Neil Young readies Pono music service for expansion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Your iPhone doesn't taste of Swiss chocolate

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Apple lossless. Same thing.

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. Just got this from a friend a sxsw happening right now

image.jpg

4. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Apple lossless is high res?

5. DreadPikathulhu

Yes.

6. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

have you been to a neil young concert recently? TONS of 20 somethings. it's pretty cool actually.

7. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

As a percentage of all 20 somethings on the planet?

8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

again, have you been to a neil young concert recently? i have, so i can report with some certainty that he is still popular with the young 'uns.

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

No, the point is this: Neil Young is not pointing his Toblerpone at young people. Just look at the marketing for it.

10. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I bought the signed poster for $100. Would have gotten the $200 player instead but too late. I needed a new iPod anyway (mine is dead), but I'll wait for these to hit the stores.

11. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Well, chances of finding Neil Young fans at a Neil Young concert must be pretty high, I'll grant you that.....

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Really I thought your point was no young people listen to or know who Neil is.

Nice attempt to move the goal post and argue even though you have nothing to base it on.

13. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

$507,216
    pledged of $800,000 goal

So far they're doing well.

14. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

as I pointed out though it's all Neil Young fans buying up all the Neil Young items.

15. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Or fans of a certain brand of ridge shaped chocolate. Of which there are many in their 20s.

16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Forget Neil being out of touch...just read some of these posts here.

17. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

At least most of us know that trouser pockets are not pyramid shaped

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I haven't read all of the posts here, but my 2 cents...I was shocked to see the $400 price tag for this 128 gb device. I think this price-point alone is almost enough to kill it off before it gets out of the gate. I can play apple-lossless on a roughly $250 device that holds 160gb....I have 2 of 'em :)

The hi-rez (audio file) price tag...hmmm. I, personally, think HD tracks are overpriced vs. CD. Additionally, for ME, CD quality is just fine, resolution wise, for my ears. The hi-rez I have heard just does not warrant the higher price. Hybrid SACD's was really the way to go IMO. I remember seeing plenty of them for what...just a few more bucks over the redbook? That was a good deal!

All in all..I see a very small niche market for this thing that may keep it alive for a while. Eventually, it will go the way of ATRAC3.

Just wait until 'ol Neil puts tons of his juicy back catalog/rarities out...exclusively in this Pono format...that will ruffle a few feathers. I guarantee you, Neil will do this.

moops and JoeRockhead like this.
  19. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I think the biggest difference (aside from high-rez playback) is that the Pono player likely is capable of better sounding playback (i.e. higher quality DAC, etc.) Personally, that's a non-issue to me because I only listen to portable devices in situations where I'm not likely to even notice a difference, such as during flights, on the bus etc. I have high quality playback from my turntable and DAC in my main setup, but I'm not so picky with my listening on the go.

20. DreadPikathulhu

Archives II. Only available preloaded on a Pono. Mark my words.

RomanZ and KBanya like this.
  21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.