My Tape Deck is giving me problems... Again

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Oct 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

On my Technics RS-B14 with Dolby B & C (which I have had for about 2-ish years now) I've noticed that when I listen to some pre-recorded tapes, I've noticed an almost in and out or wavering effect, that is only impacting the treble. Something to compare it to is almost like an FM radio signal going in and out to a certain effect. It even happens on some home recorded tapes (I have recorded on the same deck!) It is mostly noticeable with recordings with Dolby on them, but I keep having the same effect with Dolby turned on, so could it possibly be the wear of the tapes themselves, or does my tape deck need a service, an adjustment, or a new head? (Or even worse... A replacement?) I don't think it is the tape, as I just cleaned the head less than 2 weeks ago and have barely listened to it since then...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. Try cleaning the heads.

3. youraveragevinylcollector

I forgot to mention that I have had this problem before (sorry), when recording from tape to my computer, but it only seemed to occur with Dolby B on. I've sadly already tried that, and it hasn't worked. It seems to be back, affecting virtually all tapes, whether are Dolby encoded or not, what kind of tape type the tape is, or recording levels.

4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ahhhhh cassettes........

Grant and Daniel Thomas like this.
  5. Did you clean the pinch roller too? Align the heads?

6. youraveragevinylcollector

I have cleaned the pinch roller, but, I have had my deck serviced before (would play quiet and more towards the right channel), and I personally think it is on its last legs. When I record, sometimes the head hangs up and won't drop down when it is at the end of the tape, and that takes about 5-10 minutes to sort out when it does that, and recordings are starting to show some flutter.

7. youraveragevinylcollector

Ahhhhh, still better sounding and more reliable than 8-track tapes, and less expensive than vinyl... and can hold more music than a CD. But Jesus, they have their share of problems.

Daniel Thomas and johnny q like this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

I loved them. This was the first time I could make greatest hits from my albums and play them cruising in my car! :edthumbs:

9. Bingo Bongo

Ahhhhh 8-tracks. Who am I kidding, they sucked!!! :D

johnny q likes this.
  10. youraveragevinylcollector

And the first time you could record a mixtape without having only 10-15 minutes and then worry about a program change. But they were an even bigger mess when the tape was eaten (I have thankfully never had that problem ever before.)

11. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

It might be the belts and pinch roller. I replaced both on a Sony ES cassette deck I have and it made a major difference. $20 on amazon or ebay, I forget.

12. youraveragevinylcollector

You think it would help the sound issue? And my pinch roller does look rather old.

13. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

All belts eventually stretch. Replacing them should IMO lessen deviations on all your tapes.

As for the pinch rollers, my deck is about 20 years old and I had used rubber conditioner on it but it was only a marginal improvement as the rubber had dried out. It could be the cause of the problem you described, especially if the surface of the roller has good and bad spots.

14. youraveragevinylcollector

If whatever I do does not help the sound issue, would the JVC TD-X372 or another direct drive deck or a deck with bias tune be a better replacement and investment?

15. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

The only catch, of course, is finding someone willing to do maintenance and/or replace the belts if the deck uses belts. If you can get a tape deck repaired, that's great. But that's the main problem for me now. I've gone through two tape decks and a Walkman in the past couple years. It sucks because I still enjoy playing my 1990s tapes.

I know, I know, cassette quality stinks compared to LP and CD, but I enjoy it. When the tapes aren't being chewed up, that is.

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Pinch roller

17. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Give the deck a full tune up, if you can find someone who knows how that is.

18. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

When was the last time the heads were demagnetized? That's an easier fix than a new playback head.
    If you have another deck, play a problematic tape on that one and see what it sounds like.

Dan

19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

That would not do what he is experiencing, magnetized heads will partially erase the highs off recorded tapes is the only real problem it causes.

20. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Just a thought. He was mentioning issues with top end. So hard to diagnose without actually hearing anything.

Dan

21. Bingo Bongo

I'm still waiting for someone to come on and complain about stealing music from a record and put it down to tape.... :shh:

22. timind

timind phorum rezident

23. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I see your deck can be replaced at a cost of only $20.00 to $40.00 plus shipping... clean units. Maybe a replacement deck would be the easiest solution?
    But I understand the satisfaction of knowing the cause of the problem and fixing it. I am familiar with tape decks and have serviced many, including reel to reel. The symptom you describe looks like a problem with the tape mechanism, could be a loose guide, or maybe the pinch roller bearing has become worn. Capstan bearings can also go bad. Having the Dolby off just makes the symptom almost imperceptible, but I am 99% sure still there if you listen critically. Dolby is very sensitive to a malfunction called azimuth drift..... which is exactly what happens as parts wear... or become loose.

Here is a simple test: if your receiver or preamp has a mono switch, turn it on. Play your tape without Dolby, and note if you hear any changes in high frequencies, and also a phasey tone that comes and goes (changes in the sound) This is proof the problem is in the transport, a mechanical problem. If the belt needs changing, and also the take up belt or tire (a rubber roller that drives the take up spindle) then these will factor in and aggravate the problem.

Technics builds a good deck, Sony does too and Pioneer, Nakamichi will be expensive when serviced,
    Steve VK

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Big thing to consider also. Technics made some direct drive machines, mechanically way more reliable than most. If you can find one of those in nice order, they are excellent transports.

GuildX700 and The FRiNgE like this.
  25. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

could be the machine is out of alignment with the pre-recorded tapes. also, when the heads start to go, the top end sound will be noticed first. have you tried playing the same tapes with and without dolby? noise reduction is a funny thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.