Nat "King" Cole - All-Purpose Thread (was "year by year") - Part 5*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Last night Jonathan Schwartz on WNYC radio played "The Continental" and "Ballerina" from the May 29, 1958 London concert conducted by Nelson Riddle...the same day Sinatra attempted "Lush Life" in Hollywood with Felix Slatkin conducting.

Simon A and kennyluc1 like this.
  2. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

He's got his date and/or location wrong, Ron. Cole and Riddle were playing Seattle on May 29, 1958, and I don't believe he was performing "The Continental" until 1959.

Perhaps it was a London concert from 1960, but then Riddle wouldn't have been there.

Simon A and kennyluc1 like this.
  3. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Is this the same label that put out Sinatra In Paris 1962 ?

4. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Looks that way.

5. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I happen to like the original Cole Porter's I Am In Love with Nelson Riddle from 1953. Here is an issue that I didn't know about.

Mfd. by The DECCA Record Co, Ltd in England, before EMI entered the picture.

I think there is a clarity there after the tape was run thru Decca's system and pressed to a 45. I will have to set up a comparative listen to know for sure.:cool:

[​IMG]

Simon A likes this.
  6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Was that followed by a Canadian tour, Jordan?

7. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

All part of the same tour. They opened in Portland on the 28th, followed by Seattle the next night (see below). Before wrapping up on 5 June, there would also be concerts in Spokane, Vancouver, Edmonton, Regina, Calgary and Winnipeg.

[​IMG]

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Thanks. Chuck Granata, in Sessions with Sinatra: Frank Sinatra and the Art of Recording, quotes Riddle mentioning this (p. 141):

9. dale 88

I received the rare Unreleased LP album by Nat King Cole today. The sound is sweet - by that I mean marvelous. The tone of the voice, piano, strings and things is right. This LP looked pristine. I haven't even cleaned it yet. Hardly any groove noise.

Nat King Cole
    Unreleased
    Capitol ST-50.022
    Hecho en Venezuela

I will try to get the cover scanned and the Notes translated soon.

[​IMG]

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

11. dale 88

Venezuelan Capitol label in 1982: "UNRELEASED"

[​IMG]

12. dale 88

I noticed that the label has the wrong composers for Nat's How Little We Know. According to the Alan Dell LP , the composers were Hoagy Carmichael and Johnny Mercer. It is a beautiful song with a superb Nelson Riddle arrangement. It probably got pushed aside by the Capitol honchos for Frank's release of a different song with the same title. Same year, I think.

13. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

They also goofed on "You'll Never Know" and perhaps others (I'm not checking at the moment).

I see the ST prefix -- can you confirm that all titles are in stereo?

14. dale 88

Some definitely are stereo. Others I will have to check.

15. dale 88

Here is a the google translation of the notes. Although my Spanish is rudimentary, I did change a couple of phrases that were over the top:rolleyes: when google got done with it.

The musical discovery of the time has been possible thanks to the investigative nature of a producer of Electrola GmbH, in Germany, who browsing in the vaults of the Capitol subsidiary in the Netherlands, discovered a series of recordings of Nat King Cole never given to sale.

These fourteen performances never before heard by the public, are the first to be produced in the Americas.

Venezuela was the country that served as a springboard for Nat and presentations in different Spanish speaking countries . Renny Ottolina was his Master of Ceremonies in Caracas ; Radio Caracas Television publishes its platform, and now Sonografica offers this first album of " Unreleased " ( Inedito " ) series of this popular and beloved artist .

It has been 17 years since the world lost Nat King Cole, yet the songs , now almost more than then, are still heard, danced, felt and more than anything, always remembered.

Almost two generations have gone by and Nat King Cole remains King , in his style ... soft , romantic , personal.

So why were these songs not included in their albums of the moment? We will never know . The truth is that it is the same Nat King Cole as ever, with new songs that captivate the same way as the others. We hope you enjoy listening again to Nat , particularly in his "You're So Kind " , sung in Spanish , with its very characteristic and funny accent, and achieve evoke the era of "Lisbon Antigua " , "Blue Moon" , together with the other songs being played for the first time .

