DCC Archive need advice on audio software

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eBay Feed, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eBay Feed

eBay Feed Automated Thread Starter

Hello,

I have seen a few of you guys mention the software that you use to edit and fool around with music on your computers.

I was hoping for some recommendations, as I am thinking of buying something. I would like to be able to do things like cross fading and EQ.

I would also like to be able to use the program as a sort of "four track" mixer I guess.

Please list system requirements if you don't mind, OH- and approximately what it would cost me!!

Thanks a million,

Tony

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

For PCs I would have to say Cool Edit Pro hands down. Best suited for both visual and technial aspects of editing, multitrack, restoration, more tools than you need (and the important ones already in) and ability to use 3rd party plugins for things like downsampling to MP3 if you wished.

It's expensive though.

The web page

Funny enough, the company made some really fluffy-type fun programs in its history, but Cool Edit was developed almost by accident, and is used with seriousness in mind.

Cool Edit 2000 has most, but Pro carries heavier tools and multitrack. You also don't specifically need an amazing sound card to negotiate playback, mixing and crossfading in multitrack. Best used on the most powerful machiene you can muster. Wav files processed, the longer they are, take longer to process, so using one long 50 min wav can take 10 minutes on a PII 400 for instance.

For those who own PRO, there's an easter egg in the HELP section that turns the Editing Station into a pong game.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Sckott ]

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Cool Edit Pro is a great program. About $399?
    A friend has Cakewalk and some of Sonic Foundry's stuff. That's good too.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I've been using Cool Edit Pro and Cool Edit 2000 for about three years now, starting with Cool Edit96. You CAN'T go wrong! It has a fast learning curve and is very intuitive. It's also much faster than most PC editors out there. It even does 24/96 and beyond, if desired. In fact, i'm restoring an old album with it as I write.

I got Sound Forge 5.0 last year when it came out and I was unimpressed. And, you can't even restore a recording without the $279 DX plug-in. The upside is that all of SF5.0 tools are DX so I can just use them inside Cool Edit! hehe!

Oh yeah, DO NOT get any Creative cards! That includes the Audigy and the LIve cards. Creative wants you to think that the Audigy records 24-bit but it does not. The other specs are very unimpressive. They have bad drivers, screw up and take over your machine, and are a nightmare to uninstall, that is, if it will let you uninstall it! They are hard to confugure and they are noisy.

5. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Tony,

Cool Edit Pro is definately the way to go. As noted by everyone so far, this software is very powerful, yet one of the easiest to learn I've ever used. In addition, they have a great forum for new users where you can get answers to any questions you might have. Here's the link to check it out. Good Luck.
    http://forums.syntrillium.com/

6. Grant

Just don't let the name throw ya! Don't be swayed by those misguided Sound Forge devotees.

Sonic Foundry is a big corporation and publically traded with product in Best Buy, and their products show it!

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I agree, CEP is the way to go.....

Not too hard to learn, altho there ARE a few things that I wish were easier to do (that is, more like a tape recorder) but perhaps future versions will correct this.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I like Creative cards for what they used to be in the market. I now agree with Grant because I've done several installs with the Audigy, and it's nice having a "free" firewire port, but in essence, many cards in the same category are better. I still have my Live! and enjoy using it. Although if there's one thing I can't stand it's the VIA'97 sound chips (and the like) that's built into the motherboards (Asus/FIC). Even at a simple user level of use, they're maddning and can occasionally wig out and not work 1/2 the time... Sad... But you can turn it off too, most every time. Even little ol' ladies as clients can't stand the on-board sound!

GrantT, you realize, if like the Live!, the Audigy drivers can be loaded without using the front-end install of the software. I'm a big fan of "use drivers only". You only need to point Win9x or whatever to the folder on the CD. I have a feeling you don't have the card tho anyway...

It's true. The Creative CDs in the box are about 12 tons of busing code to the PC and MUCHO junk that you'll never use. I stay away from using the front-end installer (Pop in the CD and hit "install") and I just point the machiene to the driver package. Better yet, just use the newest driver-only package.

With that, the best free PC advice I can give is K.I.S.S. and keep thy taskbar thin and with as least programs running as possible. Then CEP and other programs will run all the better with less 'sluggidge'.

9. Grant

CEP is a bit of a processor hog. It pays to shut down any unneeded programs, like Sckott says. This can also help free up memory.

It also helps to keep your host drive defragged and to customize your virtual memory.

I use Norton's SystemWorks to keep my PC humming. And, always disable your antivirus while working on music. Since my music PC is connected to a phone line I have a firewall but I leave it on in case I surf the net while processing. Norton's firewall will work unobtrusively and will not affect CEP's operations if it detects a hack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.