Neil Young - "Storytone" (2014)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vertigone, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Release date, November 4th.

[​IMG]

According to this...

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com...stra-for-project-reportedly-titled-storytone/

Neil Young Recording with Orchestra for Project Reportedly Titled "Storytone"
    29 August 2014

According to multiple online reports, Neil Young has been working on a new music project that involves an orchestra. German composer Chris Walden has revealed on his website that he contributed arrangements to a new album from the folk-rock great called Storytone, which is due out on November 4.

A series of messages that appeared over the last couple of weeks on the Gina Zimmitti Music Contracting Facebook page offer some additional details about the sessions. A photo posted on August 19 shows Walden conducting an orchestra at the Sony Pictures Scoring Stage in Culver City, California, while Young sings and veteran studio musician George Doering plays guitar. A caption attached to the pic reads, “First day recording Chris Walden’s fantastic arrangements for Neil Young.”

A message posted on August 23 shows another photo of Walden at work, this one taken at EastWest Studios in Los Angeles. The caption for this pic reads, “2nd day of recording with Neil Young and producer Niko Bolas – this time for some awesomely loud big band arrangements by Chris Walden composer-arranger!” Bolas has worked as an engineer and producer on numerous Young records over the years, including Landing on Water, Life, Freedom and Living with War.

The most recent Facebook post regarding Young appeared on Thursday. It shows a photo of Neil’s LincVolt hybrid car and reveals that the rock legend was back at the Sony studio “for more days of recording with orchestra and arranger Michael Bearden.” Bearden collaborated with an impressive list of music stars over the years, including Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Sting, Carlos Santana, John Fogerty and many others.

Back in March, Young told Billboard that he was considering making “a record with a full-blown orchestra, live — a mono recording with one mic.” He added, “I want to do something like that where we really record what happened, with one point of view and the musicians moved closer and farther away, the way it was done in the past.”

Stay tuned as more information emerges about the upcoming album.

Peter Pyle, EVOLVIST and warewolf95 like this.
  2. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Neil with an orchestra sounds great...the one mic thing I'm not so sure about. I don't think ALL progress is bad. I just hope the songs are good - that will make or break the project, obviously.

3. LunarTunes

LunarTunes Forum Resident

If this photo is indeed from the sessions for a new album, I think we can put the "one mic" thing to bed. There's more than a handful of mics in the picture...

4. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thankfully

Heart of Gold likes this.
  5. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I am a huge Neil fan but I am having trouble getting excited for this one. I guess you never know though!

6. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Is it going to be a rock/pop person doing standards album, like Linda Ronstadt did so well 30 years ago, and that Rod Stewart did so many times recently?

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

I don't see crazy horse in that picture?

8. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I sure hope not!

Frittenköter likes this.
  9. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I love this man. Just seven months after releasing his last album, a new one's coming out. And he toured with Crazy Horse in between!

It doesn't matter (much) that I don't like A Letter Home, and I hope this new one is good, but the fact that he continually pushes himself creatively is very inspiring.

stef1205, Frittenköter, JimC and 8 others like this.
  10. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Neil does Gershwin?? - I'm curious. I must have 70 or so of his CDs on the shelf and I don't regret buying any of them (yes, even Arc).

11. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I would love to hear a standards album by Neil. I think his voice could fit some songs surprisingly well. He would have to try though to remove shakiness a bit, so that his vocals would appear a bit more polished.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i'm in.

neil young is an automatic.

Clanceman, noyoucmon, Agent57 and 3 others like this.
  13. INSW

INSW Senior Member

This sounds horrible.

I'm in.

14. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I am in too, even though not excited, and even less excited that I know I will pay for the vinyl record knowing Neil Young will charge the highest prices on the planet for his vinyl releases.

15. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

Don't know if this is accurate, but I am told this is an album of love songs for Darryl Hannah. And that he has already recorded it once before the last tour.

Musicisthebest, melstapler and Yorick like this.
  16. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

The first single will be : 'A Man Needs a Divorce Attorney.'

keyXVII, chumlie, Pancat and 10 others like this.
  17. Soul Music Fan

Soul Music Fan Forum Resident

Could the song 'Ramada Inn' be autobiographical?

18. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

His take on "Froggy goes a courtin" with bassoon solo should be interesting.
    I think Shakey got a hold of some bad smoke.

wavethatflag likes this.
  19. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

I think all of his songs are, to some degree.

even "crime in the city"

20. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Do we know whether he actually sings on this? Given the title Storytone, maybe it's a spoken narrative with orchestral accompaniment, basically a short story with music for shading.

wavethatflag likes this.
  21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

We know nothing, but that won't stop this thread from going to 1,000 posts, then to a Part 2. :laugh:

22. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

that was great, had me rolling.

23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

It's Neil. I'm in.

Nielsoe likes this.
  24. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

I'm in for the deluxe box. :D

25. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident