My new Rega RP6 - Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Austin Lee, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

You shared that with me once before, part of it anyway
    Apple and oranges (turntables with wobbly platters to a cartridge)

Give them a medal or letter of recommendation?

All kidding aside, even more evidence for my case to never buy REGA again; the crap quality control I am learning more and more about each day
    (and people give SHURE a hard time since the Mexico move)
    That was your dealer taking care of you, not REGA
    With the ridiculous prices charged for those "hand made" carts that's what they should have done
    But still, and my point, no skin off the clowns in Texas back

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

If I were to buy into peoples complaints about any brand, no matter how good its reputation, I'd never buy anything.

Dmann201, octaneTom, Mazzy and 9 others like this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

And people don't generally hop on a forum to say that everything is fine.

Mij Retrac and GoldprintAudio like this.
  4. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Lol!!!! Don't believe that I have ever seen an 'Everything is Fine' all the way through any thread - ever!!!! Ha! Nah! That would be a miracle, for sure!!!

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Well, there are a lot of "it's the greatest thing I've ever heard!!!" comments after a new purchase.
    To which I often think, what else have you heard? If you own a rp1 and buy a rp6,
    It may very well be true it's the greatest sound you've ever heard, but that doesn't really mean
    what is implied. It's a very literal statement or belief that's often taken to mean much more
    than it does.

6. HowardK

HowardK New Member

Have you aligned the cartridge with an arc protractor? I have an RP6 and Ortofon Black with a 2mm spacer, and got very good results with the Baerwald alignment using an Accutrak arc protractor. The cartridge is now positioned about 2mm back from the front of the head shell, with a slight clockwise twist. I also set VTF to 1.6g, but set anti-skate (bias) to 1.o, which is lower than Rega recommends. I do not hear any mistracking distortion, even during loud passages at the inner-most grooves.

7. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

So happy Thorens just came up in time with their new downtrickled TD 309 line-up and I got the super 25 year anniversary deal on the fantastic TD 206 just when I needed a new table replacing my trusty 40 year old and running DUAL CS 701 DD (R.I.P:) Otherwise I would have gotten me a REGA RP 40.
    Hey what a difference in bzud quality vs REGA and best of all. The sound is just as good as that REGA RP 40, the TD 309 is as good as the RP 6 if the ramkings in mags go at least. Great MDF platter, adjustable feet, fine-tuning of speed and tonarm height, VTA and azymuth. A superior tonearm and no hum whatsoever. This is the quietest Vinyl rig i ever saw or heard. You hear NOTHING until the needle hits te groove. Fantastic performance- a joy to own and use !
    Cannot stop recommending THORENS - German engineering and 125 years of experience pay off. Even with the TD 203 for half the price of a TD 309 or RP 6 you can use carts up to a grand without limiting their sonic virtues too much.
    The best single piece of audio hardware in my system. A happy camper now since 8 or 9 months - Perfection out of the box- Look at every piece and you can only bow down to the genoious behind the development of this affordable rig. Each detail is well hought out and made with precision tools. Soecial japanese bearings, cold plated and 4 times rolled aluminium wih a resonance ring to avoud reverbs, tonearm weight lowered down for the same reason. adjustable pulley around the motor (sits in a membrane). all that brings a black silence to the performance allowing the cart to deliver each and any little signal. So you hear detauls and timings like never before on sub High End turntables ! Simply amazing !

ogbbv likes this.
  8. Zerg2905

Zerg2905 New Member

Good morning,
    I had the same issue... to a lesser degree. Removed platter / sub, changed position, much better now. Still... 1300 EUR turntables shouldn't have that sort of issue.
    Thanks.

9. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I have had an all-Rega system for quite a while now. I have owned various different components and was once a Naim addict. My current set up consists of RP6/Exact / Apollo CD player / Mira 3 integrated amp / RS 3 speakers / Rega cabling throughout.

Everything is fine.

Marvellous in fact.

Shiver likes this.
  10. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Could you tell us what to do exactly for those with a platter not level with a plinth slightly?
    Please could you detail your experience?
    It would greatly help!

11. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

Hi Folks,

I appreciate all the information provided in this tread by Rega RP6 owner’s. I made the decision a few months ago to purchase the table with a lot of apprehension, and the information found here made my decision a bit easier. My concerns were more related to the transportation and some info on other sites and threads about the quality of the the Rega.

I ordered it through the internet, since I work overseas, from Soundstage Direct. The customer service was fantastic. I took advantage that I needed to travel to Miami were my family lives and waited for the table to arrive. I tracked the order and waited for the UPS guy to come. To my shocking surprise I noticed that he had the box on the floor and on an upright position. That started to worry me since I had no way of verifying anything (only visual) until I return back to the island (DR). I did unpacked and visually did my best to see that everything was ok. Now my second challenge was to take it back home. I placed the table on a carry-on bag and try to keep it in the right position. Everyone at the airport looked at me crazy, as of why I wasn’t using the wheels on the carry-on, and I have the carry on flat on my arms. A few TSA officers asked me what I was carrying as I walk into the security checkpoint. One of them followed me and asked me again. I had to explain to him to make it easy that I was a DJ J and I was carrying a turntable…..no sense to try to explain audiophile sound,etc….they checked the carry-on was I passed the security point and I was finally free to go. A big hassle, but I guess in this hobby, we need to do what we need to do.

Again…thanks for the informative and detailed explanation of some of the folks in the thread, and to those who also challenged Rega proposing other options.

Yesterday I upgraded the sub-platter (Groovetracer) and it makes a big difference…best upgrade to my system that I have noticed an improvement immediately.

I couldn't contain my joy...so I had to tell someone :pineapple:

Edit: I got the Rega RP6/Exact combo

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    ogbbv, rischa, Ntotrar and 5 others like this.
  12. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Most happy for you! I absolutely love my all Rega 2nd system! It's in Brasil so I can relate to your trials in getting good gear to places where good gear is hard to get. Happy listening.

jon9091 and Tony-A like this.
  13. Congrats
    . You are a Turntable Moses it seems.... a long trek. Have mine for a year and half now along with the groove tracer and I couldn't be happier.

Tony-A likes this.
  14. russk

russk Forum Resident

Congratulations. Once I got the kinks ironed out mine it has be fantastic. No regrets. Mine came from Soundstage Direct too. Great customer service.

Tony-A likes this.
  15. jon9091

Loving my RP6 too. It's time for a cart replacement. I'm trying to decide whether to get the Exact 2 again, or move on to something else (like the Dynavector 20x2 L) I'm also pondering the Phonomenon II to go with...

16. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

Will like to hear your impressions when you get it done!

Regards,

jon9091 likes this.
  17. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

I put a 20X2L on my P5 about a year and a half ago and I haven't thought about changing cartridges since.

jon9091 likes this.
  18. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

That is what I keep reading about the 20X2L

19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have another Exact sitting here on the shelf waiting its turn.

Mazzy likes this.
  20. james

james Summon The Queen

Has anyone had the tone arm lift on theirs stop working. This one goes up, but won't stay full up. It slowly goes back down

21. There are pills for that now. :tiphat:

But seriously that's never happened to me before.

kman likes this.
  22. james

james Summon The Queen

It is sitting mere inches from a big 845 tube. Maybe it's stage fright

Mazzy likes this.
  23. jon9091

I know the P5 is a bit different that the RP 6, but how did you find the install process overall? That's one of my concerns actually.

24. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Yes, mine had the same issue. The problem was the little nub on the brass cam that holds the lift in the up position wore down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.