out it has no CD player ... :(

5. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

The FM/AM tuner is probably more for safety reasons so we can tune in when there is a storm or other occurrence that requires news. In some of those occurrences, cell may no longer work, so the AM/FM is a blessing.

Not sure why ripping CDs is not a realistic option. I have at least 1500 CDs and have ripped them all (twice). I initially ripped them at a "CD quality" rate of 128k. That was back when a terabyte drive was on the market for more than a $1000, so tech bloggers were telling everyone 128k was good enough. I ripped them again to lossless, but I used a 200 CD burner from Sony the second time. It hastened the process, but there were some tagging issues I had to deal with after the fact. However, I just fix them as I run across them. Many around here probably use Exact Audio Copy, though.

The fact is that you aren't carrying your entire 1000+ CD collection with you all the time. You are carrying a few here and there. You start ripping those that are in your regular rotation first and expand from there. You can use Plex to access them directly or load them up to Google or another platform if you don't want to deal with Plex (assuming you have a smart phone.. of course, you can load them directly onto the phone, as well).

6. coopmv

I suppose you should be able to play your mobile music player through your car audio system via the USB connection. It is probably safe to assume this will not work for all music players ...

7. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I believe my Planet Audio unit will only take a thumb drive or an iPod (via the Carplay input). I don't think it will just play music on another player. I had the same issue in the BMW Nav unit.

My Planet Audio Carplay setup does have an aux in, so I could go that route if I don't mind fiddling around with the player before I leave the house. (I linked my initial impressions of that unit). My preference is just using Apple Music since it has matched my files and it can just play the music I ask it to rather than needing to fool around with the screen.

8. TexSax

TexSax Forum Resident

We just bought a 2017 CRV and don't miss the CD player at all. We love the SeriusXM radio and also listen to AM and FM radio as well. We can plugin my wife's IPod or use a memory stick in the USB ports when we want to listen to music from our personal library. The memory stick is much more convenient than carrying around a bunch of CDs. Now I need to figure out what to do with our CD collection which we rarely listen to. Much more enjoyable to listen to records!

9. coopmv

I have never used iPod and have no intention of getting one. I am however, interested in one of those mobile music players by the likes of Onkyo, Pioneer, etc. that plays most of the lossless formats. The question is whether it will simply be a plug and play or it is a far more complicated process ...

10. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

You should check out your owners manual. Many say that they need a drive in a specific format (FAT32)...some also limit the size (32GB, 64GB, etc) of the drive.

11. coopmv

I currently do not have such a modern mobile music player yet. I only have a 15 year old Creative Zen Xtra with a 60 GB harddrive. The player only plays MP3 and WMA files but I have not yet tried to see if it will work with my 2018 Honda CRV audio system yet ...

12. mds

mds Forum Resident

CD players break over time. A thumb drive and an internal hard drive I think makes sense. I am wanting to believe are more robust. My CD player just went on the blink. One grand to replace. I wish I had an internal hard drive or a USB port. As an earlier post stated, once there were case the and eight track decks.

13. [​IMG] [​IMG] Last summer we bought a yukon XL for my wife and it includes a single disc CD player. I have and older f150 that I put a system in that includes a Mcintosh CD player and McIntosh amps. That system makes me dread getting a new vehicle, it’s that good.

14. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I don't mind new cars not having a CD player. I get irritated when there is not an AUX port. I don't want to listen to my music wirelessly with my phone. I recently had a 2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack as a loaner vehicle while mine was getting worked on. I liked the car, but there was not an AUX port. The CD player is in the glove box. So what does that leave? You have to download some app and listen to your stuff over bluetooth? No thanks.

Another thing I wonder - can you take the car to a third-party car audio store and have an AUX port installed? In my area, we have AMS and they do a really good job on stuff but they're pricey. I find most stock car audio systems are crap, but the manufacturers do stuff now so that you can't just tear it out and put your own in.

I miss my '95 Civic that I had a nice deck with a detachable face, 2x12 subwoofers, and 8" speakers all around with a 6-channel amp to run it all through. Only problem is it overloaded my alternator and shut my car off so I had to get a more powerful alternator and some other equipment installed so it wouldn't happen again. :-D

JeffMo and EasterEverywhere like this.
  15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have 3000 CDs and ripped them all. Yes, it's a daunting task. Maybe just try ripping the ones that aren't on Spotify/Apple Music, first?

Guys, they took away 8-tracks from cars, even though people had hundreds of them. They'll take away CD players, too. Best to start preparing, that's sooner you can enjoy the convenience of a full digital mobile library :)

16. Jking3002

Jking3002 Forum Resident

My current vehicle doesn’t have a CD player and I hate that fact. My girlfriend is only 24 and she’s also said on multiple occasions that she wishes my vehicle had a CD player as well.

Bluetooth isn’t bad but in the 3 vehicles I’ve owned that have had stock Bluetooth, it’s been a little buggy each time. Also, with my current vehicle, the quality difference of my iPhone over Bluetooth vs aux input is noticeable with aux coming out ahead.

So, with no CD player, and not being pleased with Bluetooth, I’ve found I have the best luck and most consistent performance through ripping CDs and then uploading the files to a usb memory stick. My vehicle is picky about file formats, but once I got things figured out it was fine. I’m pretty good about arranging the folders, adding cover art tags, etc. so it’s actually been a bit fun to play with.

Also, are people serious about satellite radio?! I tried it for a day and immediately noticed it sounded terrible, even for the car. It was unlistenable. I did a little research and most of what I’m reading indicates it’s like 32kbps audio...

Davidmk5 likes this.
  17. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Yeah the sound quality of satellite radio is horrendous. I think Sirius XM is still using 128kbps MP3. I'm surprised they haven't switched to a more efficient format better suited to streaming like HE-AAC or Opus.

18. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Most internet radio stations I listen to are still streaming 128Kbps MP3

19. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

I still have a good many 128kbps MP3s, and they are still very listenable to me, especially in the car. Some channels on Sirius XM are completely unlistenable. I wouldn't be surprised if they were 64kbps AT BEST.

20. WhatTheFlac

WhatTheFlac Forum Resident

Ouch! The way you describe your incident reminds me of a scene in the movie, A Christmas Story (1983) ...

[Ralphie is visiting Santa at the department store, only he can't remember what he wanted]

Santa Claus: How about a nice football?

Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] Football? Football? What's a football? With unconscious will my voice squeaked out 'football'.

Santa Claus: Okay, get him out of here.

Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] A football? Oh no, what was I doing? Wake up, Stupid! Wake up!

Ralphie: [Ralphie is shoved down the slide, but he stops himself and climbs back up] No! No! I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

Santa Claus: You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Santa Claus: [Santa pushes Ralphie down the slide with his boot] Merry Christmas. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Ralphie: No-o-o-o!

steveharris likes this.
  21. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

MP3? Sounds like time for an upgrade: Ford Unveils Hi-Res Audio for Cars at CES 2018

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

My guess is that the USB connector for the flash drive is going to have a much SHORTER lifespan than would an auto CD player, which are typically rated for a lifetime of well over a decade.

MitchLT likes this.
  23. coopmv

Sure! But you will have to fork over some monthly subscription fee for WiFi in your car. Your wireless carrier will be more than happy to pad more $$ to your bill ...

beat_truck likes this.
  24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And it's lossy crap too. Sorry, I needledrop mine. Or buy CD. I refuse to buy downloads.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Easier for you to get what you want in a car than it is to get what I need in a vehicle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.