My new car has no CD player :-(

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kwadguy, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. contium

contium Forum Resident

Damn that blows. My wife and I both have 2017 Nissans and they work amazing with iPods. This is the first car I haven't put an aftermarket stereo in due to the integration. Not happy about it but not much you can do.

2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I actually buy more used CD's than used LP's these days. Too damn cheap to pass up.

But I don't play them in the car...except maybe on the way home from Goodwill. They get ripped and onto the phone it goes / Bluetooth usage later.

Methodical likes this.
  3. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Buy cars in their bare bones configuration. Add optional stuff on your own out of pocket. Why finance an overpriced stock cd player?

4. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Not possible anymore, they way that the option packages are set up by the Auto Makers, you are forced to get other things you may not want. A base Impala for example comes with very little and there is not much you can add to a base model one option at a time and it still uses the proprietary touch screen tied to the computer system. I for one will not try to install Power Leather Seats, Heated & Cooled Seats, Memory Seats, Auto Climate Control, Cruise Control, Push Button Start, Remote Start, Auto Dim Mirrors, All of the Safety Options ie Blind Spot Alert, Back Up Alert, Collision Warning ect... This is true with nearly all makes of cars these days. No body sells cars anymore with the ability to add any single options one at a time anymore, (with exception of certain items on trucks) they are all tied to option packages. Now that back up cameras are mandatory, just about every car from the lowest possible model to the highest has a proprietary screen with vehicle functions tied to it making near impossible to add aftermarket head units. As time goes on, this will get worse.

5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Thanks for the info. Been a while since I bought a brand new vehicle.

Makes me wanna go out and buy an old Chevy pickup and just say "eff it!" .
    [​IMG]

LA2019 and beat_truck like this.
  6. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Me too, I have an old Chevy S-10, But that Full Size in the picture, that is the good old days. Nice Truck !

artfromtex likes this.
  7. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

A brand new "square body" would be really cool. My last one was a 1980 Cheyenne 3/4 ton 4x4, with a 4sp manual and locking front hubs.

artfromtex likes this.
  8. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

Yep, too cheap to pass up (less than the cost of 1 download most time). I also listen to them on the way home in the truck and rip them to my iPod Classic. I also play them on my home stereo system, too.

Yep, hard to get around the package deals, sort of like FIOS. The lower package only saves you $5 even though the different options we know is way more costly than that $5.

When I purchased my Sequoia, I just wanted the Red Rock seats, but the lower end vehicles did not have the color, so to get what I wanted, I had to go with the top end model, which then include other features I did not want or wanted to pay for, but ultimately those options turned out great for me and the family.

9. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

I have the same configuration, except a Dodge.
    '83 Dodge D150 1/2 ton 2wd short bed. 225 slant 6, automatic, manual steering, manual brakes:wtf:
    LOVE IT!:righton:

BTW, it DOES have a CD player. But only because an aftermarket stereo with a USB port costs about the same amount with or without a CD player and the ones with CD players are MUCH more common. I don't remember if I've ever even put a disc in it.:D

artfromtex likes this.
  10. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

So why did you buy it then ? :shrug:

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

I like it as...yYou know...a car...

beat_truck and SamS like this.
  12. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

But Safety and Music are always my top priority's when buying a car, hence why we are here on this forum :)

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Safety is high. Gas mileage is outstanding for the platform. Handling is decent. Cargo room is excellent for the size. The only big negative is the lack of a CD player. Which sucks, but given the purpose of a car, isn't a deal breaker for me.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  14. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

I still play cds in my car. My commute is about an hour each way and a lot of my music listening is in the car using cds. I use Google Play for podcasts and I have listened to music via Google Play and it actually sounds pretty good! (using the high quality option, which I believe is 320?).

Anyway, I do prefer cd but when the time comes and I need to buy a new car and if it only comes with streaming options, then I'm okay with that I guess.

15. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

My wife just got a Buick Encore. Nice car. Searched all over the dashboard for a cd slot. It was comical after a while. Went back the next day and looked again. No slot!

16. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I will likely purchase a new Subaru Outback, and they all come with CD players PLUS Apple CarPlay, so I am relieved!

17. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

You put that all-together very nicely. As Bruce Cockburn's song put it so well, "the trouble with normal is it always gets worse".

When shopping for cars I find the tag-line "Build Your own Car" to be the most annoying aspect of business bumpf going on today. (They mean choose among a few ill-assorted packages of frills and frippery.)

I bought a 2018 VW partly because it has a cd player. But among the many discouraging discoveries is the lack of an audible signal for the display on the rear-view camera. It seems that feature was only available on another upper level package.

My previous Fiat vehicle had a an audible accompaniment - when the back-up display showed green, yellow and red lines depending on how close you were to something behind, there was a small beeping noise that increased in frequency the closer one got to the obstacle. Some idiot at VW seems to think I should pay for leather seats to have that little audible feature included... :(

18. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

We looked at the 2018 Encore. As well as not having a cd player, the USB port was way down out of sight in a dark receptacle. As I remarked in another thread here, only an agile monkey could access and insert a music stick :(

19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If there's so much flack and mother-hen-ing about people comitting crimes against humanity by continuting to use CD's, no matter how loudly the clickbait tells us otherwise...then, howcum nobody's developed an LP deck for trendier cars now...? :D

Surely, Crosley's got one in development somewhere, right...?

20. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

It does not look like many 2018 cars have the USB port in a good location ... :(

21. aficionaudio

aficionaudio Forum Resident

I have a 2015 Civic, and there's a USB dongle at the bottom of the center console. It even reads and plays back music from my iPod Classic! :D

JeffMo likes this.
  22. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

That has not changed in the 2018 Honda CRV, i.e. same location ...

23. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Many newer cars irritate me too because they just dumb down the driving experience from traction control to not offering a manual transmission anymore to interlinking everything on the car through the entertainment system. This is then why it costs so much when you have to take it in for repairs or maintenance. I would take back my plain jane '95 Civic if I could. I don't know why car companies think the average American can get a new car every 3-5 years now.

24. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I have 2012 Pilot probably the last year without a USB port. I want to keep it for a few more years, but if I take another road trip it would be great to have the USB port for tunes. Perhaps there is a way to wire one into my existing car stereo - remember those FM tuners we put in cars with only AM radios?

P.S. for Time Is On My Side - I just bought a used car with manual transmission for my son to learn/drive. Maybe he won't be able to buy a car with a manual, but at least he knows how to drive one.

25. contium

contium Forum Resident

Yeap. My new Nissan Titan does this. I have a 1TB iPod and it takes forever to index. Annoyed. I switched to a 16GB iPod to speed things up. Oddly enough, my wifes 2017 Nissan doesn't index but reads off the iPod. I stick the 1TB iPod in her car and everything is instant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.