National Lampoon's Vacation - being rebooted with Ed Helms and Christina Applegate

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Care to list some examples? She's been in some moderate hits since her MWC days.

2. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I've still never seen Vegas, but yeah, it can't really be worse than European. (Though there's also the little-known, direct-to-video Christmas Vacation 2 focusing on Cousin Eddie, but I won't touch that one with a ten-foot pole.)

I wonder if there's still plans for Chevy to return as "Grandpa" Griswold in this one. I think there was talk of it when the remake was first mentioned.

3. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Actually it is (though some might not agree).

I thought the England scenes of European Vacation were good.

4. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

My Rankings:

1. Vacation
    2. Christmas Vacation (In some ways, I like it just as well as the first one. Watch it every Christmas.)
    3. European Vacation (didn't like it, except when they kept circling Big Ben and couldn't get out of the traffic)
    4. Vegas Vacation (awful)

(Not to mention the awful made for TV Vacation movie that starred Randy Quaid called National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure )

MilesSmiles and Marvin like this.
  5. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I liked Vegas Vacation.

heatherly likes this.
  6. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

Who's gonna play Cousin Eddie's grown-up kids?

7. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident

I'm a sucker for Vacation movies.. Every time Vacation is on HBO while channel surfing, I get sucked in.. drives my wife insane

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Jane Krakowski needs a gig, yes? :)

9. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

She'd be a little too old I'd think. His kids were younger than Clark's.

Great actress though. She was the best thing about Malcolm In The Middle.

10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

You are thinking of Jane Kaczmarek!

This is Jane Krakowski (Cousin Vicki from the original) who was a regular on Ally McBeal and 30 Rock.

[​IMG]

11. I liked the originals, not sure if it's a good idea to try to revive the series.

12. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

I'm a fan of 30 Rock too. Can't believe I mixed those two up! :eek:

13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Rusty should only be played by Anthony Michael Hall, or Jason Lively, or Johnny Galecki, or . . .

14. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Ed Helms could play the car salesman at the beginning of the film, or possibly the security guard at Wally World.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You took the words out of my mouth! I was so dumbstruck that they had changed the story to the present instead of making it about the 1950s, plus removed any similarity at all to Walt Disney and shooting the guy in the leg, I hated it. The original Lampoon story is a classic of classics.

I hate all the Vacation movies because they're not nearly as dark and mean-spirited as the original story, which I thought perfectly captured the idea. Anything else is just a namby-pamby cheat to me.

16. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Wow, ya think? Even as a kid I always thought it was obvious that "Roy Walley" was supposed to be Mr. Disney, though admittedly the park itself was a little too generic to pass for a Disney theme park. I believe in the (recent? not sure) documentary about the film that shows up on History Channel (or maybe it's A&E...) now and then, Ramis states that they specifically hired Eddie Bracken for his resemblance to Walt. (But in fairness, I haven't read the original story in years and years and don't remember it that well, so maybe there were some more Disney-like character traits that got lost in the transition.)

TheiPodAvenger likes this.
  17. Rachael Sweet can be the grandma strapped to the top of the car.

18. Me too

19. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

me three

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Waste of time.

21. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I have no idea if it'll be any good but that is a ridiculous statement.

The premise is timeless, and the world has changed enough since the original films that it shouldn't be redundant...plus there is some good talent involved. So let's see what happens...

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

No really a statement of fact. Just my opinion, which I'm entitled to just as you are yours.

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I don't think Applegate has any acting chops at all, but come to think of it Chevy Chase never did, so this could work.

24. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Anthony Michael Hall should have his role.

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.