***************************************************************************************************************************************

El hallazgo musical de la epoca ha sido posible gracias al caracter investigativo de un productor de la Electrola, GmbH, en Alemania, quien curioseando en las bovedas de la filial de Capitol en Holanda, descubrio una serie de grabaciones de Nat King Cole nunca dadas a la venta.

Estas catorce interpretaciones nunca antes escuchados por el publico, son las primeras que se producen en el continente americano.

Venezuela fue el pais que sirvio de trampolin para Nat y sus presentaciones en los distintos paises de habla hispana. Renny Ottolina fue su Maestro de Ceremonias en Caracas; Radio Caracas Television su plataforma publica, y ahora Sonografica ofrece este primer album de la serie "Unreleased" (Inedito") de este popular y tan querido artista.

Han pasado casa 17 anos desde que el mundo perdio a Nat King Cole, sin embargo sus canciones, hoy casi mas que entonces, siguen siendo escuchadas, bailadas, sentidas y mas que nada, siempre recordadas.

Han pasado casi dos generaciones de publico y sigue siendo Nat King Cole el Rey, en su estilo... suave, romantico, personal.

Entonces, por que no se incluyeron estas canciones en sus discos del momento? Nunca se sabra. Lo cierto es que es el mismo Nat King Cole de siempre, con canciones nuevas que cautivaran de la misma manera que las otras. Esperamos que usted disfrute al escuchar nuevamente a Nat, particularmente en su "Eres Tan Amable", cantada en espanol, con su muy caracteristico y simpatico acento, y logre evocar la epoca de "Lisbon Antigua", "Blue Moon", junto con las demas canciones que esta escuchando por primera vez.
    I wonder what was meant by the phrase "Radio Caracas Television publishes its platform"? I wonder if Caracas Television had filmed Nat at their studio? Just dreaming.

Simon A, EasterEverywhere and jtaylor like this.
  16. This coming Saturday, Valentine's Day will be the 50th Anniversary of Nat's death from lung cancer...what will you be doing to commemorate this tragic occasion??? I plan to play my favorite albums from Steve's SACD remasterings of his Capitol catalog that night, beginning with "Love Is The Thing"...

17. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

This sounds a lot like this line from Cole's Wikipedia bio:
    Of course, "Tu Eres Tan Amable" had been released many years earlier as a single.
    The anniversary of his death is actually Sunday, the 15th.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    lukejosephchung and kennyluc1 like this.
  18. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

regarding this new release Nat Cole/Quincy Jones live in Paris:

It appears it's only available as a download, will it be released on a physical cd.

19. dale 88

My scan of the cover of the rare Venezuelan LP, 1982, UNRELEASED, Nat King Cole.

[​IMG]

When Jordan spotted this for sale last week, was it the first time the actual LP had been pictured in the 'Internet age'?

20. dale 88

Except for Tu Eres Tan Amable, which Capitol released in 1965 on a 45 rpm record, are the rest of the song titles in the Venezuelan 1982 LP the first time they had been released anywhere??

21. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

It was news to me, that's for sure!

22. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Hadn't noticed that. No idea about releases in any other format.
    To my knowledge, this is the first release for every other song. I've never seen another copy of the album, but I did see that there is a copy in the Venezuelan National Library.

23. dale 88

Thanks

24. dale 88

It's a wonder I got the Venezuelan LP. Even though it was sent by FedEx International, the LP was rattling around in a 3" deep box without any packing. Well except for the tissue paper wrapped around the LP.

The sender had to include pages of paperwork that included photocopies of his Photo ID, plus right and left fingerprints.

It must be h*ll living in Venezuela today. Recently I read that the authorities have taken over all of the grocery stores. They are turning themselves into another paradise like North Korea.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    Simon A and DLant like this.
  25. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we are glad that it is in good hands with you, Dale.

Simon A and dale 88 like this.