My new Nagaoka MP-500 phono cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hail Vinyl!, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hail Vinyl!

Hail Vinyl! Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi. Thank you in advance for reading.

Well, I had promised myself that I wasn't going to spend a (somewhat) big amount of money in an audio component, but but being able to buy a Nagaoka MP-500 cartridge (Nagaoka's top of the line) at 50% off the price it can be found at in stores like Needle Doctor was a temptation that I couldn't resist. Fellow forumite Kazu offers the absolutely best price for Nagaoka products, and his service and commitment to excellence are top-notch.

So, now I can say that I'm the happy owner of the top of the line product from Nagaoka. After installing the cartridge and setting it up, I can tell I'm amazed at its performance. What a great tracker! way more stable than the MP-110. And regarding the sound, well, in this case I think that listening is much better than speaking:

Since this is a medium-to-high compliance cartridge, I did a lot of research about tonearm mass/cartridge compliance relationship trying to get the best performance (allowed by my modest setup) from this fine product. That's why I also bought the lightest headshell currently available in the market, the Rek-O-Kut extra low mass SME-like headshell, available at www.esotericsound.com. It's even lighter than the Technics headshell. And, as I said in another thread I created, I also bought an ART DJPRE-II phono preamp just because of the MP-500's lower output voltage. According to the Kabusa phono preamp parameter calculator, the Musical Fidelity V-LPSII's gain is not enough for a cartridge with 3mV output voltage.

Not so much to say, really. I'm happy. I like how this new piece of gear contributes to improve my modest setup's sound quality. For many reasons, I don't qualify as an "audiophile", but I won't deny that I'm enjoying the "upgrade bug bite" a lot. Thank you for your time!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Well there is a difference for shure, more detail and "bigger" sound if that's what i hear. I also own the ART DjPre II and 'am very happy with it.

kazu and Hail Vinyl! like this.
  3. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Would like to see how an MP200 compares against an MP500. Those are the two that I have it narrowed down to....

thanks for the video, very helpful :righton:

4. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

I am very happy!
    Because your sound is very improved AND you became happier!!! :pineapple:
    Thank you very much for posting a great testimonial on my website.

Kazu

punkmusick, Old Rusty and Hail Vinyl! like this.
  5. Hail Vinyl!

You know, the more I see/hear it, the more amazed I get. Supposedly, the MP-110 is a much better match for my turntable's tonearm than the MP-500. But I had to spend a lot of time making the MP-110 to work properly on my turntable. I don't know if it's because I did the homework before getting the MP-500 (BTW, thank you missan and Luckydog for your invaluable help with my research!), but what I thought it could be potentially problematic turned out to be a wonderful thing. The MP-500 feels way firmer on the vinyl than the MP-110 when I received it (and there's still a difference between the two). I wasn't totally convinced when I decided to take the plunge, but now I can say with absolute confidence that my money was extremely well spent.

Heckto35 and kazu like this.
  6. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

The Mp 500 sounds better after about 20 hours and after about 50 hours it really sings.
    It can sound very slightly dry to begin with.
    I think it is a very natural sounding cartridge with a beautifully open and 3D soundstage.
    Clear and accurate but with just a hint of warmth.

7. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

YES!

When I purchased MP500 soon, I could not be satisfied with very hard sound. But after about 50 hours, it changed to the gentle and wet sound with detail.
    Yes, it really sings now.

8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It's good that you have swappable headshells. Keep that old MP-110 mounted and ready to go ... there are some records which will sound better with it, whether it's due to their condition or their production. For instance, I love the whallop the MP-110 gives to early Black Sabbath and other heavy rock albums, and it also helps cut down on the boosted treble some '80s albums have, like Prince's 1999.

bluemooze, kazu and Hail Vinyl! like this.
  9. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

Bigger sound. The high hat and background vocals are doubled. The cymbals just sound incredible, and Stevie is standing right in front of You with no mike. Very life-like sound!

10. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

My new MP-500!
    I'm surprised that it's Terrific sound!
    I really like to it.

Thanks for your support! Hail Vinyl !!

Cyclone Ranger, samn and Hail Vinyl! like this.
  11. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

One of the best MM carts on the market today. I would like to hear one.

bluesky and kazu like this.
  12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

You have to marvel at how much the internet has brought the world together.

Here we have a person in Colombia singing the praises of a Japanese retailer, on a USA-based forum. And everyone (including someone in Panama) is communicating more or less in real time.

If this kind of thing keeps happening, we might eventually find a way to achieve international understanding and world peace. :righton:

13. chaz

chaz Senior Member

I have a MP-50 in my setup and couldn't be happier.

Jelloalien and kazu like this.
  14. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

All the best. I bought a new cartridge (2m Blue , very happy with it's even handed sound & clarity on all recordings).

15. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

You haven't heard it but claim it's one of the best? :eek:

Heckto35 and bluemooze like this.
  16. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

That's right. I'm going by word of mouth and reviews. :D

juno6000 likes this.
  17. Puckoon

Puckoon Forum Resident

Until someone mentions cables.....

18. Hail Vinyl!

This post made my day. :edthumbs:

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

After running my M97xE/Jico combo for months and months, I swapped out for the headshell with my MP-500 a couple days ago. Made a slight alignment tweak and it's absolutely singing. It's not as good with IGD on worn LPs as the Jico, but on good used records and especially new ones, it's fantastic. I love the velocity it gives to percussive sounds. Nice to be running it again!

Antares likes this.
  20. ptkc

ptkc New Member

Hi, I know this thread is a little old, but I was wondering if kazu is still selling this cartridge? Does anyone know? I've been thinking about it, but the price is a little off-putting. It would jump fairly high on my list if somebody were selling it cheaper than the online sources. thanks, patrick

21. Hail Vinyl!

22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Sorry but I really think you should have upgraded the TT first. That cart is overkill on a Numark ! Like Ferrari wheels on a moped !

23. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Nicely done. So that Nagy does sing, doesn't it...?

Congrad's.

Happy Listening!

24. Hail Vinyl!

Absolutely. It's a terrific cartridge. Thank you! :)

25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

:righton:I'm listening to some Stray Cats right now with mine. Still sounds great. Glad I got it before the prices jumped.

Hail Vinyl! likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.