Neil Young Official Release Series 8.5-12 pre-order

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Never too late to remind fellow members that.... finding mint copies (or any copies at all for that matter) of vintage original US pressed LP's outside of the American Continent can be really hard or near impossible. Even German or UK pressings can be tough finds in many countries here in Europe. For many thousands of music lovers buying vinyl, good quality reissues are not just a great option, it can be the only option that makes some sense unless for die hard collectors of original pressings paying premium prices at the usual online selling platforms, at the risk of, more often than not, getting records in much poorer condition than described... so, this debate about "mint copies" being available or not, makes much more sense in the USA than everywhere else where finding such items would be quite incredible :D

2. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Feel free to post links, dear. Again, mint condition and under $20 shipped.

JoeRockhead and Vinyl Socks like this.
  3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I wanna hear the sound quality of Rust Never Sleeps... love that album... way too much...

polchik likes this.
  4. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Enjoy Live Rust, in the original shrink wrap, for...oh, 3 to 400 bucks...
    Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Live Rust »

Or...get the upcoming box set for $149.99. I'll take the Bellman cuts, thank you! :agree:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    JoeRockhead and DeRosa like this.
  5. Vinyl Socks

Personally, I love seeing remastered, AAA vinyl coming out - especially when it derails online sellers from charging 400 bucks for a sealed, original album that is out-of-print in the vinyl format.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  6. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Is this box also available through the Neil Yougshop? Last time they had some cool t-shirt with the box.

7. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Haven't seen anything yet but I hope so too (for the t-shirts, I mean).

8. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

One thing to bear in mind is that European versions of these albums often use American parts (French copies do, at least, judging from their deadwax). Those will likely be much cheaper, and probably cleaner, than their US counterparts.
    My copy of Rust Never Sleeps was 10 euros, Comes a Time was 6.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  9. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

10. Vinyl Socks

I do see one at the bottom of the page for $112. Near mint. The one above it is $44.99. These are unsealed, and after Record Store Day, we would hope to see these prices drop. I will be glad to put a Bellman-mastered Live Rust on my turntable in November, and hopefully the sellers who over-price their used vinyl drop their prices, too. The other copies on the page? I can only speculate...maybe they are good copies...maybe not. Maybe they smell like Goodwill (mildew) records...maybe not...they certainly aren't going to put that info in the sales ad. I'll take the upcoming, pristine 180-gram pressings that are on their way.
    Thanks for the info!

11. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

The lack of continuing this series on CD is really bumming me out. I'd feel better if he wasn't already moving on to third series without even a notion that the second series would be released on that format.

12. Vinyl Socks

Neil moves in mysterious ways. In his recent statements during an interview with Billboard, Elliot Roberts announced that Time Fades Away would be released on CD finally. That indicates a CD format release for 5-8 of the Official Release Series...possibly...
    Excavating Neil Young's Archives: 'Six or Seven Full-Length Films' Coming, Says Manager »

polchik, EricSwan and JoeF. like this.
  13. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I don't know about you but I'd feel more confident buying an unsealed NM copy from a reputable seller than one that's spent more than 30 years in shrink-wrap.
    Also, there are numerous NM copies on that page selling for much less than 100 dollars.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Vinyl Socks likes this.
  14. Tarek Sobh

Tarek Sobh Well-Known Member

So Neil actually still owns the ranch? Heheh.. Just kidding. Don't want to go back there...
    I got the first official release series 1-4 individually on vinyl, and I was really happy with the premium quality of sound and sleeves. Overall, I was really impressed... When the box set series 5-8 was released, I immediately got it. That is the standard one, not the numbered RSD version. I have to admit I was really shocked when I opened the box. All the records had torn edges which I believe was caused by shipping. Then, the sleeves were really thin (maybe replicating the originals?) and the glue kept coming off. Also, inner sleeves were put in recklessly and had creases and torn parts... I'm debating if I should get the box as well or wait for individual releases.

15. Vinyl Socks

I agree with what you are saying, but I would rather buy the new remasters. For one, no mildew odor. And my point about a 100 to 400 dollar sealed record is exactly what you mention - you don't know if it's warped, or smells like mildew. I have bought sealed, older records that managed to smell like mildew anyway. But I'm not going to drop 25 bucks on a mildew-grade record anyhow when I could drop 50 or 60 bucks for Live Rust and get a pristine, flawless copy. Or, spend $149.99 on 6 flawless, brand-new records that will likely sound incredible on my system. When I used to buy used records online regularly, they would often smell like mildew (just like a friggin' Goodwill record), because sellers WILL NOT typically tell you this in the product description. Then, all you get is a record that you have to store out on the porch so it doesn't infect your good clean record collection or make you sneeze. My heart was aching when I found a VG copy of The Family That Plays Together, by Spirit (original stereo mix 1st pressing, Ode Records), bought it, and opened the shipping package when it arrived and the smell of mildew wafted out of the package and up my nostrils. Made me VERY leery of buying used records online. Why? Because even the reputable sellers will slip you a mildewed album now and then. The Spirit album has been cleaned and stored in an MFSL sleeve, and it sounds good, but I foolishly expected a well-taken care of record. Silly me!

James Bennett and Jellis77 like this.
  16. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Totally agree with you here. Bang on. That smell is disgusting. I'll take "maybe, subjectively, a little less great sounding" and a mint sleeve that doesn't smell like ****.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  17. Vinyl Socks

Thanks. And, honestly, even a minty 1st EMI mono pressing of Sgt. Pepper's that smells like mildew should not be sold for more than one dollar. Mildew = $1 or less. No matter what the title or pressing...hmmm...sounds like a new thread topic here... :agree:

18. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

$112.50 with no tax and free shipping on PopMarket using Welcome10 code.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Bright sunlight clears out that smell completely. You open up the jacket and leave it near a window letting the sun hit the inside of the cover, and it's gone after a nice day.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Again, if it's just the smell with no water damage then bright hot sunlight clears it up well. I've done this a few times and it works.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Exactly, and they are all widely available. In my dreamworld, he fast forwards ten years and the next box is:

Eldorado (EP)
    Freedom (2 LP)
    Ragged Glory (2 LP)
    Harvest Moon
    Sleeps With Angels (2 LP)

aroney, polchik, soundfanz and 2 others like this.
  22. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

Time Fades Away on CD signed off by Neil? I'll believe it when I'm holding the damn thing in my hands, but am cautiously optimistic. Wooo Hooo!

Vinyl Socks and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I think these are all digital 16-44.1k recordings. So youre not gonna get AAA pressings when this box set comes out. I understand why you want Freedom and Ragged Glory on 2 LP but its just a better way to transfer CD to vinyl

That said, I have all these titles on vinyl already. But I am gonna stop buying vinyl cut from digital files. Specially CD resolution files.

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If they are CD resolution files, I would not be interested. I know that Eldorado was digitally recorded, but don't remember about the others . The original CD's sound great to me. Perhaps that's all we need.

25. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I understand that point of view, but it can just happen that an LP cut from a 16 bit digital source sounds better because of better mastering technique/options. Actually, it does happen a lot... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.