Need help. I have right now an HH Scott 290 restored amp at home...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fjhuerta, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

I really don't know whether to keep it or not.

I'm not a connoisseur of vintage equipment. All I know is, the amp is completely refurbished. It looks brand new. I'll test it tomorrow morning - I'm too tired right now.

http://www.hhscott.com/basic.htm

The reason I have it is, I bought a DIY amp from a friend (based on 6SL7 and 6L6 tubes) which may just as well be the most amazing amp I've ever owned. I went to his home today, and he showed me the Scott. My jaw dropped to the floor... he told me I could choose between the DIY or the Scott, and gave me both amps to try out for a week.

I'll listen to both amps. The only thing I don't really like about the Scott is the fact that one terminal is a bit corroded from the inside. The only thing I don't really like about the DIY amp is that it's a bit underpowered (11 WPC).

I'd love to know if the Scott is a good amp to begin with. Prix seems to think so - anyone else knows anything about this amp? I'd be glad to know....

2. audio

audio New Member

Bro....what do you need help with?? Geez, dude...every time I look in hardware you've got a thread going about another amp that you have and you're in anguish over whether to keep it or not. What do your ears tell you? Forget our opinions. What do YOU like? I think whatever amp finally makes you happy, you should DEFINITELY keep it. How's that? On the other hand, since you seem to be having difficulty deciding which piece is right for you, why not keep several units? Lord knows that's what I have to do. I've got four or five main systems that I go back and forth between. For me, it's the only way to stay happy. Just relax and enjoy the 290 for a few hours. Take a break from the forum and listen to some tunes. When you're done, you'll know what to do.;)

3. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I agree. Restored Scotts, Fishers, Dynaco etc. can sound great. Eicos too! :)

4. NOSValves

NOSValves New Member

If you decide not to keep the 290 let me know what the guy wants for it. I would be very interested in it.

Craig

5. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

And Eico's!!

6. fjhuerta

:)

Prix is right. The problem with having a good friend with lots of *cool* equipment is that I can barely make up my mind when deciding what to keep and what to trade. But hey, 95% of what I know I learned from all of you, so I still need to ask some questions.

I listened to the amp today. Holy mother of dynamics & reserve power... I'm sorry Craig, this one is a keeper :) I can't understand how on earth a 45 year old amp can sound so amazing, but this one does. I called my friend and traded some equipment for it. It didn't come cheap (at all), but with all the trades I ended up paying around $350 for it :)

Darn, 45 watts of old-timer power is all a man could ever wish for.... :)

7. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

35-watt Scott LK-72 by Craig here...And I'm wondering how the hell I went for so long without something even remotely close to this type of quality..in a 40+ year old amp, no less.

8. audio

audio New Member

C'mon Javier...quit pulling our chains.;) We've been over this before. You already know that 290 is worth three times what you paid for it. Congrats, man. Enjoy your booty!!

9. fjhuerta

:eek:

I didn't! Well, I knew it was kinda expensive, but not by that much!!!

Thanks a lot for your help, Prix. I really appreciate it. I'm now an HH Scott owner! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.