Name A Movie Where You Disagreed With The Rating (G, PG, PG-13, R, etc.)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tonyc, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

According to IMDB, it had 28 "f-bombs" - a movie can get "PG-13" with 1 or 2, but not 28!

2. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a film can keep its initial rating as long as the content stays the same. But if anything is altered, it's supposed to be either resubmitted or labled as "unrated."

The "unrated" thing resulted in a glut of films where one little thing was changed that probably wouldn't have even impacted the rating, but they used "UNRATED!!!" as a marketing gimmick to make people think something was far more risqué than it actually was.

Encuentro likes this.
  3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Really? I didn't think there were that many. I can only think of 2 or 3 off of the top of my head. I'll have to pay more attention next time I watch it.

4. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I remember more "unrated" films getting released in mainstream theaters back in the 70s and 80s. Re-Animator comes to mind but there were others.

This may vary by region, but I no longer see unrated films or NC-17 outside of arthouse cinemas.

5. Oatsdad

Agree that the "ooh - it's naughty now!" thing is a factor, but I also think studios just didn't want to bother to pay the MPAA to re-rate movies. Cheaper to just call 'em "unrated"...

6. Oatsdad

Could be wrong - just went with the "Parents Guide" on IMDB. Haven't seen the movie myself since 1992! :)

7. The rise of DVD and now Blu-ray has definitely changed the game for nude scenes in Hollywood films. Actresses started getting far more conscious of nude scenes when they realized they would exist forever to be traded over the Internet in perfect clarity.

So now a-list and b-list actresses demand serious money from producers for nude scenes. That was one of the undercurrents of the Fappening a couple of years back, when dozens of name celebrities like Jennifer Lawrence had their private nudes leaked online. Why pay extra for a possible nude scene from her when nude pics are already all over the net?

8. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I think an R rating might have been a bit extreme for Titanic. Yes, there is some skin in the movie, but it's mostly portrayed in an "artistic" way. The high number of deaths in the film were disturbing, but were reflective of an historical event... with no gratuitous violence or gore. I also don't recall much graphic language either. So overall, I think the PG-13 rating was probably correct.

Stormrider77, Tim S and agentalbert like this.
  9. projectcookie

projectcookie Forum Resident

The MPAA ratings are kind of ridiculous and serves the agenda of a specific group. It's Complicated, the rom-com with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin was given a rated R because of "recreational drug use". They share a joint in bed, nobody dies. There's hardly any swearing.. While violence is given a pass in many summer blockbusters without nary a blink.

drasil and agentalbert like this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Catch 22
    Was a X certificate if memory serves well.

11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sometimes a DVD or Blu-Ray will have an "unrated" edition. I remember the first "Charlie's Angels" had one and I had no clue what was so "unrated" about it.

Obviously just a marketing ploy.

12. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Blazing Saddles gets "R" but Austin Powers 2 gets "PG-13"?.....
    Need to do a switch on those two.

13. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Rambo 2 and 3 are no more offensive than the average PG-13 action film of the last 20 years.
    First Blood was still more disturbing and had some more profanities.

Saturn 3 was no more offensive or adult than Logan's Run but for some reason they gave Saturn 3 an "R".

Network and All The Presidents Men show pretty much the same level of mature content both in 1976 yet Network got the harsher rating.

And I'm pretty sure they show Exorcist 3 intact on non premium tv channels and that got an "R". Some gore but not profane and far less disturbing than the first Exorcist film.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

You mean they both weren't rated R? They should be- last time I watched All The President's Men I'd forgotten how many F-bombs were in there, even if Jason Robards' "If you guys f--k up again, I'm gonna get mad!" line is a quote I use quite often:laugh:

Remington Steele likes this.
  15. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Billy Jack is rated PG, yet there's an extreme amount of violence and a rape in the film.
    More like R-rated material to me.

16. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

The horror flick "Dead Silence" - no sex, no nudity, not a lot of violence, rated R.

Not only that, the scarier moments are *only* in the unrated version, because the studio insisted the movie would be NC-17 with them. That stunned me. It's a very tame movie. Note: This movie came from the same people who made "Saw", which was also R - but at least earned it!

17. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

18. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Re-ratings happen frequently when an older film goes into theatrical re-issue (either wide or even a small booking) but carries a now obsolete rating like "M" "X" or "GP". When that happens it must be resubmitted so a current rating can be applied to it.

Jaws was a special case. While it was rated PG all poster, TV , radio, and theatrical advertising carried a special disclaimer warning "May Be Too Intense For Younger Children." (That's the exact wording used.) I also recall stories of ticket sellers warning parents taking in young children about how it wasn't your usual PG rated movie.

All The President's Men while rated PG, like Jaws also carried a disclaimer about it being stronger than the usual PG rated film. Perhaps because it was a (basically) true story they got away with the more lenient rating.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    ohnothimagen likes this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Getawsy.
    Just watched this again,
    Lordy what a classic.
    Im sure this was a "18 "when it came out.

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I posted this in the thread for the film itself, but I'll post it here as well. The Arrival is PG-13. Why? Just why? No cursing, violence, nudity, sex or drug use.

21. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

"Airplane" [PG] and "The Blues Brothers" [R] came out around the same time but somehow got their ratings switched.

22. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yes. Had the rating existed at the time, Airplane! would definitely qualify for PG-13, so would The Blues Brothers. I haven't seen The Blues Brothers in years, but I don't recall there being a lot of swearing, nudity etc at all. Might have even been able to get away with PG for that one.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

There's a little bit of swearing in "The Blues Brothers", but no nudity. I will never figure out how "Airplane!" got away with it.

24. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

As I noted above, GP is not the same thing as PG. GP movies were intended for mature audiences (formerly the M rating). Billy Jack was rated GP.

25. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Jesus Christ Superstar should have been at least rated PG, a G is a pretty low rating for a film that has a few questionable scenes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.