Neil Diamond retires from touring

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bonddm, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, when Bowie died one of my first thoughts was that his death will be the first of a wave of acts I grew up with shuffling off this mortal coil. Since then we've lost Glenn Frey, Prince, George Michael and Tom Petty, to mention just the highlights. And the Grim Reaper is only warming up...

:cry:

2. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

I'm really sorry to hear this news, but I'm glad Neil is determined to continue writing and recording music. I was fortunate enough to see him live twice over the years and his performances were always top-notch. I always hoped I'd get a chance to see him in concert again. He never disappointed. I've been a fan since I was a kid listening to my mom's "Touching You Touching Me" album and followed him throughout his career. Thanks for the music and memories Neil. Hope to hear from you again soon...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

My mother loved him.

I saw him in concert with my mother in the 80's.

Didn't realize he was that old.

4. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

77 years old is tough for a world tour. If he does indeed have Parkinson's disease, that is no laughing matter. He will need to keep up his strength. Neil doesn't have anything to prove anyway. His fans will continue to love his music whether he tours or not.

Hep Alien and Joti Cover like this.
  5. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

Saw him 2 years ago and was massively impressed, he could definitely still bring the goods onstage! Very sad to hear this:mad:

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear that. He's a great talent, but he has to take care of his health. Stay strong, Neil!

7. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Performing into his mid-seventies is already a considerable accomplishment, and Parkinson's doesn't have as bleak a prognosis today as it did thirty or forty years ago. I hope that this news prompts a wave of celebration of Diamond’s career rather than an outbreak of mourning.

Uther, Hep Alien, agundy and 5 others like this.
  8. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

The last two years has already been brutal: David Bowie, Prince, George Michael, Glenn Fry, Tom Petty. Heck just this past week Dolores O'Riordan.

Neil has been touring for 50 years....50 years!! That's incredible when you think of it; with my lazy bones I probably would do two years and be out.

Neil is still with us and plans to be continue his music career. Let's hope he still has many years with us and that treatment can at least keep the devil he has in check.

Thank you Neil!!

9. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Sending out positive thoughts to Neil.

peace and love✌Dave

10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

The first single:

"You Are My Love at Last" - Neil and Jack (w/ Jack Packer), 1962.

11. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

what a great run, we are getting news here on his cancelled tours, but I don't have any bad
    feelings about it, he has been to Australia many many times.
    he is one of those greats you 'assume' he'll go on forever eh? but wow, 77!
    he doesn't look or act it.
    well done! Mr Diamond!

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I saw him about 10 times between 1976 (age 7) and 2005 (36). I wish I'd have gone when he was here last year but I didn't even know about it until I read the review the next day .

13. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

He played in Lansdowne Road Stadium Dublin every summer for at least the last 20 years. I have been to two of them. He always ends up playing Forever In Blue Jeans at least three times.
    "Do you want to hear it again?" he always asks.

14. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

This may explain his speech when he was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Parkinson’s Disease is sometimes mistaken for drunkenness. :cry:

16. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Two of my Brazilian students are big fans of Neil and asked me if I'd take them to his Boston show a few years back. I am not at all a fan though I do like some of his lyrics. He puts on a great show - gives it his all - and he is much loved for sure. Parkinson's is a horrible disease, and he, like all the others, does not deserve this and go out this way. I wish him well and hope that he can resist the ravages of this illness with all the strength - physical and mental - he can muster.

MikaelaArsenault and melstapler like this.
  17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

18. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Slight exaggeration there.

19. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Certainly seemed like it.

Sammy Waslow likes this.
  20. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I saw him about 30 years ago--he'd sold out six nights at Capital Centre, which I believe was a record for the venue. Sad to hear those days are over for him. I hope he does stay focused on his writing and doesn't let this terrible disease bring him down.

21. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

My first Neil show was the opening night of his tour in Columbus, OH about 2.5 weeks after September 11th in 2001. It was PHENOMENAL!!! He opened with a rendition of “America” and I swear the entire Schottenstein Center came off its foundation. I went with my parents and walked out a fan for life — I have seen him 3 additional times since. When I asked I still say that Neil Diamond has the best concert I have ever seen, not including Paul McCartney.

This news is heartbreaking but I am forever grateful for the four evenings I was able to spend with Neil. The last time was last May in Cleveland and he did a hell of a show, but he did seem to be still and walked slower. He sat some which I don’t remember him ever doing, but you just put it off as “he’s 76 and still out here giving all he has to all of us.” The man’s legacy will shine on for a long time to come.

His Accoustic Christmas album is simply beautiful, too. Perfect during the holidays while the snow falls and you sit back and watch through the windows.

Hep Alien and Bryan Harris like this.
  22. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Sending best wishes to Mr. Diamond... what an amazing career. He really seemed to have a passion for live performance so I'm sorry he has to stop.

Hopefully, he can re-channel that energy into coping with this disease.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

My first concert in 1970, Desert Moines, IA. Odetta opened. Nose bleed seats.
    Great show.

bluejimbop likes this.
  24. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Sad to hear :(. I saw him live in 2012 and it was a great show. Solid sound and lots of energy and he was 71 at that time. Aside from the obvious sadness of his diagnosis, I can't imagine the magnitude of how hard this has hit him emotionally given how much he loved performing live.

25. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Like many of us (or so I suspect), I'll admit to some degree of snark regarding the Neilster over the years. But I've never questioned his talent. Truly a monumental career. Wishing him all the best going forward!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    sunspot42 and GroovyGuy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.