Neil Young Official Release 5-8 & 8.5-12 to get CD release (Pricing & Shipping Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WarEagleRK, Mar 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teag

teag Forum Resident

TryAmazon. Both under $40.

2. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

3. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I bought mine from ImportCDs, around $35 EACH...bargain!

4. Both sets are currently part of Amazon.de's Buy 2 Get a third set free sale.

5. I'm bumping this thread to let people know that the 5-8 CD box is becoming hard to find under full list price. I had procrastinated on picking it up and found acquiring a cheap, new copy somewhat difficult. The only places that seem to still have it are the various Amazons and a few Euro shops. It was always listed as a limited edition item, presumably replaced by a cheaper packaged set down the line.

My search for the cheapest new copy ultimately led me to Bullmoose. They are about the last place left on the net where you can get a copy under $40. I can confirm they still have it because my copy just arrived.

superstar19 and The Hud like this.
  6. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

This was a cheaply-packaged box to begin with; I'm not sure how it could made more cheaply packaged, unless it's made download-only, heh.

RiRiIII likes this.
  7. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Perhaps jewel cased rather than card sleeves in a slip case, just like the first four.

qtrules and bobcat like this.
  8. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

I'd just like to see standalone releases so I can finally have a proper Time Fades Away CD in my collection :)

9. Oyster Boy

Well, they did stand alones for the first four as well.:)

10. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I just picked up Discs 1-4 from ImportCDs for $28 Canadian.
    Couldn't find a reasonable price for 5-8, though

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The first four originally came in sleeves that were similar but smaller in size. They were pressed on 24 k gold discs too.
    The jewel case version is the reissue.

davers likes this.
  12. Oyster Boy

Had forgotten they were 24 k gold discs as well as smaller. The jewel case I refer to is what I mean't was the reissue.

13. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

not in north america. jewel cases came first in july 2009.

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I don’t think that’s right. I remember when they first released this it was Kind of a big deal. And then when they released him later and jewel cases it seemed like it wasn’t

15. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

it is right.

i bought all four at hmv in downtown toronto in july 2009. they are all in jewel cases.

Neil Young - After The Gold Rush

the gold versions followed later. see an announcement in this thread: Neil Young Ltd. Edition 24 kt Gold CDs *

16. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

For what it's worth, 5-8 are mini-LP packaging, too ~ not jewel cases ~ with all original inserts, finish on the covers, etc. So they're a little more deluxe than 1-4.
    And I've gushed this before, but for those who think you just want Time Fades Away, the sonic upgrade to Tonight's the Night is exhilarating.

17. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I didn't them get them yet but aren't they all sonic upgrades?

bruce2 likes this.
  18. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

From what I've heard, if there is some sonic improvement it's minuscule.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

HDCD has been removed from the albums that did have them in both sets.

and, i cannot believe for the life of me, that 'time fades away' still has not been released individually yet. i could see it, (somewhat, greed played a big role, no one will convince me otherwise) when the boxes first came out, as it had been clamored for for so long, but now that the box that contains it is basically OOP, one would think it would come out on its own.

bobcat likes this.
  20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Yes, they are all sonic upgrades. I directly compared Tonight's the Night and On the Beach to my older discs, and to my ears the new box set clearly sounds better. Whether the upgrade is "miniscule" or there at all is a matter of opinion but I prefer the new mastering.

21. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Did any of the previous releases of the albums in these two boxes (5-8 and 8.5-12) have HDCD?

(There was only one previous version of each of them, wasn't there?)

22. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Is it OOP? My local record store continues to sell the 5-8 box, unless it's leftover stock (?) They're indie, maybe they bought a stash up front.

23. Oyster Boy

Not as far as I know and there is only one version of each.

bobcat likes this.
  24. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

That's what I thought.

Maybe that post was conflating that with the fact that the reissues of the first four albums from 2009 were HDCD and these reissues are not?

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and a few of those 9 albums were already HDCD and it has now been removed.

i just don;t get it, i just don;t get it at all.

and the kicker, a 'decade" reissue came out at the exact same time and it WAS HDCD encoded and WAS NOT before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.