My Sherwood RV-7050R receiver score at my local Goodwill for $8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradOlson, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Since the Kenwood I bought used 3 years ago for $10 (which was made in 1989 or so) ended up biting the dust with it powering on but no sound although sometimes sound did come in if I wait a long time and having the volume cranked up loud for a few seconds afterwards. I replaced it with the Sherwood RV-7050R receiver and it sounds great. This receiver even has up to 5 surround channel inputs which I did attempt to try this with the Billy Joel Streetlife Serenade Quad SACD to try the quad layer and the sound was way too loud and I couldn't control the volume and since I live in an apartment, that is off limits although the quad sounds awesome on that it in Pro-Logic, properly decoded. I paid $8 for the Sherwood at my local Goodwill and it is awesome sounding. The Kenwood has been dropped off at the recycling center.

For more info on the Sherwood. Sherwood RV-7050R AV-receiver review, test, price

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    JohnO, Gary, jamesmaya and 2 others like this.
  2. BradOlson

BTW, I do not use any of the video features of A/V receivers so if I were to buy a brand new receiver, it would be 2 channel, but since I buy so much of my electronic products in thrift stores, garage sales, etc. that means that I do not necessarily need the latest features, etc. if I end up coming across an A/V receiver of any era. For network stuff with my receivers: For Bluetooth, I have a Bluetooth speaker connected to the receiver from the headphone jack out of the speaker, into the receiver (the amp on my speaker is decent for its purpose and the volume turned out makes it sound great on it), for MP3 based Internet Radio, I have an older Aluratek Internet Radio, for stuff that I can't access on the Internet Radio device, I have my Roku and I often turn on the Bluetooth speaker and use my tablet for that as well to wirelessly send the audio from the tablet to the Bluetooth speaker connected to the receiver. The phono input on older A/V receivers and many 2 channel speakers, past and present are more appealing to me than tons of HDMI inputs, etc. I hook up my video stuff composite and then my Funai VCR/Recorder combo output it all to HDMI (with the help of a composite video A/V selector hooked up to the composite video input of the VCR/DVD Recorder combo).

3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Great score, Brad! Btw, my Sherwood RX-4109 is still pumpin' out the tunes.

4. BradOlson

I still have my Sherwood RX-4109 set up in the living room as well pumping out the tunes.

jamesmaya likes this.
  5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. The AV receiver volume control should work the multichannel analog inputs just like it would any other input, analog or digital. I assume you're using your Pioneer 563 universal player.

For $8, you should feel good about having a local repair shop give it a once-over, or at least a bench test. You'll be amazed at the difference in hearing that quad disc in real quad.

I couldn't find ANYthing about the 7050 online.

Otherwise, it should be a good performer, and a steal at $8.

I set my friend up with a used Sherwood integrated, and I was shocked at how good it was.

Good luck.

6. BradOlson

Yes indeed, it was the Pioneer DV-563A Universal player

7. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Nice grab.

BradOlson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.