Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Jbird

Jbird Forum Resident

The rest of the titles are too blurry for me to make out, but to my eyes, Track 3 appears to say something like Bring Out the Bottle. But that is admittedly unclear.

2. I think it's very possible song 1 is an intro of sorts and that some of the tracks are between song banter/raps as these were pretty...liquid...evenings.

You can look at the 1973 Roxy setlists here: Sugar Mountain to get an idea of what the tracklisting will likely be as there was very little variation over the nights, usually only at the end of the set.

Jbird likes this.
  3. Jbird

Jbird Forum Resident

Definitely, I've been looking at the set lists and know that Neil et al were into the Jose Cuervo, so Track 3 could be related banter.

thewolfshead likes this.
  4. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I would say it depends on the artist, as well as on how much you like them. I would have paid a pretty penny for a complete archives release for Prince. Still would. Ditto with Dylan. But somebody like The Byrds? Not as much, even though I do have all of the studio albums. It just all depends.

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I don't know for sure, but I'd suspect sometimes he is going back and forth between digital and analogue, transferring when necessary

James Bennett likes this.
  6. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I agree. I find his claims about using the master tapes etc. very misleading; I’m encouraged tho that he is putting the source right on the LP on the back tho; with Visitor and Harvest Moon at least.

7. Ak1977

Ak1977 Well-Known Member

Where's the live Crazy Horse release that was "imminent"; Alchemy?

footlooseman and JoeF. like this.
  8. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the picture of the roxy live vinyl confirm that it is part of the performance series.

too bad the number is too small, but i think it's a "05".

Jbird likes this.
  9. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i agree with this. can't read the other titles to make an accurate guess though.

Jbird likes this.
  10. Jbird

Jbird Forum Resident

It will be fun to revisit this thread when the track listing becomes available. I'll either commend my ophthalmologist or find a new one!

footlooseman likes this.
  11. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Damn. All Neil needs to do if he wants to make me poor is to keep releasing excellent-sounding vinyl of old projects. I’m a bit of a completist in that regard.

12. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

This was my best guess for side 1 of the vinyl

Intro
    Tonight's the Night
    "Welcome to Miami Beach"
    Mellow My Mind
    World On A String
    band intros

side 2: Speakin Out > New Mama
    side 3: Roll Another Number > TTN
    side 4: encores out of CITS, Losing End, Walk On, DBTR

The Roxy shows were about 60-70 min

thewolfshead likes this.
  13. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

did they do helpless during the roxy run?

14. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

No that was played in the November UK tour but the September Roxy shows were just the TTN songs plus 1 or 2 encores.

qtrules likes this.
  15. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

here's my attempt:
    1. intro
    2. tonight's the night
    3. roll out the ... (?)
    4. mellow my mind
    5. world on a string
    6. band intros

16. Mikeyerg

Mikeyerg Forum Resident

I noticed that track 3 had what appeared to be a different publishing company listed, then figured out it was Roll Out The Barrel by Frankie Yankovic!

Jbird and qtrules like this.
  17. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

nice one! i was trying to figure that out. i saw the longer publishing credits underneath and figured it had to be something.

18. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I'm assuming it's coming after the Roxy release.

19. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I wouldn’t be surprised if it comes in June to coincide with subscriptions. Especially if the video will be released as well

20. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

22. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Just my impression, but from the recent interview on Mojo or from some angry Neil posts I can read some concerns about the future of his Archives. Some words underline the lacking of money for funding his hi res Archives. I think that the survival of NYA as hi res streaming site depends from the number of the June subscriptions. To some point record companies, copyright holders and Archives staff must be paid.

Hep Alien, The Revealer and qtrules like this.
  23. garumph

garumph Forum Resident

1) Announce a street date for the physical NYA2 box on BD and DVD. CD only if the record company threatens to hold their breath until they get it.
    2) Announce that on this street date the website will only be accessible via paid subscription.
    3) Buyers of the box receive a code for free access to the NYA site, for either lifetime or a couple of years (dependent on how generous they feel).
    4) Release individual jewel case copies of ORS 5-8 no greater than six months after the release of the box, at a midline price.
    5) Release individual jewel case copies of ORS 8.5-12 no greater than three months after these, at a midline price.

It's not rocket surgery or brain science here, although NY may be asked to hold off on releasing new albums for a year or so.

Hep Alien, LunarTunes and bobcat like this.
  24. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

This last phrase is likely to be a HUGE stumbling block for Neil.

footlooseman likes this.
  25. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

The whole point is to receive a rolling income from fans for an indefinite period, there is no incentive to release physical media which has a production cost therefore a low profit margin.

Whether it works or not is another question.