My vintage McIntosh MX-110 preamp surprised me today. Follow up post #61!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 11, 2011.

1. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Best to consult the owner's manual of the particular SUT in question. .

MC2505 (metered version of the MC250), MC240 and a pair of MC30s - all perform excellently with the MX110.

2. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

So what about the C22 preamp vs the MX110 tuner/preamp? The C22s tend to go for more money (more inputs may be the reason) than the MX110. I guess sonically the stepped bass and treble on the C22 would be an advantage over the MX110 -- especially if the tone controls are out of the circuit in the detent position.

But would it be accurate to say that the C22 is more of a derivative "me too" design -- and the MX110 is more uniquely a MAC design? I've read the 1963 C22 is essentially a clone of the famed 1950s Marantz 7C. Would that be accurate?

One cool thing the Mx110 has that the C22 does not (correct me if I'm wrong) are the phono and aux volume trim controls on top to optimize/homogenize the input levels of various sources when moving from one source to another.

From a aesthetic design standpoint, it looks like McIntosh just repurposed the innovative 1962 MX110 faceplate design for the 1963 C22. On the C22, the "Input Selector" and "Mode Selector" reside in a hollowed out rectangular area where the FM dial resides on the MX110. It looks like MAC just repurposed the MX110 FM tuner dial tooling window for the C22.

While this repurposing may have been for cost efficiency, the MX110 has a very intentional industrial design (where form follows function), whereas the C22 looks like it was put together with left over styling from other MAC products with a tuner.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  3. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

How would you describe the sonic differences between these three amps when used with your MX110?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Monkeyman, you buy the cleanest Mac amp you can find. If it's a 225, so be it, if it's a 240 or 275 or MC30 or MC60, the most rust-free, untampered with, unmodified Mac you can afford. That's how to pick. This stuff is all rare now, so whatever you can dig up will be fine. I would take a mint vintage 225 over a trashed 275. I want preserved art, not some rusted junker.

The MX-110 is what (in the 1990s) the vintage guys wanted because it was cheap and we could find them in mint condition for 500 bucks usually, all tubes included. It was just a bonus to me that it had a fine tuner in it. I just wanted the "McIntosh Preamp Sound" and the MX-110 was the cheapest way to get it. The C-22 was alright, but in the 1990s it cost a lot more and since fewer were originally sold, it was hard to find one untampered with or one that wasn't stored in a leaky outside shed for 40 years. I never did find a minty one for a reasonable price. I wasn't going to pay triple price for a C-22, I'd rather have three mint MX-110s instead (I still have two of them).

Personally, now that I have heard all the vintage pieces for many years in many systems, I think the MX-110 is more "tubelike" than the C-22, which sounds more to me like a neutral preamp, along the lines of a Marantz 7. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I want magic midrange, totally out of control 3D sound at all times from my vintage gear so that means MX-110 (or C-20, third variation, impossible to find.)

If I only had ONE system at home and had a lot of silly money and I wanted it all vintage, I'd still get Mac stuff. It gives the most bang for the vintage buck. It's highly exciting sounding, colored, tubey magical and (the last time I looked) still not TOO much money for clean units.

5. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Agreed on all points - especially that condition should absolutely take precedence over specific model in making a decision within the group of amps being discussed here.

I only heard the C22 once which was some time ago. What I don't like are the 4 dB stepped tone controls which cannot be set between detents.. The MX110 has a beautiful chrome chassis that allows both easy access as well as visibility of the tubes; C22 is just a plain painted metal enclosure with no tube exposure.

For me aesthetics is an important factor, and in that department, the MX110 is the winner hands down. Not to mention its excellent tuner section which is essentially the MR67.

In my book, 2 - 3 times the money is a steep tariff to pay for gains that may or may not be audible, personal preferences aside.

