Neil Young's Human Highway Film Restoration

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davenav, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter Thread Starter

Vidiot likes this.
  2. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

It's a strange film. I've got 2 different versions of it on VHS tapes in a box somewhere - one with a several generation copy of what I guess is the original edit, and the other is the commercial VHS release. I preferred the original edit....the commercial VHS version has the end sequence at the beginning and several other odd editing choices. I hope this new version they put together gets a release soon.

3. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I'd like to see it for the Devo!

Cowboy Kim, jupiter8 and SpudOz like this.
  4. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

It would be great if they found the missing elements for Devo's parts in the film. Especially those few small pieces for the Worried Man intro and the beginning of the song where Devo had to use inter cuts with Rod Rooter and Donut when re-compiling the clip for We're All Devo back in 1983.

Cowboy Kim likes this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Kid's: Don't believe your own hype, and don't make a film when you're high. Didn't The Beatles teach you anything?

DLeet, JFS3 and Gumboo like this.
  6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Journey through the Past was so incoherent it's a stretch to even call it a movie. Neil had no sense of how to structure a film, even a 'non narrative' film. Poorly shot too. I'm guessing that's his 'style'.

DLeet and jupiter8 like this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

My VHS got eaten. Looking forward to DVD. Nifty film.

8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I have the laserdisc. It's a pretty challenging film. Now that I know of Neil's daily pot habit it all makes sense.

I need to dig it out and rewatch it.

9. What an awful film! Only worth it for the Booji and the Devo. The VHS goes for ridiculous prices, so I hope it gets a DVD/Blu-Ray release (on the cheap though, I wouldn't pay too much for this travesty!)

10. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Why is this film being worked on (and perhaps released sometime) and the Trunk film (which I actually would love to see) remains in the vault?

Jack likes this.
  11. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I've just come from the Melbourne International Film Festival Screening. A few things about the directors cut:

• It's a much tighter film than the VHS/Laserdisc cut. The editing has more rhythm to it.
    • The introduction with Booji Boy is now the ending (which makes more sense).
    • The dream sequence has had some parts trimmed (the Devo/Young jam) and new parts added.
    • The audience I saw it with loved the film. They laughed at all the right moments and applauded at the end (I was shocked).
    • Without giving more away - there are new effects and some narrative devices to help the audience understand what's going on.
    • Booji Boy now has subtitles.
    Overall, it's a massive improvement over the home video cut. It's now a cool little oddball comedy, rather than the mess most of us are used to.

DreadPikathulhu and drivingfrog like this.
  12. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I have a copy of the old theatrical release on bootleg DVD and I own the 1995 laser disc.

I think it's an awful movie, but the message and a lot of the music is good.

I'll probably watch the new version at some point and decide if I need it for my Devo collection.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It sounds interesting. It may entice me to watch it again.

Hopefully Neil won't hold it up for whatever project has his attention this week.

14. You couldn't pay me to sit through that again.

15. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

You know Neil, there's more of a chance it'll be held up than released.

Re: my earlier post, I'd still like to see the Trunk Show released rather than this. Still waiting. . .

16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

"Vancouver premiere" is what they said.

18. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I wouldn't mind seeing the theatrical cut as well. Is it much different to the laserdisc version?

19. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Human Highway is actually a good film. Neil plays his character nicely, and the final sequence of him beig a rock star is very nice. The jam with Devo - great. Moreover, the last scene depicts are remarkably gloomy scene... gloomy in the retrospective. People dance with shovels in the wake of the nuclear disaster. Next thing you know, several years later, soldiers are shovelig immensely radioactive graphite from the roof of Chernobyl.

The film would have bee better had real sets on the streets were built. Fake background detract from the atmosphere.

20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Just got an e-mail from CD Japan and it lists Neil Young's film, HUMAN HIGHWAY, as being released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in February 2026. I assume a domestic release date can't be too far behind.

Finally.

Mine's pre-ordered.

21. Graham

Graham Senior Member

2016 or 2026?

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Knowing Neil I'd put the money on 2026.

Agent of Fortune and Graham like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.