Need advice on Marantz 2215b and AR9ls

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill von linsowe, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill von linsowe

Bill von linsowe Active Member Thread Starter

Hello all, newbie here. I recently picked up a great set of AR9LS speakers. I got them re coned and re foamed. Also, found a pristine Marantz 2215b receiver and Marantz 6100 turntable. Do you recommend a power amp for the speakers? I do not want to ruin anything by being underpowered. I am new to all this, please be kind! Looking forward to hearing suggestions and learning how to use this vintage equipment. Thanks in advance!

2. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

The 15wpc Marantz would turn into a firecracker REAL fast attempting to power them...or, for that matter, trying to power any vintage A.R. speakers(!).
    They need at *least* 200wpc to sound unstrained and not wind up having a burnt amp (in the process).
    The most common route to go for pairing with A.R., is: a late-'80s/early-'90s ADCOM GFA-555 power amp (ADCOM seems to have great "synergy" with classic A.R.'s)...but, also, an older SOUNDCRAFTSMEN MA-5002 would be just as good.
    I just mention these two because they can be had in the under-$300 (used) price (collectors ignore them because the names aren't "sexy" enough; however, the sound -and build- was BETTER than most mainstream Japan componentry of that time).
    You *can't* blow-out an A.R. speaker -from then- feeding them too MUCH power. They love high powered transistors.

3. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Ive used Marantz 2325 and Pioneer SX-1250 with vintage AR Speakers with good results. You really need to buy a Receiver with more balls. Your pretty much at the bottom of the barrel of the entire Marantz line at the time.

signothetimes53 likes this.
  4. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

I have speakers similar to the 9LS, the AR90's, and I've ran them with as little as 40 watts, and that was barely adequate. So, with your 9LS speakers, I'd think a minimum would be 100 watts.

For what it's worth, the AR9LS has an efficiency of 87dB. Nominal impedance was 4 ohms, with a minimum of 3.2 ohms. Power handling was rated for 15 watts minimum with 400 watts max. But, as the others have stated, I'd never run 9LS speakers on 15 watts. Clipping from such a set up would probably fry the tweeters at least. So use caution, if you proceed with the Marantz. Keep volume levels LOW.

5. gss

gss Forum Resident

What speakers, then, would be ideal for a 2215b? I recently acquired one myself and want to get the right speakers for this low wattage receiver.

This article suggested Klipsch Heresys and a few others. I was thinking about the Elac B5. What speaker specs should someone be looking for? What do you folks say? What's the magic pairing?

Marantz 2215B Receiver – Old School | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  6. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Wharfedale Diamonds

gss likes this.
  7. gss

gss Forum Resident

Which model?

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This is like driving AR3A, and add more inefficiency. Separates highly recommended, something which handles reactive 4 ohm loads without being a drama queen. My brother had issues with the AR9ls with a Pioneer SX 1050 (it blew transistors several times during loud parties), the SoundCraftsmen or Adcom isn't advised. Very high current into that load is recommended. And this is a 2 strong men to lift it power amplifier job. Get efficient speakers if you're hung up on that Marantz (that would excel on driving Klipsch Cornwalls) and stick to easy to drive impedances.

9. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I have 10.2's and haven't wanted to buy another set of speakers in over a year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.