Needledrops: What software do you use to record vinyl?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SteelyNJ, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

Occasionally I make digital backups of vinyl records. I usually use a program I got many years ago called Spin It Again from Acoustica but although it's user friendly and still works, it can be somewhat quirky and hasn't been updated in about 9 years. Also, it doesn't record directly to FLAC (my file format of choice) so I have to run all the WAV tracks through a separate and rather inconvenient conversion process before applying the final metadata tags.

I know Audacity is free and can do most of what I need, but I'm not a fan of the interface. I'm curious to know what programs you guys use and why. I ran a trial version of VinylStudio many years ago and thought it was promising but since I already had and was familiar with Spin It Again, I never activated the AlpineSoft program. A LONG, LONG time ago I used Spin Doctor, which was bundled with Roxio Easy CD Creator. Quite frankly, I think I liked that software better than anything that followed.

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I don't really like Audacity either. My digital editor is Sound Forge. Very intuitive (at least to me). Mind you I'm not actually using it to record. I record to micro SD using a Tascam DR-05, then transfer the file to my PC for editing.

PhilBiker and SteelyNJ like this.
  3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

VinylStudio. Seemed like the best choice for me when I started out last summer, and I've been very happy with it.

500Homeruns, Kyle Mooney and SteelyNJ like this.
  4. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Pretty sure Adobe Audition should be on that list

5. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

GoldWave

SteelyNJ likes this.
  6. dub_siq

dub_siq Forum Resident

Yup. That’s what I use, though mostly cuz I have access to the Adobe Suite from work.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  7. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I run my phono preamp directly into the Tascam DA-3000 which is a standalone hi-res recorder. It can record PCM up to 192kHz/24bit and double-rate DSD natively. Then I take the recordings from that and edit out the pops and clicks in iZotope RX6 Advanced.

Done A Ton and SteelyNJ like this.
  8. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I do exactly the same.
    Using a one of many simultaneously actively running software programs on a trioptipolymultitasking computer to capture a recording seems like not using the right tool for the job to me. I use the Tascam as a simple recorder to do one thing, record. Then move it to the computer to process.

I have in the past used Adobe Audition, Izotope RX (3, 4, 5, 6), and Amadeus Pro to capture on my MacBook Pro, they all worked fine (none made the list!), but I simply prefer using a recorder to record.

Done A Ton, AlanDistro and SteelyNJ like this.
  9. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

My method is to capture a whole album or side from a Linn DSM at 24/192 in a wav file using Songcorder.

I edit this down to separate files for each track and eliminate pops and clicks with Soundforge and save to my NAS in an appropriately named folder. In this process, I name each file with track number and title by copying from a CLZ Music database I use to keep track of LPs.

The next stage is to add metadata using mp3tag. This is relatively easy because I already have the track numbers and names in the filename and artist and album names from the folders. Finally, convert the wav files to flac using the dbpoweramp converter.

This all sounds very involved but I've done so many times now it seems fairly straightforward to me and the results are barely any different from the original. If the source LP sounded better than the equivalent CD or download that superiority is usually preserved in the flac copy.

Effectively, I am just capturing the digital steam in my DSM and then inserting it back at the same point on playback and with a bit of processing and storage on a NAS in betweeen.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    SteelyNJ likes this.
  10. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

ProTools Digi 002, circa 2005...
    Click Repair
    JRiver Media Center
    Pono player...

SteelyNJ likes this.
  11. booker

booker Forum Resident

I went through many apps and I can tell you that there is nothing better to record vinyl records than Amadeus Pro for Mac. This is a great application with well thought clean and simple screen for users and very effective manual click removal tool.

12. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I use VinylStudio with an Audient iD14 as audio capture device.

luckybaer, 500Homeruns and SteelyNJ like this.
  13. Miha Podlogar

Miha Podlogar Well-Known Member

NCH WavePad !

macster and SteelyNJ like this.
  14. Micke Lindahl

Micke Lindahl Forum Resident

Steinberg WaveLab 6 for recording. Adobe Audition 3.0 and iZotope RX 3 for post processing.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  15. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Other: Izotope RX4 Advanced

SteelyNJ likes this.
  16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I use Amadeus Pro for Mac as well. Have been for quite a number of years. It's not too expensive and it works wonderfully and reliably. No reason for me to switch at this point.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  17. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

It absolutely should. It's practically an industry standard. Cool Edit Pro (its predecessor) is legendary.

Ed

Pete74 and SteelyNJ like this.
  18. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

Steinberg Wavelab. Have used it since version 1.6. Now at version 9.5, nothing can replace it for my audio recording/editing needs.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

None. I record straight to a cd-r with a Tascam cd recorder. My vinyl is perfect enough condition, I don't need to "edit" it. "What you hear, is what you get"...

andy749 and SteelyNJ like this.
  20. SteelyNJ

Yes, it should have been and I apologize for not including it. Same with Izotope. I knew I forgot a few programs.

Nostaljack likes this.
  21. SteelyNJ

Unfortunately I'm the last Windows holdout in my family.

Micke Lindahl likes this.
  22. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Audition

23. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I need Adobe Audition for work, so I record and do some editing using that. It's a very powerful program with way more features than needed to digitize vinyl (and it's expensive).

If I could only use one single program it would Amadeus Pro. It's affordable, it has all the basic features you need, plus a few bells and whistles, and most important for digitizing vinyl it has a great function called "split tracks according to markers" which splits and numbers tracks. Once you've done that you can drag and drop into iTunes (or any other player) without needing to enter any further metadata.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  24. Jwest97

Jwest97 Bass Player for Luxury Furniture Store

I just use Audacity. I know it's not a fully equipped DAW, but it's free and it works. I am curious, has anyone tried out the Capstan Plug-in on a proper DAW? It's supposed to correct Wow and Flutter issues that can be present on Analog Recordings.

25. Jwest97

Jwest97 Bass Player for Luxury Furniture Store

Also, I'm curious about what kind of interfaces some of you guys like to use for this. I use a Focusrite Scarlett. Has anyone tried it with something really nice like one of Apogee's interfaces?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.