Neil Young Official Release 5-8 & 8.5-12 to get CD release (Pricing & Shipping Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WarEagleRK, Mar 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

Received my two boxsets today. Have not had a proper chance to listen yet, but I find the packaging to be quite nice. Replica sleeves with good detail and colors. And I'm just happy to finally have TFA on CD in my hands.

Just three complaints: no HDCD (only minor complaint for me), the quality of the slip case is not that good (but that was also the case with the 1-4 boxset) and ofcourse the oversized sleeves. It really is hard to keep them all in, you really have to look out.

For the rest I wonder why there are no mastering credits etc. and why there is no other website mentioning these boxsets. Not even NY's own site or thrasherswheat...

2. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere in the forum, but does anyone know the true story of the master tapes for Time Fades Away? I've read that they never existed, so is this CD like a new mix, or what? I've never heard the LP, but man this CD sounds amazing.

bobcat and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  3. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I'm wondering if I'm missing something in my sets. Several of the CDs have the accompanying artwork that the originals had, but don't have a paper insert for the discs. Some do have them
    (Comes A Time has just a plain white one). I'm pretty sure all the albums would have had these paper inserts, but not all of the CDs do. Are others finding this to be the case?

4. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

I p
    You're not missing anything. I posted about this same thing a few pages back. I too found it strange that the Comes a Time disc was in a plain white sleeve but some of the others were just loose.

The Big Guy likes this.
  5. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

From the 'Time Fades Away' record label itself:

"This recording was mastered 16- track direct to disc by computer
    August 22nd, August 23rd, 1973."

So...44 years ago to the day...

6. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Anyone else notice the little extra beat and harmonica burst at the beginning of "Long May You Run"? That's never been on any other version I've heard. Was it on the original vinyl?

d.s.l. likes this.
  7. Doug

Doug Forum Resident

Yes that little intro bit is on the original LP.

Lost In The Flood and d.s.l. like this.
  8. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

Was wondering that too. It's not on the original CD. It sounds so familiar... reminds me of the intro to "Thrasher".

9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

If Neil had the rights to release it, probably yes.

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

It's just his sense of humor.

11. I thought the Original Album Series 1-4 came with jewel cases?

driverdrummer likes this.
  12. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

And, speaking of "Thrasher", the acoustic guitar on this new remaster of RNS absolutely shimmers...It's always sounded good, but this is just gorgeous. In fact, as I was listening, it sounded to me like there actually is a second guitar overdubbed on "Thrasher". Am I hearing things, or have I missed this detail after all these years? I know Neil added overdubs to several of the live RNS tracks, but I always assumed "Thrasher" was a straight Boarding House live cut. He's playing a 12-string, so maybe it's simply the full sound of that guitar that I'm hearing, but this time around I could swear I was hearing two instruments.

Anyone have an authoritative source on whether or not there are guitar overdubs on "Thrasher"?

13. d.s.l.

Sure sounds like two guitars to me.

GowG likes this.
  14. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

There was a heated discussion about this earlier in this very thread.

Lost In The Flood and qtrules like this.
  15. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Can't wait to hear this. RNS is in my personal top 3 albums all time, and I've never had a decent vinyl copy - they've all been noisy. Picked up the new remaster today. Plan to give it a spin tonight. Will report back.

16. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I think Tonight's the Night just moved into first place on my all-time "Neil Top Ten" list. And I've owned that album in some form or other since 1980 or so....

17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

It's not 2 guitars....I think Neil had a stereo pickup on his acoustic. The first 3 strings on one channel, the second 3 strings on the second channel (or in the case of a 12 string guitar 6 and 6.)

poolie and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  18. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

That's what I had read somewhere before, but when I listened this time around, it really sounded like two guitars. If it's one, then I really can't wrap my head around the intricacies of his picking on that song. There's so much going on!

19. I am loving this.Have not listened to these albums in their entirety since I sold my vinyl collection 20 years ago.The packaging is a disappointment.The Bowie boxes set a standard for these type of reissues that these fall a long way short of.Better not complain too much or Neil might send someone around to take back my copy of Time Fades Away.

20. boots

boots Chokma!

Got both sets in the mail today they do sound great. My only rant is the packaging, some CD's have sleeves and some don't but they all have scratches:cussing: it was only $83.00 for both sets but still...

mep and bobcat like this.
  21. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

I'm pretty familiar with this song, and I don't think so. Pretty sure it's just the one 12 string. It definitely sounds incredible though!

And that's why Neil is Neil, and the rest of us are on Steve Hoffman forums! No shortage of genius with Neil!

22. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

My Time Fades Away sounds great and plays fine, but I'm having a problem ripping The Last Dance to my computer. When I play the ripped copy it has glitches in it.
    I don't think it's a problem with the disc other than it may be dirty - I noticed some smudges on it but no matter how much I clean it I can't get rid of the glitches. My
    computer is old and may be more sensitive to the smudges - would that make sense? Anyone else have any problems with ripped copies of Last Dance? Is it possible
    for a CD to play okay but still have glitches that prevent you from ripping it to your computer?

Update: I just noticed a glitch in the ripped version of Ambulance Blues. Any experts out there with advice on the possibility that I have bad discs or bad software if the discs play fine in a CD player but have glitches when ripped? They also play fine in the computer, the problem is when I rip certain songs.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  23. d.s.l.

It could very well be one - great song either way...

From: How Neil Young gets a spectacular amplified acoust | The SoundHole

"Larry Cragg began working with Neil on Neil's guitars in 1972 and has toured as his tech since 1976. Larry has played banjo, pedal steel and sax for Neil and he's doubled on keyboards and guitars in Nils Lofgren's band since 1985.

Neil's main acoustics are a Martin D-45 that he got in 1967, a prewar D-18 and a D-28. I've installed stereo Fraps in each, which is by far the best way to amplify an acoustic guitar. I place two pickups inside the guitar-one for the top three strings and one for the bottom three."

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Cassius, adamos, highway and 2 others like this.
  24. domcasmurro

domcasmurro Active Member

25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Briggs from beyond the grave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.