NAD CD players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DK Pete, Oct 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have an NAD stereo amp which I'm pretty happy with and was wondering if anyone could recommend an NAD multi-disc CD player to go with it (my 5-disc Yamaha bit the proverbial dust after nearly 20 years of very faithful service). Thanks.

2. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I love NAD amps (I've used them exclusively for the last 30 years), but I really can't recommend their CD players. I had one (not a multi-disc player, though) and it was nothing but trouble, even though it sounded rather good.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The NAD CDP tends to skip a lot for some reasons ...

4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I second the notion that their CD players were never regarded as tops. As for changers, been there for many years, done with that. You really need to move to streaming and/or computer-you'll never go back once you can really make long playlists across more than 5 discs. Plus create radio stations from an artist, which the changer can't even come close to. Plus better sound if you get a good DAC ($99 AudioQuest Dragonfly etc).

If that is too much of a leap of faith, just get your same Yamaha on eBay. Craigslist also has a steady trickle of changers for cheap.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I must have the only NAD CDP they ever made, that has never skipped or given me any issue since day one. Oh yea it sounds amazing too......

6. seikosha

seikosha Forum Resident

You and me both. I’ve had 3 NAD CD players since 1991. None of them ever gave me any trouble.

randy9700, bluesky, Catcher10 and 2 others like this.
  7. coopmv

If you do not consider an occasional skip as a problem, then my NAD Silverline S500i also falls in your category ...

[​IMG]

brushwg, tmtomh, edmondbob and 3 others like this.
  8. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Own a NAD C568 CDP. Been in use for at least 9 months now. I can recommend it a reliable, room filing and musical workhorse w/o any issues.

Zinke, bluesky and ggjjr like this.
  9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks to all. To Head Unit, I "need" the physical product so that, combined with the programming aspects of CD players gives me what I consider the best of both worlds.

10. coopmv

I am an old-media guy who has done about a dozen of downloads all these years and a foe of iTunes ...

11. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I had a NAD CD player for seven years, since about 2003. After seven years of flawless performance, it started skipping mercilessly. I had the optical unit replaced (supposedly), but to no avail. Eventually, I had to just chuck it. Even now, I say that NAD was the best sounding CDP I've ever owned, I miss it still.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. coopmv

While the NAD amps and preamps are solid performers, particularly if they were made prior to 2000, I cannot say the same for its CDP's. My NAD S500i, the premium Silverline model, also suffered from occasional skips even when it was brand new ... :confused:

13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I started out with NAD CD players and amps back when I first started to get serious about sound. I moved on to other brands.
    I had nothing but trouble with the NAD CD players. IIRC, I went thru three over a six year period.
    They are probably much better now.

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Same here. Loved it but enough was enough.

15. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

If anything, I'd say they're probably worse now, that all of their gear is made in China, and to a price point, in a segment where competition is fierce.

SandAndGlass and Rose River Bear like this.
  16. coopmv

I quit buying NAD gears a while back when it started to produce its premium line in China as well. I could buy American or Canadian made gears at the price NAD charges for its premium model ...

PH416156 and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Over the last 5 years I have had both the 546, and 568 cd players, and both have been flawless and incredible sounding.

18. coopmv

I am still a bit reluctant to spend my investment gains on an Esoteric ...

Rose River Bear likes this.
  19. coopmv

I already bought my last NAD CDP ...

The Beave likes this.
  20. Pilon

Pilon New Member

I love my NAD C521i that I bought back in 2002, never had any trouble with it and still use it as my main CD player.

21. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I had one that I bought around 1990. Sounded good but the front panel display died after a few years. Never got it fixed.

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I still have my NAD C542 - no issues with it after several years of use.

23. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I have the 546 (and previously the 545) - sound great, no problems. Although I'd be happier if they didn't switch themselves off after 10 mins or so of inactivity. (is this just a Europe thing?)

24. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

I’ve owned a few over the years, and have encountered display lights failing and draw mechanism breaking too! Having highlighted the negatives they have always pleased me sonically.

25. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Actually I've has the same experiences with all the NAD players I've owned including my current CDP in my primary rig so there are 2 of us on this planet with the same experience lol. Years back I had a NAD 523 and it had a very nice sound for the money. It got a moderate amount of use and never caused me an issue. I sold it to someone I know and they never complained about it although I don't know how much they used it.

Catcher10 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.