Need a good cheap record player that won't destroy records

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brad Bowman, Jan 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brad Bowman

Brad Bowman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Some background. Through the 80s I was a kid listening to records all the time. I had one of those turntable double cassette units. Didn't care about the needle etc. just played records without a care.

Then CDs came along and I abandoned vinyl entirely. Now I have all my vinyl still stored vertically on a rack and I was thinking recently that maybe it would be fun to get a turntable again and spin these things.

2 things that keep spinning in my head (no pun intended ) is do I buy new or head to my local vintage shop and buy used? I have no speakers anymore nor a receiver. I don't necessarily need an 800 dollar setup. I tend to stick with older cd pressings as I just prefer that kind of sound and mostly use headphones. I have 4 cats and a dog so obviously a turntable cover is a must. I want to spin vinyl again for fun but also don't want a player that is awful that won't last and will destroy my records. So everybody have at it and thanks for the help.

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

displayname, Brad Bowman and bhazen like this.
  3. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Vintage - the quality of these new China-made decks is very problematic
    And no DJ Technics, they are pretty run down (if not refurbished)

An old Thorens would fit the bill. An old Japanese as well ...
    Pioneers go quite cheap

Brad Bowman likes this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What is your budget? Do you live in or near a major city?

Brad Bowman likes this.
  5. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

I am sorry, but a (female) friend just bought that
    Loose tone arm bearings from the start
    High chance to destroy records
    Made in Shenzhen by HanPin as all (except Rega and ProJect) TTs up to about 1000 bucks
    Yes, that includes Pioneers, Denons and the like
    And the quality of the inbuilt Phono Pre is err to run away fast

ls35a, Brad Bowman and Cronverc like this.
  6. Vintage quality equipment is probably the best choice as long as it is in great shape. They can still be had for reasonable prices and you don't have to spend a fortune. Just remember, if it looks like junk, it probably is. You can even buy a new turntable, like the AT-LP120XUSB and a powered computer speaker setup for a good sounding system. Or, just plug the TT's USB cable into a computer with a sound system and you've got it made.

Brad Bowman likes this.
  7. If a TT has loose arm bearings, tighten them up, that's what those screws are for. I used an AT-PL120 for years before the tone arm pivots got to loose, but after playing 1,000s of records, I consider that normal. Although I have never used one, I bypassed the internal pre-amp to see if what many people say was right. No, it was a waste of time, absolutely no difference. Now, if you use an external or internal pre-amp, each will have a different sound.

HiFi Guy and Brad Bowman like this.
  8. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Something inexpensive, used on occasion, low priced as possible, something to kick around when get the urge, and don't want to be too stressed out if the cat gets close to it -- LP120 is probably fine.

But if someone is "serious" about getting into vinyl, will spend a lot of time on it, wants the most bang for the buck - they should go for a little more budget and get something starting at the PL-1000X level IMO... or a Technics under $1000. (a few choices new and used).

Brad Bowman likes this.
  9. timind

timind phorum rezident

If you have a local shop which deals in refurbished turntables, that's the place to start. Don't know your location, but we have a couple good shops here.

Brad Bowman, bluesky and patient_ot like this.
  10. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Good point, if shopping for something to get you by, want the assurance of it having a guarantee from a shop as you don't want to second guess..... this is a good idea. Problem is for many is finding that shop in many locations! (some are better than others).

I only addressed new with my post above, but if the OP knows how to shop used ones, of course all sorts of doors open even on Craigslist or online. Not everyone is savvy on both buying AND selling TTs though.... so it is best if one of the parties is experienced!

Brad Bowman and timind like this.
  11. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

That's a risk you take with the cheap Hanpin tables unfortunately. Even the Pioneer PL-1000 can have loose tonearm bearings, and it's quite a bit more expensive. Only buy if there's a return policy.

jeff

nosliw and Brad Bowman like this.
  12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A Crosley C8 would be a nice option. And built by Pro-Ject in the Czech Republic.

Lucca90 and Brad Bowman like this.
  13. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Wal-Mart has the Crosley C6 turntable for $99. Designed by Pro-Ject, with an upgradeable Audio-Technica AT3600L cartridge, adjustable counterweight, and phono, line level, and Bluetooth outputs. I happened to be in my local store today and they had several in stock on the shelf, right below the vinyl records they're selling.