For whatever it may be worth, a well known Mc die hard once said an MX110 will get you "90% the way to a C22". That's enough for me.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    McLover, waaguirr and jmczaja like this.
  6. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

It seems like there is only one available in ebay today for $2999.99 and it is from Hong Kong. : (

Is there anything else that can get close? I see some of the solid state Mx series (from the 1990s) selling around $1K range. I wonder how good they are as compared to mx110.

7. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

As far as a MX series, nothing but a MX-110 & IMO, stay away from the others in the MX lineup. Going rate for a decent, well kept unit is in the $1200.00 neighborhood; plus or minus a $100 here or there. IMO the C22 is the superior preamp (w/o tuner of course).

Best Sir,

Bob

pdxway likes this.
  8. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Thank you! Will pay attention to Mx110 only and also C22.

9. Walter Koehler

Walter Koehler Forum Resident

Aloha

After few weeks listen to my new old setup MC-30 and MX-110 with the new tube configuration Western National 6L6GC I must say Sound its getting better and better cause there is huge holographic 3D Stage building up well it depends a lot on the recording Quality anyway thank you Steve share the idea with the WN 6L6GC beside lucky I could grab a quad of this fine sounding tubes
    Cheers enjoy the weekend
    :cheers:

10. OldVet

OldVet Active Member

I have a question. I am new to this forum, I have read that the input impedance of the power amp connected to a MX-110 should not be less than 100kohms. Someone said there would be "deleterious effects". I have a Emotiva XPA-2 with an input impedance of 33k ohms. So I wouldn't be able to use it with the MX-110, right? Also, if I bought a mc240 to go with it, that's only like 40 WPC, would it drive my 4 ohm axiom speakers which are full range? Thanks for the reply.

Simon A likes this.
  11. OldVet

OldVet Active Member

I also read another post where the poster said that anything over 10k ohms would be no problem, would like some feedback on that. I think it came from Terry Dewickt or somebody like that on another forum.

12. OldVet

OldVet Active Member

I talked Terry today and he said using my power amp is no problem, he said you can go down to 1000 ohms and there will be no mismatch. My amp is 26000 ohms so at least I can use it with the MX110 until I can afford a mc240.

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Well finally got myself a really nice MX110. Not a Z, but a very early M series example. Serial # 134M8 became available only a few minutes from where I live, so I jumped on it. Suffice to say I'm incredibly happy. I would think this could be from the 1st year of production, but perhaps somebody with more knowledge than me can provide more accurate information. Came with a lot of NOS GE and Telefunken tubes, although some of the tubes were replaced by the last owner with new production. I'm in the process of getting some NOS 6U8's and 12ax7's to play around. Very lovely sound, not dark and/or murky as I was somewhat led to believe. This might have something to do with using a Harman Kardon Citaton 22 amp for the present. It's input impedance is only about 22k, less then what McIntosh recommended, but no less an expert then Terry DeWick has indicated that this pre can drive any amp down to 10k. The sound that I'm getting is excellent, so I'm not concerned. My plan is to eventually team them up with a pair of Dynaco MKIII mono blocks that are in the shop at the moment. That should be a pretty decent combo.

The tuner is also outstanding which is important to me. Lots of great programming in the Bay Area. Here a few pics I snapped today. It came with a beautiful cabinet but it runs cooler bareback so no cab in the pics. There is some typical missing letters to be seen, but not only does that not bother me, but I was able to get this at a very nice price because of the "defects" that it has.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

62caddy, Mad Dog, Simon A and 6 others like this.
  14. Walter Koehler

Simon A and sberger like this.
  15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Beautiful. Have you done work on it or had it gone over since you bought it? I bought one a couple months ago via Audiogon and it is in the hands of a very good tech being restored now.

