Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

The Detroit crowd must have been pretty bad because I thought the Saturday crowd in Chicago was obnoxious.

2. highway

highway Forum Resident

It’s natural after many years of performing that one would get tired of it.

Also I’m sure there’s days Neil tolerates and days Neil doesn’t feel tolerant and that’s perfectly fine.

One of Neil’s greatest acoustic performances in my opinion is Down by the River on Massey Hall, preceded with multiple shouts for songs (including electric songs), and Neil rewards the loudest shouter.

3. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I stopped screaming out song titles at shows in my teens. It’s a sign of immaturity, as is not being able to control your alcohol.

footlooseman, DTK, Yorick and 2 others like this.
  4. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I wouldn't say obnoxious, but they were definitely pumped up and excited. There were a few song request shouts which are annoying, but mostly just a lot of enthusiasm, especially for such a quiet and mostly melancholy set. It took me back at first, but not in a bad way.

Frankie TAN likes this.
  5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

There's a track on the well-distributed 1999 solo tour compilation called "Shut Up A**hole". That was one guy getting under Neil's skin, and Neil's response was fast and succinct. The crowd in Detroit the other night was 10 times worse than that night in Philly, IMO.

Rockinrob likes this.
  6. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Don Henley had a great comeback to someone screaming songs at the Garden State Arts Center-"Ah, I remember my first beer."

7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

also a steve earle-ism

footlooseman, DTK and Groundcat like this.
  8. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I seem to remember some choice comments from Neil at the 1999 Seattle show I saw. People kept yelling for things like Cinnamon Girl and he got tired of it.

RayS likes this.
  9. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

I understand it, I just think it's overblown and amplified by Neil's sensitivity based on his expectations. Again, a lot of people complained that the St. Louis crowd was rowdy and disrespectful, but it seems like Neil didn't notice. I watched the Detroit live-stream, and though the audio was slightly inconsistent, the crowd didn't seem to be too loud (for good or bad) at any time.

I think overall there were some technical issues with the sound/mix and that probably irritated Neil more than anything else, and when combined with some rowdy fans, Neil went into his cocoon a little bit.
    NYF

10. NeilYoungFan

It was likely very similar--I think Neil just let a few things get to him in Detroit a little more than usual (or he just chose this show to "educate" his fans in a public setting).
    NYF

11. freditor

freditor Forum Resident

Just a point of clarification, most were respectful, and listening intently to whatever Neil was doing. Unfortunately, a few loud-mouths put him off a bit. Still a great show, my fav moment was After the Goldrush on the organ and nice to read it was one of his too.

NeilYoungFan and ronbow like this.
  12. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

13. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Actually Steve Martin came up with that

14. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Neil and POTR put on one of the most perfectly epic and supremely jammin' headline shows I have ever seen in Quebec on Saturday. They were smokin' hot right from the get-go! Almost every song stretched over 10 minutes, with Neil in full guitar god mode, clearly amped up to be playing for 80,000+ excited fans. No meandering drones, just fiery leads huge enough to fill the entire Plains of Abraham. Neil audibly shouted "Holy ****in' ****!" at the loudness of the final ovation. Finally getting (a sublime) "Like A Hurricane" after 17 shows was a major highlight for me, as was an early "Rockin' In The Free World" and a charming "Harvest Moon" encore. But "Cortez" might have stolen the show. Some of the most focused guitar work I've ever seen from Neil... or anyone!

I've never seen Neil have more fun and shoot more smiles than over the weekend. What a change from a few nights earlier in Detroit! Hoping these one-off shows are coming to an end and we'll get a full POTR tour soon!!

15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Drowning out the song-requesting idiots with sheer volume always a good cure for the "people suck" blues. :)

footlooseman, JoeRockhead and jlf like this.
  16. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

So do we even want to try and make a guess as to when the full Archives site launches in all its glory?

17. NeilYoungFan

I'm guessing sometime in the Fall, specifically October 15th...

I think the mobile app is still being developed/thought about. Neil said it would be ready on day one, so that's one likely reason for delay, as well as other technical and personal preferences/reasons from Neil. Plus, based on traffic, etc, it's also possible reality is indicating that there's not all that much fan interest (but I hope I'm wrong).

I like what I've seen from the site so far, and the proposed pricing is incredibly reasonable.
    NYF

Frankie TAN likes this.
  18. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Steve Martin was using that in the 70s

19. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

New note up on Archives:

Heading west, we are feeling thankful from the experience in Boston. The crowd was diverse and game. The theater a testimony to what man can do for the arts, very unlike what the digital age has done for music. The theater, once called Music Hall, was up to the acoustic challenge, delivering a sonic landscape for the audience to wander in. A good time was had by all.

Well almost all. There was a lonely scalper out front who couldn’t sell his tickets for more than they were worth. The tickets originated from NYA. All the tickets did, so everyone knew what this enterprising individual was doing. He seemed a little out of place amongst the audience who all paid a reasonable price for their tickets, because they got advance tickets through NYA and didn’t need scalpers anymore. Since we don't advertise, we only pull in the music lovers who are at NYA.

This leg of our Theater Tour is complete, but there will be more dates and NYA ‘Hearse Theater’ live streams coming as we tour the most beautiful theaters still in existence around the world, painstakingly built before the dawn of the Digital Age. In the tour of the future, the two come together with NYA Advance Tickets and livestreams, making it possible for everyone to be at the concerts, one way or another.

The audience knows one another through their shared experience of listening to original recordings of many songs played at the concert, Xstreamed in highest resolution, at NYA. It was NYA that provided early access to the tickets and sold out both shows, filling the Hall with music lovers who didn’t have to deal with scalpers.

What this means is a return to performing, similar to when I first began and no one knew my songs, so they just listened, rather than celebrating each song as it happened by calling out. It is easier to get lost in a song and fall in the groove when the song is filling the air. It doesn’t always happen, but sometimes it does. We are giving it a chance.

The Theater Tour has produced a feeling in the crew, agents, managers, merchandise people and audience, with everyone realizing how far we have come and appreciating the gifts of beauty, artistry, history and soul offered by the greatest theaters of our time.

Thanks for attending or live streaming our Theater Tour.

NYA

20. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

That’s great, Neil. I got a solution for your theater woes...the Horse.

footlooseman and bonus like this.
  21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Both of those write-ups, the "Rough Night" Detroit entry and the Boston note, are just great. I see nothing to criticize in either one

Crispy Rob, ronbow and JoeRockhead like this.
  22. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Again, NYA is a remarkable platform for the artist, from performance streaming and physical releases to concert announcements / ticketing and timely fan communications.

23. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

24. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

25. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident