Need speaker advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by deredordica, Apr 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak Thread Starter

Hi all, the speakers I am currently using are slightly too tall to put where I would like to put them. I have been looking to replace them, but have no idea what I am doing. The parameters are a) the amp is a Pioneer SX-2600 that I am more or less happy with, and b) the speakers must not exceed 12" tall.

The amp isn't amazing, so I don't need amazing speakers, but I don't want something that sounds worse than what I am used to, which are some Polk Audio speakers I have had for 20+ years. I can probably spend a few hundred bucks, if necessary.

Your thoughts? Many thanks in advance.

2. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

I went from Polk monitors to KEF and have been very very happy. $300 for a pair of the Q150s on Amazon. I haven't heard those ones in particular, but I have the Q100s as side surrounds. I plugged them in as mains to hear how they sounded and was surprised how great they sounded for what I paid.

11.92 inches x 7.08 inches x 10.944 inches

Not sure if that 65 watt amp can drive them though. 86db sensitivity.

deredordica likes this.
  3. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

4. deredordica

[QUOTE="Not sure if that 65 watt amp can drive them though. 86db sensitivity.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly the kind of thing that would trip me up. I'll check them out, though. Thank you!

P.S. I could upgrade my amp, as long as it wasn't too tall, but again, finding speakers to match whatever amp I got would still be an issue.

5. William Bryant

The NHT SuperOne 2.1 will sound great with your current kit and even better with a little more power. Read up on these puppies first and then order them, or just order them.

IMO the best $208.00 (a pair!) in audio today.

deredordica likes this.
  6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

- Don't shortchange that Pioneer. Per the manual, power is 65W/ch @ 8 ohms @ <=0.07% THD. Dynamic power 2/4/8 ohms: 145/130/90. So this thing is likely stronger than a lot of todays receivers, which as far as I've noticed are never rated even into 4 ohms. (Amps are tested with resistors for pragmatic reasons, but speakers are not resistors. So the important rating is at lower impedances even if your speakers are 8 ohms).
    - Of COURSE you need amazing speakers! Are ye daft, mon?!?!
    - More and more money DOES get you better and better speakers. You should specify a maximum you want to spend so that we fall all over ourselves recommending stuff that is actually more than that :p
    - How WIDE and DEEP can the speakers be? Keep in mind one little trick is that it's fine to put the speakers sideways if they are coaxial, like KEF Uni-Q or ELAC Uni-Fi. You can even use 3-way center channels like some SVS models.

deredordica likes this.
  7. deredordica

These look promising, many thanks!

8. deredordica

They can't exceed 12" high or 12" deep.

9. William Bryant

Through the years I have run Quad ESL-63s, Vandersteen 2Cs, and now Harbeth P3ESRs. I mention these models because I'm comparing the NHTs to really, really good speakers when I recommend them.

I bought the NHTs recently out of curiosity, and also to have a less expensive object in the room while my kitten was growing up. Do some research, then shoot me a PM if you're interested in a set with about 100 hours on them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    deredordica and shug4476 like this.
  10. deredordica

Will do...many thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.