Neil Young Harvest Moon 2XLP Reissue for Record Store Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviethan, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

Split over four sides would look like:

Side A - 13:29
    Unknown Legend (4:32); From Hank to Hendrix (5:12); You and Me (3:45)

Side B - 10:44
    Harvest Moon (5:03); War of Man (5:41)

Side C - 12:28
    One of These Days (4:55); Such a Woman (4:36); Old King (2:57)

Side D - 14:58
    Dreamin' Man (4:36); Natural Beauty (10:22)

This has a couple advantages—namely, putting "Harvest Moon" at the beginning of a side where the grooves are longer and the resolution is better. "Harvest Moon" is also the song most people will want to drop the needle on, so putting it at the front of a side is handy. Also, it keeps "War of Man" and "One of These Days" at the end and beginning of their respective sides, which appeals to me, as I always thought the album's track order and side division works well. The downside, obviously, is lots of getting up and flipping.

I'm guessing this could work at 45 RPM, too, unless the 15 minutes on Side D is pushing it. Anyone know what the limit is? "Natural Beauty" doesn't sound super dynamic to me, especially with the long fade out, so maybe it could be done.

jlf likes this.
  2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

stop with the nonsense

3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

As was posted up thread, it's digital.

4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Most say that 12-14 minutes is optimal, but 15 at 45rpm is possible.

Lecords likes this.
  5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

It’s not gonna be all analog and it’s not gonna be 45rpm.

Nightswimmer and c-eling like this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Agreed. I'm just hoping they can work some good EQ into it. A few tracks on this album are quite lifeless...
    If done at 45 the only thing they could possibly add would be volume and bloated bass...

7. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Neil has stated (no, I don't have precise documentation, but there is video somewhere...) that they record to analog tape AND digital simultaneously, in case of future vinyl reissues. I cannot tell you whether it has always been this way, since he started recording digitally in the 1980s, or if this is something relatively new for Neil & the crew.
    This should put everyone's fears to rest...I am guessing Chris Bellman cut this reissue from the very best source he was given.
    Maybe Chris will weigh in on the subject, if he is allowed to...?

c-eling likes this.
  8. Vinyl Socks

Wow.
    To each their own...but wow :eek::eek::eek: :)

9. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I'm thinking if this were the case we'd of seen a hi-rez (above 44) during the Pono campaign. But nothing was ever released. I was thinking this was the reason for the skip.
    We'll know for sure once someone does a transfer and checks the Spec

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  10. Vinyl Socks

I forgot about that...you're correct. Yeah...but it's slightly possible that a multi-track analog reel was running during recording, or an analog 2-track reel-to-reel was capturing the mix as they did the digital stuff.
    You never know! :)

c-eling likes this.
  11. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

Neil bought a sony PCM-3324 digital 1 inch 24 track machine in '83, and used that until he got back into tape and purchased studer A800s in 1994. Sleeps with angels was recorded at The complex studios in LA, to tape. He used the digital tape machines at his home studio

The sony was a top of the line unit, with a 6 figure price tag. If you search them online, the top returns are people trying to give them away now!

Cassius and 0476pearljam like this.
  12. So, did he mix and master both formats or will the supposed analog have to be mixed and mastered? Either of these options seem like a long shot.

13. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

I don't disagree that those albums could be reappraised - but OG copies are not exactly in short supply on vinyl.

I guess what I meant is that I'm a little disappointed that I have to wait for them to reissue the more popular all-digitally recorded run of "Freedom / Ragged Glory / Harvest Moon" where vinyl most likely won't be an improvement over the CD's anyway. The mid 90's run, although not as popular or critically acclaimed are as hard if not harder to find on vinyl, and since they were supposedly all analog could really benefit more from the format.

0476pearljam likes this.
  14. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Well, as you say, I guess we'll find out soon. Can't blame a guy for trying to be optimistic...

c-eling likes this.
  15. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I have Landing On Water, Harvest Moon, Sleeps With Angels, Freedom, Ragged Glory, Mirror Ball and Broken Arrow on original vinyl. I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me, but off the top of my head would say that the first three are digital. Not sure about Freedom and Ragged Glory. Believe that most tracks on Mirror Ball are analogue, but a few are digital. With the exception of the track Interstate, Broken Arrow is definitely all analogue and the best sounding of the bunch....quite superb actually!

As long as a record sounds good to my ears then I'm not particularly bothered how it was recorded, but if someone wants me to check out something on the sleeve notes or whatever on any of the above records, then I'll be happy to do so when I have time.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    picassoson likes this.
  16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I have bolded the digital recordings.

picassoson and willboy like this.
  17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

It's important not to get distracted by the way digitally sourced vinyl actually sounds. What's essential is to hold fast to the abstract idea that vinyl from digital is a horrible crime.

TS582, e.s., mahanusafa02 and 2 others like this.
  18. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I only got Sleeps With Angels, which also sounds excellent, completely wrong, so not too bad at all!

Thanks for that, Kevin.

19. Vinyl Socks

Yes, a long shot...I didn't claim either. I only spoke of potential outcomes.
    Who knows? We might not ever find out, because Neil isn't going to be announcing an LP re-cut from a 16/44.1 digital file...I think it will simply be released as-is and most people outside of this forum will be none-the-wiser.

20. Vinyl Socks

Anyone could record their own personal Trans in the basement now!
    :laugh:

21. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The important thing is the quality of the recording. Cowboy Junkies Trinity Session was 16/44.1 and sounds great. Lets hope (probably) Chris Bellman can work his magic on this.

What does the original vinyl sound like?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  22. Vinyl Socks

Personally, I've never heard the original LP. The CD, IMO, sounds very good.

Fishoutofwater and richbdd01 like this.
  23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Funny thing is that on my old system a few years ago (Tag McLaren gear), Unknown Legend seemed to make my amp go into safety mode...like it couldn’t handle the peaks of that song. It didn’t do it on any other cd and i had around 1,200 in my collection when I had a cd based system.

24. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

I don't prefer vinyl to be digitally sourced, but I'm not dogmatic about it, and don't deny that it can still sound good. I guess my problem in the case of "Ragged Glory / Harvest Moon" is that I've never liked the sound of these recordings in general (not sure if it's the mix or processing or whatever) - they've always just sounded weird and harsh and digital to me - in a way that other all-digital recordings from that period don't (see that Cowboy Junkies album). I'm probably particularly fixated on it in this case because I really love the songs and performances on "Ragged Glory / Harvest Moon" and wish they could sonically sound as good as some of the later albums. I get ear fatigue on "Ragged Glory" especially.

25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I spun my copy of the "don't spook the horse" 7" last night. now THERE'S a potential RSD goldmine!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.