Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I think that also Hitchhiker is 24/176.

2. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

just wanted a small bump about the NYA... is there anything new on the website since it's been started or is it still only his standard albums?

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. Heart of Gold

There's a very interesting section NY Times-The Contrarian by Neil. There will be a movie-video premiere every week. I don't think that the audio-video contents have been still updated.

Hep Alien and Porkpie like this.
  4. Heart of Gold

I had read that Neil Young has several hundreds of unreleased songs and dozens of unreleased projects. I can't find these titles on the new website. No mention also of projects as Human Highway, Mediterranean, Island In The Sun, Old Ways 1&3, Crazy Horse 1984 etc.

picassoson, Hep Alien and Jbird like this.
  5. Neil's got a new post up about how they do their vinyl and it mentions the upcoming 'ROXY Tonight's the Night Live' as the next release, from the 'original analog master mixes.'

Pawnmower, ExHead, RomanZ and 3 others like this.
  6. Jbird

Jbird Forum Resident

I emailed the Archivist about many of these songs/projects/albums, asking why they don't appear in the Timeline, and whether or not we can expect the Archives to be comprehensive. Below is the reply I received:

"Hello!​

Thank you so much for your email and question. If a project that you know of doesn't exist on the timeline it's because there is no current plan to release it. If that ever changes, you will find it there on the timeline. T​

Keep coming back. The site is going to evolve and we have SO much to add. It’s emails like this that will be driving the future content of NYA, so thanks for reaching out.​

-The Archivist
    (writing from the vault)"​

From this I am left to assume (hope) that many of these songs/projects/albums will eventually appear on the Timeline when there is a plan to release it, assuming the Archives will be comprehensive and all of this material will eventually be released. The last sentence is encouraging, which suggests that fan inquiries/comments can help shape the Archives.

7. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Not sure how he can claim that all vinyl they do is from "the master tapes", when his last release was cut from 24 192 files ("The Visitor"), which is openly displayed on the sleeve? I don't particularly mind, but what he is saying is not the case.

Perhaps he's speaking only of the Archives releases.

8. Yeah, or that he means when there is a master tape available and maybe that one wasn't recorded to tape for some reason?

James Bennett likes this.
  9. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

10. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

Yay, we’re getting Roxy on vinyl. Loving the black label.

bonus and JoeRockhead like this.
  11. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

Don't know about The Visitor, but at least parts of Psychedelic Pill were recorded to ProTools.

12. Heart of Gold

From the images on Contrarian, Roxy Live looks like a 4 album set.

13. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I think that could just be a photo for illustrative purposes. Weren't the Roxy shows fairly short? As in not much more than the majority of TTN and one or two other tracks?
    I can't see them stretching that to 4 LPs.

14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

When you record on Pro Tools (as Neil has for a few albums) the files ARE the master tapes

15. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I understand that, obviously. My guess is that it’s a hybrid of analog and digital and is mixed in the digital domain in iTunes at 24:192.

So can you explain when Neil was offering Peace Trail on cassette from the “original analog master”? Or is he picking and choosing albums to record to analog? Or is he full of it with this whole thing in general?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  16. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m sure I’ve read before that Neil has a digital and Analog setup recording at the same time

Or at least he did before he got rid of his studio

17. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Doesn't the documentary for "The Monsanto Years" show his setup? I thought it went to analog tape but then got converted to 192/24 digital immediately in real time.

18. Heart of Gold

The recording notes always mention a tape operator.

James Bennett likes this.
  19. Heart of Gold

You're probably right, but it's also possible that the set could be more expansive as the Zappa's recent release at the Roxy.

20. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

If the label is correct, looks like 6 songs on one side, which would suggest the other 4-5 are on the other making it just one LP. Can't see Neil releasing multiple nights seeing as his usual MO is to combine multiple nights into one or just present one complete concert.

Actuarybrad and JoeRockhead like this.
  21. Heart of Gold

First one Walk On?

22. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

Thats the only one I can make out as well.

23. Jbird

Jbird Forum Resident

Song 5 appears to be World On a String

24. Jbird

Jbird Forum Resident

Song 4 appears to be Mellow My Mind

25. Jbird

Jbird Forum Resident

Song 2 appears to be Tonight's The Night