Need tips on good speakers for listening at low volumes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tone ded freb, Feb 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member Thread Starter

What is it in general about a speaker that determines whether it will perform well at low volumes? I have a pair of Fisher XP-7 speakers. They don't seem to be fully engaged until they are at a volume louder than I want to listen to. I think I like to listen to unusually low volumes, though. Before the speakers, I had been listening to Grado SR60s connected to my Sony SACD changer's headphone jack. I had the jack set at a volume that was just loud enough that I felt I was hearing about 95% of what was there and not having to strain to do it. But if you looked at the volume knob for the headphone jack, it was so low that one might think it was off. Anyway, I know that I want the next pair of speakers I buy to perform well at low volumes. Is there anything in particular about a speaker's specifications that would indicate it would fall in that category? Or, does anyone know any bookshelf to medium-sized speakers in the sub-$1,000 range that do well at low volumes? Some speakers I've never heard, but are among those I would consider, having read positive comments, include the Reynaud MK III, the Polk LSi9, and Tannoy monitors. I'm starting to think I'm not looking for a speaker, but a whisperer. :sigh:

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

That is why I got out of the apartment and moved into a house. I can blast the speakers and not bother anyone. I would think any pair of good speakers would sound fine at low volumes. My Thiels sound good at low volumes.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

A nice clean used pair of AR3a's sound great at low volumes. Heck, with some lower powered amps they can ONLY be played at low volumes, heh.

If you find a pair, make sure they work before buying. Nice full rich sound at low volumes, with incredible accurate bass response. At least 30 watts a channel needed though...

I lived in an apartment and used my pair for 9 years without a problem, using a solid state Pioneer 1010 receiver. Worked like a charm..

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I wonder if a pair of vintage, well-maintained Smaller Advents would also do the trick. They're also a lower-efficiency speaker and IMHO seemed to sound good at lower levels. I've got a pair I'm working on refurbishing a little. I bought an extra pair of woofers on eBay really cheap (they just need refoaming), but I'm debating getting another pair of the vintage "fried egg" tweeters (the ones in mine had hardly any output), or using the Audax soft-dome tweeters I have on hand, which IMHO would give it a nice top end.

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

tone ded freb,

You mentioned the ones I like - J M Reynaud Twin Mk IIIs. Perhaps you could ping HZ on these, as he bought a pair recently and they should be run in my now. I have a pair in my bedroom system and I live in an apartment, so I do listen at low levels.

6. tone ded freb

You guys must be psychic to know that I live in an apartment. Yeah, that's one reason I listen at low volumes, but I just really don't like anything loud. I plan to move to more acoustically isolated living quarters in the next few months, but I suspect by and large that won't much change the volume at which I usually listen. I think my NAD 3120 is rated very conservatively at 20 wpc and the Fisher 800-B I will have is 30 or 35 wpc. I'm shying away from buying used speakers again. I'd like a warranty and the ability to return them if I'm not happy with the sound.

7. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

The JMR Twins are truly special. Best sounding speakers we've ever had. I dont listen loud either, but they are magical nonetheless.

8. tone ded freb

I'm leaning most strongly toward them, largely because of all the praise I've read, including yours, HZ. So, are they available online anywhere or does anyone know a dealer in the Phoenix/Las Vegas area? I'm not looking to purchase now, but maybe in a few months.

9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have an old pair of KLH 6's, I love the way they sound. But my question, what do you consider a low volume? You know that volume is a very subjective thing. I just got through listening to some Hendrix at about 62db SPL, although it did peak once or twice at 79db SPL, I thought that this was quite low. My speakers seemed to sound quite good, but I usually like to listen at about 74db SPL, with peaks extending into the 90db SPL range, but that's just me.

10. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

I live in an apartment and besides my Snells J's I also have a pair of
    Celestion Model 100's that are really sweet and relaxing at low volume
    levels. Superb midrange and soundstage. Not terribly efficient though.
    Fifty watts or better is the way to go to make them sing.

11. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Oh, that's because Grados are hyper-sensitive and have a very low impedance. It also helps they are the most dynamic headphone I've ever listened to. :nauga:

12. tone ded freb

What do you use to measure the volume level? I don't know how many decibels it would be, but I would be interested to know.

13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have a cheap Rat Shack digital sound pressure level meter. I bought this little toy last year because I finally got into surround sound, and I wanted to calibrate my system accurately. Generally speaking one can also determine the volume by using a voltometer hooked up to your reciever's speaker outputs if you know the exact sensitivity of your particular speakers. Right now I am listening to BLIND FAITH DELUXE EDITION, Disc two with the outtakes, and my system is turned to 3 on the volume control, but my SPL meter indicates that my actual volume is flucutating between 66db SPL and 73db SPL.
    As a note: I am making my readings at my listening position.

14. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I think one of the things that determines good sound (adequate detail, balanced frequency response) at low listening levels is the diaphragm/cone mass the amplifier needs to move: IME the lower the better. For example, my VMPS speakers have a ribbon tweeter, wide-band ribbon midrange, and graphite-cone woofers--all of them of very or extremely low mass. I find that their tonal balance and retrieval of detail is essentially the same at low volumes as at high; the only difference is that at low volumes I don't have the same urge to get up and play air guitar. VMPS's designer, Brian Cheney, even recommends using their 626 ribbon model as a kind of loudspeaker-headphone: for low listening levels just toe them in further and sit closer.

John K.

15. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

John, I think you make a very good point. My MartinLogans sound great (after heavy EQ) at just about any volume level. I guess the mylar strip really does wonders...

16. Metralla

I'm not certain that I agree with this as a generalization that applies across the board to all speaker designs. For example, electrostatic speakers have an extremely low moving mass, and yet some of them need quite a bit of welly before the sound in the room really starts to bloom. You raise an important point, but I'm not prepared to accept it as a rule.

17. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Quads sound fantastic at low volumes. Using tube amps to power them also helps. I also remember listening to Martin Logan CLSes once or twice at very low levels and being able to hear EVERYTHING clearly.

18. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Well, I did say "One" of the things... ;)

I can think of many other variables, including crossover design, amplifer design, cable inductance/impedence, speaker design and "voicing", etc.

I have no experience with electrostatics. Maybe their need for, and interaction with an external voltage source has something to do with the fact that they need some volume to "bloom"? Does this mean that they sound less coherent at low volumes?

John K.

19. Metralla

They do. And they won't go that loud either.

20. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

True, but the 988s and 989s are much better in this regard. The sweet spots are also much larger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.