Neil Young - 1983 Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Karn Evil 9, Feb 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karn Evil 9

Karn Evil 9 Black Labs Matter Thread Starter

Did anyone catch Neil Young on his 1983 tour? A buddy and I went to see him 2/4/83 at the Sundome in Tampa. This tour came on the heels of Neil's 1982 HBO concert in Berlin. That concert was one of the first things that I taped with my first VCR (which I paid $800 for). What a killer concert.

So we go to Tampa that night to see Neil. He comes out on stage with a chair and an acoustic guitar. We stayed for a while then got up and left (to go party some more, I'm sure). It's not that he wasn't good; it just wasn't what we came for. We came to get rocked out by Bruce Palmer, Nils Lofgren, Joe Lala, and company.

Some years later, I mentioned that concert to an acquaintance who told he, "Hey, dumb a**. You should have stuck around. Neil took an intermission then came back with the band. They played until midnight."

I guess I just want confirmation that I really AM a dumb a** for having left when I did.

2. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

setlist 1983/02/04 tampa

1. The Old Laughing Lady
    2. Motor City
    3. Revolution Blues
    4. Don't Let It Bring You Down
    5. Soul Of A Woman
    6. Are There Any More Real Cowboys?
    7. Old Man
    8. My Boy
    9. Helpless
    10. Dance Dance Dance
    11. Heart Of Gold
    12. Don't Be Denied
    13. Pocahontas
    14. Sail Away
    15. Powderfinger
    16. Ohio
    17. Human Highway
    18. After The Gold Rush
    19. Transformer Man
    20. My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue)
    21. Mr. Soul
    ---
    22. Comes A Time
    23. I Am A Child
    24. Computer Age

Neil Young - vocals, acoustic guitar, harmonica, piano, banjo

Larry Cragg - drums, banjo, pedal steel guitar

Joel Bernstein - vocoder, synclavier, synthesizer and acoustic guitar

The MEZ, davers and Karn Evil 9 like this.
  3. Stringman

Stringman Forum Resident

No band it was acoustic with help from some friends, Joel and Larry

4. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

Computer Age is with electric guitar

5. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

That's a good setlist.

The MEZ, qtrules, O Don Piano and 2 others like this.
  6. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

Wow, synclavier! That's the last thing I'd associate with Neil Young; maybe a moog or a workhorse like the SK-1 or FZ-1, but not the beast only Zappa could tame. I wonder if any recordings of this period exist. Would be interesting to hear how it was used.

7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I heard that he offered you a piece of gum but you were gone.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  8. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

FWIW, after a show is over, most venues I’ve gone to turn on the hall lights, and then chase everyone outside.

I guess I could have tried to hide under a seat, or the restroom, but my older brother probably would have abandoned me, on the spot...

9. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

You should listen to Trans.

numer9 likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The MEZ likes this.
  11. Just a couple of weeks later in Buffalo, NY on Feb. 17th, 1983
    My first Neil Young show (of many to come) & an asolutely great show it was!!
    Neil Young Setlist at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo

RAZORMADE likes this.
  12. davers

davers Forum Resident

Agreed; it's difficult to imagine a setlist I'd enjoy more - unless he added even more early 80s stuff (I love that Neil era).

I planned to catch his Seattle show that year but never heard any radio ads and failed to search out info in those pre-internet days.

I've seen many Neil shows since but suspect that would've been a top tier show for me!

13. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Yes, I saw it at Madison Square Garden. At the time I was more into the Scorpions and things like that, but my brother had an extra ticket so I went. It was good. Long time ago but as far as I can recall it was just Neil.

Ray29 likes this.
  14. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I also caught the MSG show, I was only 14. Had seen Clapton in New Jersey a couple nights earlier and was so disappointed. It was a a snooze fest. On to Neil-It was him alone as I recall. Freaking amazing. Mr Soul rocked. Really a special night. First time seeing him and I got punished for going. “You went to Madison Square Garden by Subway without permission”. My Mom hid my guitar under her bed for a week.

500Homeruns likes this.
  15. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

My first time seeing Neil was at the Cow Palace that year. My friends and I were disappointed because we assumed it would be like the Rust Never Sleeps movie, with a band for most of it. Looking back, I'm glad I got to see that show of course.

I read in Rolling Stone that Neil would have a band for his Summer tour, so I got a ticket for Cal Expo but was dismayed when it seemed to be basically the same, with no band. It was the first ever concert at that venue so a large part of the crowd wasn't that into Neil and lots of people left early. I was pretty psyched when, after the "Sugar Mountain" encore, they pushed out a drum set and amps, but I wasn't expecting the band that we got for the extended second encore. (The album came out a few days later)

JoeRockhead likes this.
  16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Yeah I'd say you were what you've described yourself as. A great setlist and it was NEIL YOUNG!!!!!:p:D:laugh::agree:

17. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

We had front row seats at Philly's Spectrum but it was cancelled due to snow and was never rescheduled.

18. Gniksam

Gniksam Forum Resident

Also at the Cow Palace: I remember getting chills when he finished his acoustic set with an update of the last line of After the Gold Rush--"Look at Mother Nature on the run in the 1980's"-- then put down his guitar, strapped on a headset mic and launched into this crazy futuristic TRANS material.

T'was a TRANScendent moment, and performance.

19. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

saw the 1983 tour 9-1-83 in East Rutherford NJ, my first Neil show! Shocking Pinks and Trans material got booed, including by my friends but I loved it.

The MEZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.