Name the equipment in the new War on Drugs video

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not familiar with those brands. Can you link to images so we can compare?

2. Brian Gupton

By the way, if you like him you should pick up some Kurt Ville. They are/were apparently very good friends and played on all of each other's albums until their most recent stuff. He's pretty phenomenal and all of his vinyl that I've heard sounds great.

I will say that, while Kurt's stuff is fantastic, this War of Drugs album is probably going to be a classic one day. Kurt's stuff is beyon rock solid, but maybe not quite approaching this album.

BD2665 and KOWHeigel like this.
  3. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Agreed Brian about Kurt. I'm a Philly guy so well aware of him. Not sure how I missed these guys though.

I've been listening to the mp3 rip from amazon all afternoon through some Sennheiser Momentums.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

That's the guitar (and pick-ups) being played: Gibson Firebird:

[​IMG]

5. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Except the one in the video looks like a reverse one with P-90 instead of mini-humbuckes

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I just grabbed the first image in Google Image Search, apologies if it is not an exact match, I'm not a guitarist! :)

7. Brian Gupton

Ha. Thought you were referring to the TT or speakers. :)

8. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Best album of 2014 by a long shot for me.

Brian Gupton and jeffsab like this.
  9. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Hard to tell on the little 12" screen on my laptop, but the turntable at least looks to be a Pioneer, PL-12D or something of that ilk.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  10. vinyl4287

vinyl4287 Member

I've been a fan of War on Drugs. Adam Granduciel who is basically the band has hopefully broken in to the mainstream since he's being discussed here and his albums sales for Lost in Dreams. His previous album, Slave Ambient with Kurt Vile is great. Kurt Vile's solo LP's are excellent and more of a young Bob Dylan than Adam. Adam, War on Drugs, reminds me of Springsteen--very Jersey and Philly--where he started his career backing up Vile's band.

Not sure who mastered the double LP of Drugs, but it's old school and has a nice soft/warm fuzzy feeling. He may of even recorded it in analog, just never cared to look because it sounds so good.

Brian Gupton and jeffsab like this.
  11. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Vile actually was a member of war on drugs before he went solo

12. rainspainplain

rainspainplain Forum Resident

According to Wikipedia Vile had contributions to "Slave Ambient". According to Pitchfork it was the first War on Drugs' without Vile.

13. vinyl4287

vinyl4287 Member

Yep, Vile co-founded War on Drugs with Adam. Adam moved to Philly met Vile and began backing him up and collaborating, which led to WOD.

Vile should of stayed in WOD, they would of been the closest thing to The Byrds since…The Byrds.

Crazyhorse11 and Brian Gupton like this.
  14. Brian Gupton

It's hard for two guys this good to stay in one band. Unless you're willing to double the band's output, the vision will always be compromised. Sometimes that works (Beatles), sometimes it doesn't.

vinyl4287 likes this.
  15. Brian Gupton

I also hear a wee bit of Don Henley in the kinda spoken singing and a little in the guitar, though with more of a psychedelic bend.

16. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

Greg Calbi

17. vinyl4287

vinyl4287 Member

Agreed. I bought the new Tape-Op magazine at Guitar Center tonight with Adam in it--hopefully he sheds some light on what he envisioned the album sounding like, because I feel like he IS going for that 80's polished sound or like early Steely Dan. If he is, it would be a complete rebel statement to the indie scene who dismiss any kind of glossy production. Either way, everyone likes the songs. It's top 5 on every major and minor Top album lists.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  18. vinyl4287

vinyl4287 Member

Brian Gupton likes this.
  19. Brian Gupton

A lot of work to get to that article, but worth it just to get to read that magazine. Never heard of it. I'm not a recording engineer, but I love reading that stuff.

Two interesting things from the article... First, it's funny that so many of us caught onto the 80's influences without having read this. There is definitely that more 80's polished sound and influences, yet it doesn't feel very retro at all.

Second, I was listening the other night thinking that it was obvious that he relied too much on drum machines. I was thinking that what this band really needs is a stud drummer and get rid of the drum machines. If they captured that big "Damn the Torpedo's" drum sound in a more modern way, this already fantastic album might have been even better (nit picking here obviously).

rob303 likes this.
  20. vinyl4287

vinyl4287 Member

My feelings exactly. I love Tape Op magazine, they always have some great interviews. This one also has one with Tom Werman and he dishes out on his love for Cheap Trick (all great musicians) to Poison and Motley Crue ( they lacked musicianship). He may of unintentionally been responsible for the loudness wars? He explains how he would ask the mastering engineer to compress the shell out of it and start from there as a base point.

I was listening to Dreams 3-4 times last night and only now do the drum machines annoy me. The space created in each song is incredible.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  21. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I picked up the vinyl edition of this the other evening - what a nice job for this release! A very fine gatefold, with thick, heavy cardboard and crisp graphics and images. I have a few other Secretly Canadian releases and they are nice as well. This album sounds extremely smooth and lush on vinyl. I have a sneaking suspicion that this will very quickly become my first choice for my favorite release this year.

22. vinyl4287

vinyl4287 Member

Secretly Canadian does do first class LP's. I've bought bands (Porcelain Rafts LP) without even hearing the music because the overall package is always nice. They will be a in demand label for collectors.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  23. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Thanks for the link. Sorry to go off topic, but I really enjoyed the Werman interview, too. Some classic records that he produced.

24. vinyl4287

vinyl4287 Member

Glad that was online also. I haven't really checked out their website and only looked up to see if they had any info on the interviews. Looks like I can save $5 and just check out their website.

Amazing how when grunge hit or hair metal died, he had no work. But then from reading that he was not a super technical producer--he was more like Rick Rubin minus the record label money.

econalan likes this.
  25. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Because of this thread, I am now obsessed with these guys. I remember Pitchfork posting the stream to "Under The Pressure" earlier this year and I wasn't impressed. Funny how music has to come at you at the right time. Well, anyway, I went out this weekend and bought the album on wax. I also plan to see these guys when they come to the Ogden this fall.

Miche and vinyl4287 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.