My Sony MDR-V6 Headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Yeah, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Those are fake? I can't tell a difference from my 1991 pair, other than the non-gold plug attachment.

2. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

3. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

I just got some V6's around Christmas (2011) here in Canada locally - sounds great and I assume not fakes. The one definite difference I notice in picture 11 - the notch and numbering on mine is better in line like in picture 12 rather than number and notch staggered.

Impressive fakes otherwise! Mine has "Made in Thailand" stamped on the left side also.

4. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

Looks like the MDR-V6 is not alone when it comes to inventory levels lately. Perhaps we are now feeling the inventory effects of the flood in Thailand.

5. Tuberocity

Tuberocity New Member

In respone to availability of the MDR-V6's, Patience, Read Below

I Think I may have bought one of the first pairs of these available as I paid retail, which then, was $119.99 or $129.99, I forget. Bought them at the now defuntc, at least brick and mortar wise, Circuit City. They still sound great these 20 odd years later, though as most with these older cans, the pads are shot, and need to be replaced, thanks for all the info provided hear as to which pads are best. No matter what anyone says, these are one of the best cans one can purchase under $200, BAR NONE!

Now for why there is a shortage. I saw this as well; when Amazon doesn't have them, one emmediately thinks they are no longer manufactured, and that is probably an accurate assumption; however, the reason is not because Sony has decided yet again to ditch these as part of their product line, but rather they are in short supply as are a lot of computer hardware, electronics in general, and just about anything else made in Taiwan. There is extreme flooding in Taiwan that is hampering production. You can see this first hand in the states by going to Best Buy, trying to buy more than one hard drive! lol They are limiting hard drive purchases to 1 per customer due to the flooding. So, this is my guess, and hopefull reason why the MDR-V6 is in short supply. I need another pair, and can't really afford one at this time, I could, but would be tough. I am going to wait it out as I am fairly certain the short supply is due to the above. Take care all, and thanks for all the great info here on this site, glad I ran across it. Hope this info saves someone from jumping into the deep end, and spending way too much for these headphones. Tom/Tuberocity

6. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

7. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

I just bought a pair from Amazon a couple weeks ago.

8. kap'n krunch

kap'n krunch Forum Resident

I've had my original V6 since the late 80's, have bought like 3 MDR-7506 (the replacements) and still use them basically daily ...and commuting!!!
    To me, they are the best ever...
    Proof is, they still are around...don't mess with success...and still an industry standard...

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Great phones for remote recording—tends to overemphasize certain problems, like A/C buzz.

10. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Something must be wrong with my V6 headphones. I bought them in '92. They are extremely bright with no low end. I always wondered why music was so fatiguing, but then I listened to some other headphones and realized it was just my V6s. Maybe something is wrong with them.

I now use a pair of Sennheiser PX100 headphones that can collapse and travel. They have excellent sound.

11. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The V6 is brighter and lose some low end when under-amped. If you plug them directly in a portable player they may sound like you describe. Even when well amped they tend to the bright side. Their strength for monitoring is they have a frequency response with no big peaks or holes or bloat and their sound tends to emphasize problems like sibilance or hum. Not the best recipe for relaxing non-fatiguing music listening.

I have the Sennheiser PX100 too. Great for plugging directly in the iPod with no amp. Pleasant sound, not fatiguing. Good music listening.

12. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I'm not begrudging the believers in these headphones, but to me they are painfully bright. I couldn't equalize the brightness out of them. Do these break in at all?

13. HiFiGuy528

14. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Any other recommended monitors in the same price range?

15. telliott

telliott Senior Member

I need to pull out my PX100 headphones and replace the plug. Anyone find a good plug that's not too hard to install and doesn't require soldering?

Tim

16. HiFiGuy528

Audio Technica M50 is very very good, but at $150.

17. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Finally got some of these. So far I have to get used to the closed design ( I have used Grado's for so long!) but so far, so good.

18. Excuseme where can buy new pad for sony mdr v6? Original pad in crap!
    Thanks.

Carmine.

19. Thurenity

20. I live in Napoli(Italy)

21. Thurenity

I edited after-the-fact. :) Those pads are very good, so hopefully you can find a location more local that offers them.

22. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I have the Beyerdynamic DT250 earpads on my V6 as well. A great option. They won't fall apart like the stock Sony pads. You should be able to find Beyerdynamic earpads for sale in the EU.

23. Ok thanks friends
    i use V6 for portable player(iphone/ipad),great sound!

24. donunus

donunus Cheapskate Audiophile and Massive Music Lover

How do you find the newer MDR-7510 compared against the V6 and the CD900ST

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.