Neil Young announces upcoming 10 disc Archives release on Blu-ray Nov. 3, 2008, Pt. 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Apparently eliminating some of the nice Blu-Ray only features originally suggested and certainly requiring different authoring/navigation.

That kind of information makes me feel that we'd be lucky if it even sees release by the *end* of 2009.

Sheesh. Guess I'll just go buy the other two live releases now and take the loss if this set really ever does come out.

2. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Everyone needs to stop expecting it to actually appear. It won't come out until he's long gone.

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

What's your source? Do you know anyone involved with Lookout Management? I doubt it.

4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I guess the record company decided to rein him in on the Blu-Ray only. I had the feeling this would happenand Reprise would "win" - if there is such a thing. No way would Reprise allow this to only be released on a media type that few people have adopted. I wonder how long it will be before they announce that the audio portions will be available on CD. I'll bet it will be just a matter of time......

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Quite a bit of rapping on this release - hope that doesn't upset the forum's anti-hip-hop contingent too much. :D

I know the Chief will be down with MC Mr. Soul.

6. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

my source? are you kidding? my source is common sense, following his career for a very long time, waiting for this thing for 20 years, enduring countless interviews, speculation about its contents, format changes, etc. Neil himself has said over the years that he wanted it all done right so that when he's gone, it can come out the way he intended. please, you don't need to know anyone at his management to see what's really going on.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

8. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I wasn't kidding. That's why I said it. :)

Did you stop to think that one reason it was delayed is because perhaps he (at one time) was locating more material. Look at how long it took for the Springfield box to be put together. Bill Inglot started in the late 80's, only to be stopped by Neil. When did it appear? 2001! I think it'll be worth the wait.

I feel everybody's frustration. But I think it will be worth the wait. Did any of us ever think we'd see the Massey Hall and Fillmore sets being released? I can wait. Besides, I listen to more artists than just Neil Young. I can fry other fish for the time being.

10. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

I couldn't believe my eyes :laugh:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3864222&postcount=37

Neil thinks DVD is good enough??? Eh??? :D

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It's actually taking more of DVD's market share every week.

12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

That must be way Neil is apparently backing away from it?

Also, with 90% of movies and 99% of TV shows not yet on Blu-Ray, I have no fear of standard DVD's sticking around.

13. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Clearly settling on the right technology -- and the uncertainty about what technologies are going to take off -- is the reason for the holdup, not just Neil's flakiness. As I've said before, I think some people forget when they talk about this that it is a multimedia project -- a complete archive of Neil's career -- not just a Bootleg Series type set of songs. And it's a multi-part thing, so he presumably doesn't want to start in one format and then find he has to change to another.

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Oops! Thought I scanned the last few day's posts pretty well. Even Gorts make mistakes ;)

16. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

If this is Neil's thinking, doesn't this desire to go "multi-media" doom the whole project? It seems like, more than ever, there is instability in audio/video formats right now. So I can't figure why Neil wouldn't just release the d*** thing in a CD/DVD format and be done with it. We're talking about 30+ year old archive releases anyway. How much sound/picture quality has been lost in the past few decades just because of TIME passed.

17. TimJo

TimJo New Member

Well, like I posted earlier, L. A. Johnson indicated Feb. '09 on Sunday.

He is closer to knowing what's going on than any of us. He talks to Neil and Elliot Roberts all the time...

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

This last delay must be pretty important for Neil to bypass the Christmas shopping season.

19. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

20. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Neil Young at Massey Hall = awesome. :D

21. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

One of the best CD/DVD releases I have great concert.

22. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I'd be willing to bet that the delay has nothing to do with the Archives, and everything to do with Neil pursuing other activities, non-musical activities. I have no reason to believe that except the circumstantial evidence of his enthusiasm for the Lincvolt project.

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

A shrewd business move would be offering the DVD version first and offering the BD version a couple years later.

24. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

stick a pin in it for me too, amigo

25. Bill Sherbon

Bill Sherbon Forum Resident

Seems like not many people in this thread have hi-def TVs. As someone who does have a hi-def TV/home theater system I was interested in this release only as a large multimedia BluRay release - oh well, more money for me to spend elsewhere!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.