Neil Young announces upcoming 10 disc Archives release on Blu-ray Nov. 3, 2008, Pt. 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Too much discussion about releases like this is driven by inaccurate information found on the Internet... of course it doesn't help when Billboard messes up too.

2. It probably did come from the 'first version' of that Billboard article... no mention of source only "Now we're hearing..."
    I find this all quite interesting even though its something that has not yet materialized...
    If it does end up coming out on Blu-ray in early 2009, I'm thinking maybe Neil should consider a healthy investment in Blu-ray players if he hasn't already.
    I imagine he will be directly responsible for the selling of quite a number of them! :laugh:

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

neilyoung.com has reported dvd's AND blu-ray

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

They also reported that it would be released in 2007.:sigh:

5. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

not this week they didn't.

they said Archives will be on DVD and blu-ray in their press release THIS WEEK about the new "Sugar Mountain" release.

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

And you believe this?

:nauga:

7. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

DVD will an option .

8. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Call me crazy, but I just want good old-fashioned cds.

9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

i'm with you there... but if DVD-A is an option, i'll at least get it.
    with blu-ray, i won't.

10. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Me too..

11. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Call me crazy, but:

My g/f asked me how much NY's Archives (Vol.1) will cost and I told her 'oh about £150... and it's only coming out on Blu-Ray...'

Then she asked me how much a Blu-Ray player would cost and I told her 'oh about £150..'

Then she asked me how much of the Archives would be different to the existing songs on the 45 Neil Young albums I alreay owned and I told her 'oh about 25 percent...'

...and then she stopped talking to me for 3 days... :sigh:

12. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Crazy G/F's !!!!!!

13. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

only 3 days -she must really luv ya :D

14. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Amazon.com is now taking pre-orders for a January 2009 release:$301 for a 10-disc Blu-Ray edition & $240 for a 10-disc DVD edition. Somehow, I don't think it's going to sell in massive quantities.

15. Jon C

Jon C New Member

I notice it quotes the running time at 20 hours (1200 minutes). I wonder how accurate that is? At around 2 hours a disc, I'm happy at the price. I already have a blu ray player and judging from the demo of the final product, I think this will offer an experience like no other box set. Can't wait!

16. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

300 bucks? Yikes! Buy it? Of course!

17. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Wow!

That's $24 dollars per dvd! And that's sale price! Almost $35 per dvd retail! I've never seen a dvd retail that high before!

Maybe I was naive, but I didn't expect that. It Looks like Reprise is planning on using the "normal" release to offset losses from the Blu-Ray edition (btw, thanks for that, Neil). If the dvd set is $240, the other one should be more like $350!

Hopefully they're will be a huge discount upon initial release at the big box stores...

18. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Seems like a no brainer to me unless there are tons of extras on the Blu Ray its got to be the DVD version which you wiill also be able to play on your Blu Ray player.

19. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Latest word on the Archives: they will now be available exclusively on HD-DVD, laserdisk, and 8-track...oh, and the release date has been pushed back to...

20. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

For that price, I'd actually now prefer the Archives to be delayed. That way, blu-ray prices will come down, and Reprise won't rape/extort us as bad on the dvd edition...

21. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I want the Blu-Ray, but even if I have $300 to spare, I have GOT to find a way to sneak that purchase past my wife. That's a good bit of dough there. Geez, at $30 per disc, you don't even get a discount. Usually multi-sets cut down on the price of each disc. Same for the DVD - $24 per disc in this day and age?

22. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

The Cowgirl in the Sand drift Too Far Gone...

:laugh: :agree: :laugh::agree: :shake: :sigh: :help:

Allow me to be the first in line (today?) to OFFICIALLY bow out of this silly set and set-up, and step out of a long line of loyal fan still bent over getting reemed... :shake:

:cheers:

23. Me too, No CDs, no buy!:sigh:

24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Count me out too. Enough already. I'm done.

25. street legal

street legal Senior Member

No CD's??? :( Well, now I'm glad that I did buy the Fillmore East & Massey Hall CD's when they were frist released.

I was really hoping for at least part of this set to be CD's, & not just DVD video footage. I've still got music DVD's that I bought a year ago that I haven't gotten a chance to watch yet. At 20 hours of footage (if accurate) that will take me at least a couple of months to get through.

At least if there were some CD's, I could work my way through the set while driving in the car, etc.

As big of a Neil fan as I am, I will be passing on this initially.
    The price is NOT right, & I'll be just as happy to pick up a second hand copy on Ebay (which I'm sure there will be tons of) in a year or two for $150 or so, maybe even less. Hell, I've waited this long for the Archives!!!

P.S. - I *still* wouldn't bet the farm that this is even going to come out in January, 2009 as Amazon states. For the hardcore fan, I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.