My new tube integrated..the Raven Audio Blackhawk

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nephrodoc, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, I’ve had this for about 2 weeks now. Been in the market for a while, looking to upgrade from my Peachtree Audio Nova 65 and have auditioned comparable integrateds from a few other companies. After A few hours with the Blackhawk, I knew my search was over.

The Blackhawk is a step up up from the Nighthawk. Build quality absolutely awesome, steel and more steel. The silver is accented with a black automotive finish. It came with NOS preamp tubes from RCA and Phillips. Power tubes are new production Svetlana 6L6GC. Power output is 20wpc

The Blackhawk sounds fabulous paired with my Zu Audio Omen MK2 dirty weekends. This is the best I’ve ever heard the Omens sound. Midrange and vocals now have a holographic 3D presentation. I’m getting much more detail I was missing before. Top end is nice and smooth. I’m also getting much more forceful bottom end, bass is very controlled and tight. I’m not sure how 20wpc is outperforming the 65wpc Peachtree, but it is.

Another nice feature, the amp does not run hot. I believe the tubes are are running at lower voltages, and will help prolong tube life as well. Other tube amps I tried were like space heaters, this is nowhere near that.

I am very pleased with this amplifier, and highly recommend it.

Details are here if anyone is interested:
    Blackhawk Limited Edition Integrated Amplifier

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Nice, congratulations.

3. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

Wow. I don't own anything with tubes, but that is a pretty object.

4. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I would love to get one of these someday, but I think I would also have to get some more efficient speakers too.

5. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Congrats- life is good

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

Was really set on a Nighthawk but wasn’t sure if the sound would gel with my music choices.
    Admittedly didn’t feel like buying and then having to send it back, not because of quality, but because my non-audiophile tastes weren’t a good fit.

7. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Congrats! I've been enjoying an Osprey from RavenDave for awhile now and no desire to make a change anything soon.

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

congrats and nicely done!
    we can only "imagine" what it looks like....

Nephrodoc likes this.
  9. RavenDave

RavenDave RavenDave

Congratulations! Glad you enjoy our hard work.

And.... Minty Fresh my personal taste runs from Opeth all the way to Porcupine Tree and from Sevendust to Nora Jones... Frank Sinatra to Five Finger Death Punch.... so you might be surprised what a good tube amp can yield for your music, no matter the choice of genre. It's about the emotional connection that tubes give that digital and solid state usually cannot. It's mostly in the 2nd order harmonics, where there is some kind of "human emotional response" tied in. It may be difficult to describe, but those that own tube amps know immediately what I am talking about.

Then again, we do have a money back guarantee, which precious few have used but just know its there for you should you ever decide to try. Three people in five years have used it.

10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Sweet.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

20 watts PP per channel is very conservative. Amp must be operating in Class A. Very nice amp- congrats.

12. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

That's a spectacular amp!

13. bucketsrb

bucketsrb Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new amp, I've had mine now going on three years.

14. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Oh yes indeed.

15. RavenDave

RavenDave RavenDave

The new Raven Audio MK3 Avian Series integrated amplifiers are finally here in stock in large numbers. We will keep at least a dozen or so of each model ready to ship from now on. And the new manufacturing shop is able to build a dozen or so every other week now, so waiting is a thing if the past. Each amp will be burned in for a week, and tested with a new set of power tubes - and we will also have a spare quad for those that wish to have an extra one sent. Anyone that wishes to audition one of the new Nighthawk, Blackhawk, or Osprey MK3's can do so immediately. There are several ways to do so. If you are interested just call me at 936-662-5100. These new integrated amplifiers are just incredible. The new passive subwoofer output filter is a game changer too. Those that use a powered sub can free the amp of bass duties completely now by setting the subwoofer output filter at 80 or 100 Hz and the amp will act like it's 2 to 3 and sometimes even 4 times more powerful - depending on your speakers. If the amp only has to handle frequencies above 80 or 100 Hz, therein lies the game changing power increase. All of these amps have a 100% money back guarantee. If the amp you choose doesn't clearly outperform any of our competitors' amps, at up to twice its price, we will refund the full price of the amp. We don't ever want any dissatisfied Raven Audio customers out there. And we know of no other competitors that can outperform them. If anyone knows of any, we want to know too. So, as long as the amp is returned in the same shape it arrived in, you will receive ALL of the money you paid for the amp back. We figure that some day someone will send one back... but that hasn't happened yet. And wait till you hear our new speakers and power cables~!!! The same guarantee goes for them also. If not the best... a full refund! When it comes to speakers... that's kind of risky right? Yeah... but wait till you hear them. I still cannot believe how good the new 2019 products are. Even though the speakers aren't really supposed to be a 2019 product, the first 2020 ones will be here in about 3 weeks. The working prototypes are so friggin' good that all my expensive stuff is now for sale. ALL OF IT~!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.