16. Walter Koehler

Aloha
    this gem was a lucky pick up in the german ebay several weeks ago for unbelievable 730€ i was really happy that the seller
    on ebay(his first ebay deal) offered me this amp after the auction finished i was bidding not seriously till 720€ then the guy with 730 came up and i didnt follow the auction any further cause my brother visit me and i thought strange auction finsihed at 730€ and said later to my brother this unknown buyer was lucky he made it for this cheap price
    any way later i got a message from the seller the first buyer cancelled the deal and its up to me i want the amp for the 730€
    well i bought this amp and really after 2 days the amp was in the house unpacking and really i was excited how good the conditions are and also from technical side no problem nice telefunken tubes etc. just plug and play no need service no need xtra cleaning or so just little dust strange thing there isnt a stamped SN on the back only fund a punched number on the right side of the chromchassis
    maybe i should invest into new front bulbs cause front is abit dark so all in all im very happy with this setup MC-30 and MX-110 no need more beside im kind of tired checking more amps -- i went through all the Pioneer section and Sansui too
    hard to beat this MC Vintagecombo
    cheers enjoy the music with stressfree Sound
    [​IMG]

62caddy and Simon A like this.
  17. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I like how the word "stereophonic" looks a little drunk.

Simon A, sberger and strymeow like this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

@sberger, who told you the McIntosh MX-110 was dark and/or murky? It really ain't, as you have discovered.

Enjoy. Leave that spaced out "STEREOPHONIC" alone. It's a trip!

SandAndGlass, sberger and strymeow like this.
  19. vintage_tube

Really Steve...I happen to have found more MX110 outer glass hidden inside a McIntosh box which I made up years ago for the MX110 club I was in. Since those days though, people fade away unfortunately for one reason or another and the club itself did the same.

Regarding the glass, McIntosh outsourced their dial glass at the time. This meant over the span of the MX110 run they had 3 variations of glass dimensions. I have 2 of the different sizes, each dependent upon the mounting method used -- slide over glass clips or end bracket metal bases. I owned two versions of the "Z" model and each dial scale was mounted different from the other -- a height difference of 1/8th inch. That difference, ever so slight meant the larger glass, by 1/8th inch would not fit the MX110 with the smaller glass.

So, if sberger wants to replace his glass with my reproduction, which uses super white epoxy, baked on at 180 degrees, please measure the glass and if it fits either of these dimensions, send me a PM and we can discuss price/shipping. Both lengths are 10 13/16ths and heights are either 2 7/8ths or 2 9/16ths.

McIntosh outsourcing really hid their fonts in secret, the silk screener I used, looked thru 1600+ fonts to address the exactness of a factory MX110 glass. Excuse the Polo shirt - had to use a black background to capture the stenciling.

P.S. I'll see if I can identify sberfger's s/n run.

Bob

[​IMG]

20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Thanks. It's just some info picked up on the info highway. But you're right. It's a very honest sounding pre.

No worries I ain't touching any of the lettering. Gives it a certain lived in charm imo.

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Bob that's beautiful work. As I said above, I like it mine the way it is. But it's great service and option that you provide. Thanks for chiming in.

22. vintage_tube

That's fine and understand your thinking. I just want to be clear that I took on the task to add my 2 cents in preserving the beauty of this marvelous tuner/preamp. I need to make these available to those interested in refreshing and sharpen up those beauties (when I'm gone, the wife will probably file 13 'em). Whatever you do, don't clean the inside glass. The stenciling is very, very fragile and has been known to fall off by blowing on it or going down the drain when cleaning w/soap & water or worse yet, windex.

Bob

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Point taken and appreciated.

Not cleaning anything. I'm happy with everything just the way it is.

24. vintage_tube

Cool Beans:agree:

Bob

25. vintage_tube

sberger -- your serial number, 134M8 equates to this timeframe ------The “M” series of the MX110 manufacturing dates were 100M1 (Mar. 1962) to 215M8 (Oct of 62). You have an a very early issue -- as the MX110's were made from 1962 thru 1969.

Congratulations.:righton::righton::righton::righton::righton:

Best sir,

Bob