Need recommendations for a Budget DAC and CD Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by innocent_bystander, Jul 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have some CD's in storage and would love to listen to them again. What would you recommend for a Budget DAC and CD Player. Budget around less that 1k, iPod connectivity and may be streaming.. Im using a Rogue Cronus Magnum II for my integrated amp and PSB Image speakers.

TIA

2. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

Grab an Onkyo C 7030 and a Schiit Audio Bifrost and you will have a killer digital rig for well under budget. The Onkyo is a great transport and the Bifrost is excellent for the price.

innocent_bystander likes this.
  3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've been rocking the Onkyo C7030 and Teac UD-H01 DAC in a budget casual system for a year now, my total outlay new was $330. Prices are up a bit, so it looks the combo is now about $440. Sound is very good considering the price.

4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I'll second that, and suggest adding Schiit's Uber upgrade card. I recently got one and it makes every CD player I own sound so much better, even a Rega Apollo; so glad I decided to buy one from a fellow Forum member. There's a thread about the Onkyo, most who've bought one really like it including me, but some have had bum units. Mine was in regular use for a year with no issues.

5. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

For your computer get a Steinberg UR-22 MP3 to redbook to 2496 to 24192 usb dac with a headphone amp and a line out amp to run to your audio gear. $150 from Sweetwater.com Steinberg is owned by Yamaha now. I love mine.

For a stand alone CD player I would look at the Marantz units on www.accessories4less.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.