Nat "King" Cole - All-Purpose Thread (was "year by year") - Part 5*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Interesting - and yet the first four discs of the Laserlight 5-disc set sound fantastic to me. Had them playing recently on my main system and was very pleased. I love that set. As I mentioned in a prior post, even though these tracks are on the expanded MacGregor transcription box, the Laserlight discs retain some of the scripted banter that set up the performances. All that fun stuff was removed from the purple box set.

2. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

RIP, Roy. 85 is my target age.

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I think that's the general consensus around here (I do not own those discs, so can't comment), but the Vocal Sides CD is a big thumbs down.

4. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Anyone else have this 3 disc set? Pretty sure I picked it up when it first came out. I listened to it a little bit and then filed it away. Just dug it back out. Will have to give it another listen soon to see how it fares. I'm really only interested in the really early stuff here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MLutthans

I actually managed to find and purchase one of these today! It is coming from Chile, so I may not actually have it in-hand in my lifetime, but at least I can say that I tracked one down! (Thanks, Dale, for bringing this to our attention a couple of years back.)

jtaylor, Simon A and ZippyPippy like this.
  6. MLutthans

Is this the same as this version available here: Ecouter FIP | Radio Musicale Eclectique with a couple of splices in Darling, Je Vous Aime Beaucoup, and the awkward transition between The Continental and It's Only a Paper Moon? (Side comment: too bad the guitar is not miked better. It's a fine recording, overall.)

7. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Matt, that's the one. there were 2 performances on April 19, 1960. He sang the same titles in the same order and they are, both sets, on the CD.

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  8. MLutthans

9. MLutthans

Nice to see the rest of the mic for a change:
    Screen shot 2017-10-05 at 3.39.54 AM.png

MMM, coleman and bozburn like this.
  10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

12 track compilation:

1. Unforgettable
    2. Smile
    3. Fly Me To The Moon
    4. When I Fall In Love
    5. Love
    6. Route 66
    7. It's Only A Paper Moon
    8. Mona Lisa
    9. Love (I doubt the song is repeated. Google Translate must have missed a word somewhere)
    10. Embraceable You
    11. Stardust
    12. Autumn Leaves

My favourite bit of crazy translation from the description:

It was packed with only good songs that were flowing at that time that day, this is the best decided version, value for money Collectively in. :D

The Killer, MLutthans and dale 88 like this.
  11. MLutthans

R-7853895-1450207607-8853.jpeg.jpg
    Any good info here about V-discs that Nat recorded? It's a tough term to search for without getting lots of false leads. I have seen this disc:
    MI0001451556.jpg
    but know little about it, or about the extent of Nat's V-Disc activities.

kennyluc1 and Simon A like this.
  12. MLutthans

Anybody have this 5-LP set?
    s-l1600-178.jpg s-l1600-179.jpg
    s-l1600-180.jpg

It's got mono songs in actual mono (not every one, but many), and is from 1981, so it just pre-dates the digital mastering process at EMI. Could have very nice sound, I'd think. Just curious.

Simon A likes this.
  13. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I wonder how that set compares sonically to the 6-record box set by the Longines Symphonette Society, which is the set I listened to when I was a kid. Also, I wonder how Little Child ended up on on this kind of comp. Is that set still the only place that track can be found?

14. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

If the set is a UK exclusive and it was cut by EMI, chances are that Harry Moss cut it. If the correct tapes were used, it could sound really good.

jtaylor likes this.
  15. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Diverse track list. I'd be curious to know if it uses overdubs on certain titles. If not, they could be the first appearance without the OD.

.crystalised., Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  16. MLutthans

German VA compilation:
    s-l1600-186.jpg
    Of all the Nat Cole selections to include, somebody picked Cappucina and Brazilian Love Song!

Oddly, Nat appeared on two German EMI compilations named Traumreise (dream trip). Here's the other one:
    R-1900870-1251146201.jpeg.jpg
    That one includes only A Media Luz from Cole Espanol.

MMM likes this.
  17. kennyluc1

Hey... those are 2 of my favorite NKC songs.

18. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

19. MLutthans

Yep; not a criticism of the songs at all. They are certainly not typical candidates for compilations, though.

Simon A likes this.
  20. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

To follow up on my earlier post: The Complete Nelson Riddle Recordings box set isn’t likely to win any awards for audio quality. I haven’t done a close comparison yet, but in sampling a multitude of songs across the eight discs, I was surprised by how flat and lifeless so many tracks sound.

I also don’t like that there isn’t information about which albums songs were originally released on. It’s cool to have recording dates and other session info, but I haven’t been listening to NKC long enough yet to know album track listings by heart.

On the positive side, this box set appears to have a number of the rare tracks from the Collectors Choice discs that were released a decade ago. I haven’t gone through and compared things closely, but I saw several tracks that I don’t have elsewhere yet.

21. MLutthans

The Music Milestones label: Your assurance of quality!

.crystalised. and CBackley like this.
  22. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

I'm wondering what people think of the 1990 Rhino CD entitled "Jumpin' at Capitol." Bill Inglot and Larry Walsh are credited with the mastering. I didn't see too much about this CD in the archives; seems like some people enjoy it, but there isn't a lot of critical discussion or comparison with other CDs.

The Nat King Cole Trio - Jumpin' At Capitol: The Best Of The Nat King Cole Trio

I compared some of the common songs on this Rhino CD and the two "The Best Of The Nat King Cole Trio: The Vocal Classics" CDs on Capitol, which were done by Malcolm Addey. The differences were noticeable. It would probably be best to do a song-by-song comparison, but to generalize:
    (1) there was more bass on the Capitol CDs; (2) there was less hiss on the Capitol CDs (sounded like more noise reduction than on the Rhino); and (3) some of the songs on the Rhino CD were playing at a faster speed -- in fact, the pitch was a full half-step higher on select songs, which means about 6% faster.

The first two things are a matter of a taste, but the speed issue bugs me. Does anyone if the Rhino disc, or the Capitol discs, present the songs at the "correct" speed? (And if we need to define what "correct" means in this context, then I guess that's another can of worms -- I'm not familiar with the original, pre-CD releases of this material.)

[​IMG]

Simon A likes this.
  23. MLutthans

The speed problems on those songs are not exclusive to the Rhino CD. For instance:
    Also, from the "now I'll finally have something to look forward to in life" department, I am going to post a missive soon regarding the pitch problems on the 16 tracks that the trio recorded for Decca. Pitch is all over the map on those, with one track bring presented on LP more than a half-step off-pitch, meaning that the presentation is literally in the wrong key, not just "a little sharp/fast" or "a little flat/slow."

kennyluc1, .crystalised. and Simon A like this.
  24. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

The glowing reviews all sound like they were written by the same person.

CBackley likes this.
  25. kennyluc1

I sure would like to know about the off speed masterings. Looking forward to your report Matt.