Also Target has their $99 Heyday turntable with almost identical features, manufactured by Leetac.

Maggie and Brad Bowman like this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've not examined a Hanpin in at least 2 years but the last ones I looked at both had serious tonearm bearing problems. I'm not sure if that was something that could be easily fixed either, especially once they are put into service. All that slop can't be good for the bearings themselves. Also the build quality in general was really cheap, like a bad knockoff of the real thing.

Obviously if you buy a new one you can adjust the tonearm bearings if you need to before putting a ton of mileage on it, or you can return it for another example.

If someone is not too picky and can't buy used for some reason, a properly functioning Hanpin might be an okay choice. It's not going to damage records if working correctly. I'd still rather have a decent vintage deck though...

TT chain for OP would be the following:

TT > built in preamp > headphone amp

OR

TT > phono preamp > headphone amp

Brad Bowman likes this.
  15. Brad Bowman

Are all the new ones I see on Amazon and the like the Hanpins?

16. Brad Bowman

I believe I do have a local shop here that has quite a few vintage turntables.

nosliw, patient_ot and timind like this.
  17. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Get a used Technics TT that is fully functional and make sure it has the 'original headshell'.

Get a 'new AT cart' and 'new headshell leads'.

Set it up correctly (at least overhang, arm level with the TT base, base level, and correct anti-scate - AT will tell you when you buy the cart)... and rock on! Or Jazz on!

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Hanpin, Ya Horng, Skywin, Leetac, etc are OEMs for a lot of cheaper mass market turntables.

McLover and Brad Bowman like this.
  19. Vinylistener

Vinylistener Well-Known Member

Denon dp 300f is a good budget tt, has removable headshell, adj tracking force, antiskate

SRC and Brad Bowman like this.
  20. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

This is probably your best bet. An 80s Japanese brand direct drive turntable, plus a receiver/amplifier with phono inputs and headphone amp, will do the trick.

21. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

You're thinking of the C10. The C8 is Chinese. Unfortunately, the C10 has gotten a bit more expensive. For a long time, it was $231 for the mahagony: now it's up to $291. Not expensive, but just not quite the steal it was.

A casual user might prefer/enjoy a Fluance RT82. It has auto stop (not return).

RT82 Reference Turntable with Ortofon OM10 Cartridge - Natural Walnut | Fluance

Don't take this as gospel (one guy's opinion), but this is a decent little budget table survey.

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-record-player-for-2021/quote

(Assuming you don't find that irresistible vintage acquisition.)

Brad Bowman likes this.
  22. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

All this is not normal for a decent build turntable. I do have vintage tables from the late 70's that never ever had loose arm bearings or pivots that got loose, not even after playing 10.000 records.....

Brad Bowman likes this.
  23. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

Get
    Get yourself a nice vintage direct drive table, like a Dual or Sansui from the late 70's. Have it serviced, buy a fresh stylus or cart for it. I have a Dual 704 and a Toshiba SR 370, both tables are build like Tiger tanks and they sound wonderful. The Dual tracks the record even during an earthquake, so it will be able to resist cats. Oh, total cost for the Dual, maintenance, Jico Sas stylus 500 Euro. Total cost for the Toshiba, maintenance, Nagaoka MP 110 400 Euro.

Brad Bowman and nosliw like this.
  24. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

You mentioned speakers and amp...

There are two really great speaker deals out there. (Well, probably more, but these are 60+% off and <$200.)

This Energy was once $550. Now $178.

Energy by Klipsch RC-10 Black Bookshelf Main or Rear Speakers RC-10B Pairs 629303109939 | eBay

SoundStage! Equipment Review - Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-10 Loudspeakers (2/2006)

This Wharfedale was originally $600 ($500 more appropriate). It's bigger, much more recent, probably warmer sounding.

https://www.amazon.com/Quality-Cust...011U1XKWM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8I

(Perhaps you're sticking with headphones - I wasn't exactly sure if that was what you were saying.:))

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Brad Bowman likes this.
  25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Crosley C8 is Pro-Ject built. The C6 is Chinese built but Pro-Ject designed and the arm is better than the C 10. The C 10 arm and motor are inferior. C8 is the best option of those, the C6 is decent for the price. Fluances tend to be more expensive. He's on a budget, competent is the best he can buy for the price.

labreahouse and Brad Bowman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.