Neil Diamond retires from touring

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bonddm, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I’m glad I gave my parents tix for his show at Madison Square Garden last year. They had a great time and really enjoyed it.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The Spectrum covered today...Neil Diamond to Rush

4. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Malina, MikaelaArsenault, 905 and 3 others like this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This is definitely major news. His legacy will be enjoyed for many more years. One of the greatest entertainers ever.

7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Glad I got to see him. My mother played his music when I was a kid and I still enjoy it as an adult.

8. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Song sung blue, indeed. :D

9. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

As someone who has lost two family members to that horrible disease, let me just say, “**** Parkinson’s.” I wish Neil and his loved ones the best.

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

How old is Neil?

12. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

My beloved aunt Pauline was diagnosed years ago with it and when I went to visit her last year for the first time since I emigrated, I could barely keep it together. She was emaciated, bed ridden & could no longer communicate. Yeah, it ****ing sucks man. Kia kaha Neil. I'm sure many of those booked their tickets here for his Kiwi shows will understand completely.

13. AKA

AKA Senior Member

He’ll turn 77 on Wednesday.

14. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Parkinson's, brutal disease indeed

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Bizarrely, we had just gotten to his second - and last - solo #1 hit late Saturday night in the forum's Every Billboard #1 Hit discussion... Head over to that link to check out the discussion of "Song Sung Blue", which also ended up touching on a lot of Neil's career in general.

Touching me, touching you...

Very sad news about Neil. I loved a lot of his singles, especially as a kid ("Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show" was a favorite 45 from my uncle's large collection), and I'm still fond of them today. Even as a teen I was a huge fan of his hits off The Jazz Singer, which probably isn't a very hip thing to admit to, but I still think they're excellently produced earworms for the era.

I hope he weathers this diagnosis as well as one possibly can.

16. A damn shame, but at least he's accentuating the positive and intends to write and record as long as possible.

17. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Seen him live twice and had a great time at both shows. I'm glad to read that he'll still make albums. I've grown up with Neil's music and I wish him well.

oxegen likes this.
  18. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I used to own one of Neil's compilation on cassette and I played it often in the car. I will buy a compilation on iTunes today whichever is MFiT.

19. keyXVII

keyXVII Forum Resident

Oh, bless his heart...take good care of yourself, Neil, and know you are loved and appreciated.

20. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I remember my older sisters 45 Cherry Cherry on Bang Records back in the 60s.I was just a wee lad.He's had a long career.Should be no regrets.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  21. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Recording Academy will honor him with its Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammys on Sunday.

22. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very sad news. I last saw Neil about 20 years ago and was impressed with his comprehensive setlist and overall stamina. Glad to hear he'll continue to record.

23. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

Saw him in Worcester MA about 30 years ago. Thanks and take care Neil.

24. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

25. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

Just one more reminder that father time will not be denied. The next few years aren't going to be fun for music fans of the last 60 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.