Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Song of the Day, April 16, 2018 -- Let's Impeach The President:

"Some of these words don't fit. Enough do though. NY"

:D

warewolf95, Terry and vonseux like this.
  2. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

"HORSE ESCAPES BARN"!!!

May 1+2 Fresno!

Check the Archives site!

3. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Goddamnit Neil! Gimme some more notice next time! Woulda made this trip in a heartbeat if I had a few more weeks to make it work!

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Wow!!
    Wonder if there's any way I can make this work on such short notice.
    I don’t see the presale link though.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    warewolf95 likes this.
  5. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Nor do I. Watch that space I guess.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth trying to make a trip out of it. Seems unlikely that they'd go through the trouble of getting the Horse back up and running for only 2 shows. I'd think (hope) they'd want to get a summer tour out of it at least. Or maybe this is Neil's way of testing it first to see if it feels right. Hmmm...

warewolf95 and James Bennett like this.
  6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I did not expect anything Horse related so quickly. This is VERY exciting. I’m expecting a lot of Broken Arrow songs in the set. Maybe some Toast songs as well???

Maybe his Songs of the Day are an indication of what songs they’ve been rehearsing?

warewolf95 and James Bennett like this.
  7. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

Wow, didn't expected it to happen that soon!
    I suppose these are going to be small club shows, kinda like The Echoes tour in '96?

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. fourfeathers

The shows are at Warnor's Theatre in Fresno and are now on sale via NYA. It is killing me to be unable to attend these shows, especially because I just pulled third row dead center seats!

Act fast!

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I know it's unlikely but here's hoping we get a live stream/recording through the Archives site.

warewolf95 and purple-lazy like this.
  10. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’d say a live stream isn’t out of the question

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

So according to NYA there has been no rehearsals. This could be very interesting.

12. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

And apparently no one knows about the Neil Young Archives site or the pre-sale. As of a few minutes ago, it looks like basically all of the tickets are still available...
    NYF

13. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Yes I checked earlier and was surprised how many seats were available. Site usage must be very low!!

14. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Maybe it’s a way to drive subscribers? Anyhow, I’m making the drive as I landed third row center seats. Who the hell knows what this will sound like? Worth checking out I think....

JoeRockhead likes this.
  15. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Front row tix for both nights!
    Looks like I'm taking a road trip...

16. fourfeathers

Holy ****! Nils Lofgren just confirmed on Twitter that he'll be joining the Horse for these shows next week.

17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I cant even log on - a password reset email never arrives. So I canny do nowt but find out via this forum what the latest action is. I suppose I could give another email address.

18. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I have a feeling these might be "Tonight's The Night" shows.

19. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

With its release, we now see that Roxy is PS05, rather than PS04. So where does that leave us? (Bold are speculation.)

Performance Series
    00 -- Sugar Mountain - Live at Canterbury House 1968
    01 -- Live at the Riverboat 1969
    02 -- Live at the Fillmore East 1970
    02.5 -- Live at the Cellar Door
    03 -- Live at Massey Hall 1971
    04 -- Time Fades Away II
    05 -- Roxy Live 1973
    06 -- Rainbow Theatre? Live at the Bottom Line (1974)? 1976 tour compilation?
    07 -- Boarding House 1978
    08 -- Solo Trans (1983 tour)
    09 -- A Treasure (’84-85)
    10 -- Garage (1986)
    11 -- Bluenote Café (’88-89)
    11.5 -- Live Freedom (Acoustic European tour 1989)?
    12 -- Dreamin' Man Live '92
    13 -- Alchemy

Special Release Series

01 -- Early Daze (1969)
    02 -- Homegrown
    03 -- Dume?
    04 -- Odeon Budokan (March ’76)
    05 -- Hitchhiker (Nov ’76)
    06 -- Chrome Dreams
    07 -- Oceanside Countryside (1977)
    08 -- Old Ways I? Island in the Sun?
    09 -- Toast (2001)?
    10 -- Paradox

It seems a bit unlikely to me that PS06 would be a 1976 tour compilation, since Odeon Budokan (SRS04?) is supposedly a live recording from the same tour. Also since Roxy Live has been released, it seems a bit unlikely to me that they would also release the Rainbow Theatre shows. (There is so much that could be done with the TTN material - Roxy Live, Rainbow Theatre, Original Briggs album version. Would anybody buy all four TTN releases?!) The Bottom Line show might be more likely here, since he played a lot of On the Beach material at that show.

Also, Live Freedom presents a problem, since it sits between Bluenote Cafe and Dreamin' Man. I suppose Neil could make it 11.5 as proposed above. Was Live Freedom ever prepared for actual release? Could it be SRS08? I'm hoping that SRS08 is Old Ways I.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    qtrules, bonus and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  20. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Why is cellar door 2.5??

peace and love✌Dave

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Neil changed his mind.

And thank God he did because that's my favorite release of the bunch.

22. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Because the series wasn't completely planned out before they started numbering releases?

James Bennett and Beaneydave like this.
  23. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

There has to be more between #12 and #13. It's 20 years! Maybe the acoustic Crazy Horse Bridge show where they played some of Sleeps With Angels (doubtful), or something from the '93 shows with Booker T, '95 with Pearl Jam, and so much more over those years.

24. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Is a recording with the Ducks entirely out of the question? I never understood why this era is never brought up for a few reasons:

1. We know Neil recorded some of these shows due to the presence of a recording truck at the gigs.
    2. It is from Neil's golden 1970's decade where pretty much everything he did is widely appreciated
    3. It is something entirely different from anything else he has ever done. Firstly, Neil was just a member of the band, not the entire focus. Because of these many songs were featured that weren't written by Neil, which makes it quite intriguing compared to all the other live releases. And finally unlike most of his other projects, he never worked with this group again. He seems to revisit many of his other groups every decade, or do a few tours with them. The Ducks lasted for a summer and never played outside Santa Cruz.

To me the events of that summer are almost mythic, and I'd love to see it get some form of release some day down the road.

Perhaps the other band members would need to sign off on this, but I can't really see why they wouldn't consider this, it's either release it and get a paycheck, or let it sit in a vault and get nothing while it hits public domain status in a decade.

25. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Sure, absolutely. I just numbered Alchemy 13 because it's at the end, but it could be any number after 12.