My New Tube Integrated- Way Under the Radar (Raven Audio Nighthawk) *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

After much auditioning I just brought home a new tube integrated amplifier, the Raven Audio Nighthawk.
    I'll post a review thread after Christmas when I open the box and set it up.
    This one flys under the radar of the mainstream because there are only two dealers (from what I understand) that carry them, one in NY and one in NW suburban Chicago, luckily only about half an hour drive from me.
    I actually went to the dealer to listen to speakers, and was blown away by this amplifier instead.
    All I can say is that the sound quality totally impressed me when compared to other amps in the price range.
    Possibly because it has a very limited feature set for the money- no DAC, no phono stage, no full function remote.
    I am so excited to get this thing running, I can't wait!

[​IMG]

2. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Price? Tube complement? Power?

bluemooze likes this.
  3. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

4. I'm of the opinion that for a LOT of audio gear less is mo better.

5. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Yes sir! As little as possible for the music signal to travel.

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Very interesting amp. I'm wondering how it would do on my Falcon LS3/5a's in a small room, classical music.

Jim in Houston likes this.
  7. avanti1960

Mine is the mkII and it lists for $2595, 20 WPC using 6l6 power tubes and 12AT7 / 12AU7 as the small signal tubes.
    The 20 WPC is quite substantial sounding and was able to drive the KEF LS50s quite loudly and dynamically. I just cannot believe how good the combo sounds.

The upgraded model (the Blackhawk limited) had a very sweet sound, which I really liked but the Nighthawk was more natural sounding.

http://www.ravenaudio.com/Nighthawk-MK2-Integrated-Amplifier-_p_11.html

8. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

How does this compare to a Cronus Magnum? Seems to be somewhat similar, and certainly very similarly priced...

9. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I would be curious about this as well. You also have the 2 really nice Line Magnetic options that are slightly cheaper (LM211ia and 216ia).

10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I'd be interested as well but I won't do business with an importer that does not list their phone number on their webpage and does not respond to emails.

The older I get, the more bad experiences I've had, the more important product support is to me.

I emailed Raven Audio today and got a couple of replies already. They seem like good folks, when things calm down for me I think I'll try one of their amps.

Erik A. flickinger likes this.
  11. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I remember I was researching the Nighthawk about a year ago and at that time I remember the price being under $2000. I think it was $1700 or $1800. Of course that was not the Mk 2 version you own. With this price increase I think the amp might be out of my budget. I am also considering the 6 watt Decware which starts at $1500 but I am not sure has enough power for me. I also wonder how the Raven compares to Rogue and Primaluna.

12. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

It's interesting that you're saying the 20wpc drives the LS50s nicely. What types / genres of music are you listening to?

I'm thinking about looking for a tube (or valve over here in the UK :)) amp next year but have read conflicting views about how they get on with the Kefs given that they're not the most sensitive speakers in the world!! I listen across most genres including classical / opera and a bit of jazz but I guess the bulk of my listening is either guitar based indie type stuff and electronica.

13. avanti1960

When I first heard the Raven I was auditioning some KEF LS50s and the system sounded amazing. Much better sounding than when I heard them with some Parasound solid state amplification.
    I made a note that tubes are the way to go with the KEFs.
    When I listened to the LS50s on the Cronus Magnum II I was instantly disappointed. Same music, same speakers.
    I had heard the Rogue Stereo 100 and RP-5 combination and absolutely loved it- even though it is a $7K setup I was not anticipating such a drop off in sound quality going to the Cronus Magnum II.
    It sounded good, very punchy and dynamic with good bass, but the midrange had some hardness to the sound and the high frequencies had subtle edges of the "breaking glass" tube smear sound.
    So I left without attempting to make a deal and headed back to the Raven dealer to see if I wasn't hearing things.
    The Nighthawk sounded incredible and we took it home.
    If you think about it, the Nighthawk is more expensive than the CM II and does not have a headphone amplifier or phono stage- it would be expected to sound better and it does, much better IMHO.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. avanti1960

See previous comments about the comparison the the Cronus Magnum.
    I have not heard the Primaluna but my dealer used to carry them and believes the Raven products sound better.

15. avanti1960

That's what I heard about the KEFs as well, which was why I was surprised at how good they sounded with a 20 watt/channel tube amp.
    I heard the LS50s at an audio show in Chicago being driven by some high powered Parasound amplifier. To my ears it sounded loud and not all that great- I would have never considered purchasing them after that experience. I know KEF were trying to fill a room with the LS50s and impress with their power but they were doing a disservice to their sound quality capabilities IMHO.
    As far as musical tastes- when I auditioned the LS50s on the Nighthawk I brought with me some high energy dynamic horn based Jazz- Michael Brecker "Tales from the Hudson".
    A well recorded CD and the sound absolutely blew me away. Dynamic, loud and very real sounding.
    I also brought a CD by an Indie band The Decemberists, "The Crane Wife". It was so clear and open sounding- made my home system sound horrible by comparison.
    My home system is solid state 150 watts / channel with larger floorstanding speakers. I was completely satisfied with the 20 watt tube amp driving the LS50s and recommend the same with no hesitation.

Squiggsy68 and toddrhodes like this.
  16. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

@avanti1960 What shop was it, if you don't mind? We'll be up near Schaumburg sooner rather than later and I'm pretty sure I can convince the wife to make a slight detour to go check it out!

17. avanti1960

Todd-
    Toska Audio in Mt Prospect on Central Rd / Rt 14 NW Highway.
    Peter keeps weird hours because it's his passion / hobby not his means of support so check the hours before you go.

18. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Great looking amp. Enjoy!

avanti1960 likes this.
  19. IanL

IanL Senior Member

What kind of 6L6 tubes do you have in there? I used to have a McIntosh MC-240 and loved the sound of those 6L6 tubes. Mine had early 80s GEs in it.

20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Do you know what kind of warranty comes with the Raven? Based on your comments I am interested in this amp again. Part of what attracts me to Decware is the lifetime warranty. $2000 is a lot of money for me and if I'm gonna lay out that much cash I would feel better with a substantial warranty!

21. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up!!

22. avanti1960

lifetime warranty not including tubes.

23. avanti1960

i will open the box tonight and check. supposedly they ship with NOS tubes! i also know that they are matched and balanced before shipping because each tube box has a hand written note about where to plug them in for each individual position on the amp.

24. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Cool thanks! I cant wait to hear more of your impressions after you get it going in your system!

25. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Matched and balanced? I thought this amp had auto-bias? Doesn't that obviate the need for matching?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.