Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

I think you're probably right. As much as I want it to succeed, I can't really see it lasting beyond a few years.

2. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I think that this website is for uberfans. Now, when the access is free and with the maximum of Internet traffic, they can sustain the website costs for 7 months without any need of paid fees. It's foreseeable that when the website will be a membership service, the traffic is going to slow down substantially and with a minimum of paying members they should survive for years, at least until Neil is alive. The only added costs will be for the CSNY, Buffalo Springfield and Geffen material.

3. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

In theory I agree with what you are saying, I guess I'm just a bit sceptical at this stage. I just wonder how they are going to maintain interest. The most obvious way is exclusive content for the website which is regularly updated. The most obvious content to be attractive is the archive releases, but I can't imagine that they would make that online only - surely there will still be physical releases. So many of us own the music already, and will buy physical copies of future releases, that I think the streaming may lose it's appeal. If they do a mobile version it will have portability in it's favour but only a certain amount of an already niche market will use it that way. I'm sure they've already thought of all of this and have a plan in place. I just hope they manage to find a sweet spot where both the price and the amount of new content is good. Despite my doubts, I do really hope it works.

4. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

A couple of questions. Can any of the songs and/or albums be downloaded? Also, are Freedom and Ragged Glory in hi-rez?

5. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I'm pretty sure you can purchase & download albums from the website.

6. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Ragged Glory and Freedom are both for sale in hi-rez on there...

As others have mentioned, there are things there not available in entirety or for purchase yet (El Dorado, for example)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  7. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Although it says "buy them in hi-rez" they are not, they're 16/44. And as noted earlier these recordings won't be hi-rez due to how they were recorded.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  8. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Gotcha.

But if they are new conversions from the original masters, still might be higher quality/resolution that the original CDs?

9. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Ragged Glory and Freedom were "only" recorded in CD quality (along with all the other albums between 1982 and 1995, at least).

Thank God it doesn't matter.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    aphexj likes this.
  10. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

Just to nitpick, sleeps with angels and mirror ball are analog, so 1994. SWA wasn't recorded at the ranch

11. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I'm not so sure about Mirror Ball, because it tops out at "Full 16/44 Resolution" on the Archives player. Other albums that are definitely analog play at 24/192 for me.

12. Heart of Gold

SWA was digitally recorded.

13. Heart of Gold

Some albums, also recent,aren't remastered yet.

jason202 likes this.
  14. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

That’s because they haven’t released a hi res transfer.

Long May You Run also tops out at 16/44

jason202 likes this.
  15. Heart of Gold

If I remember correctly, recent albums as Silver & Gold, AYP etc are 16/44. Probably not remastered yet.

16. Heart of Gold

I think that the rule is that albums remastered for Pono, sound as hi-rez also on the new Neil Young website. The rest of the albums are waiting for same kind of hi-rez remastering and maybe new release for appearing as Hi-res also in the NYA website.

17. Heart of Gold

Uh, unless I have missed something, the website hasn't been updated from the day 1.

18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Boooooooooring

JoeRockhead and Vinyl Socks like this.
  19. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Thanks for clearing this up.

20. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Yer this website has not made me return to it for a while now, too much effort. I’ll be back when the Roxy appears in my dreams.

FourWalledWorld and chickendinna like this.
  21. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Who - those two are automatic buys for me when I get home. Thanks!

22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

love neil but yeah, I think youre right, even when/if he starts to add unreleased cuts/shows i think it will be in sparse drips and drabs, just another hippie dream, love to be proven wrong!

krlpuretone likes this.
  23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

They are not hi res. They are the same 16/44 masters we’ve had for nearly 30 years

Heart of Gold and Quincy like this.
  24. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Yeah are you passionate is Redbook as well

Heart of Gold likes this.
  25. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Only 6 or 7 more months until we (possibly) gain access to Vol 2 of the Archive. My debit card is waiting and ready.
    As it is now, it's a nice treat. But if they are calculating the number of people streaming from that page, they have to realize that there are probably thousands of people who will stream more often once they've paid and they have full access.
    I've decided that I will not pay for the service unless it includes the streaming of EVERY Neil Young album that has been released so far.
    I don't want to pay money and then be jerked around and find out "certain albums aren't stream-able yet".
    Happy New Year!!