Nellie McKay Revisits The 60s w/Famed Beatles Engineer Geoff Emerick on "My Weekly Reader" (03/2015)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Nellie Mckay Revisits The 60's (How'd She Do That?) With Famed Beatles Engineer Geoff Emerick For New Album "My Weekly Reader"
    To Be Released March 24th on 429 Records/Savoy Label Group

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Jan. 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- "Freedom's just another word for turning off your phone," says Nellie, who first collaborated with famed Beatles engineer Geoff Emerick on her debut "Get Away From Me." They reunite for My Weekly Reader which will be released March 24th on 429 Records/Savoy Label Group. With the aid of Emerick's golden ears, she covers songs from the era of political turmoil and creative delight by Zappa, Ray Davies, Steve Miller, Country Joe McDonald, and then some.

The Wall Street Journal premiered the track "Murder in My Heart for the Judge" today—check it out here:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015...n-murder-in-my-heart-for-the-judge-exclusive/

"It's important for us to be aware and not succumb to what (jazzman) Dave Frishberg has referred to as 'weapons of mass distraction'," adds Nellie. "These songs come out of a time of less cynicism - back in the 60's the darker things in society were balanced by a certain innocence and hope."

The New Yorker has warily described McKay as "funny and touching, ceaselessly clever and scarily talented."

Since her last album, besides eating potato chips and watching reruns of Mister Ed, Nellie has indulged an extended run in the award-winning off-Broadway hit "Old Hats" and written three acclaimed musical biographies – "I Want to Live!," the story of Barbara Graham, third woman executed in the gas chamber at San Quentin, "Silent Spring: It's Not Nice to Fool Mother Nature," an exploration of environmental pioneer Rachel Carson, and her latest, "A GIRL NAMED BILL - The Life and Times of Billy Tipton," named one of the Best Concerts of 2014 by The New York Times.

A recipient of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals Humanitarian Award in recognition of her dedication to animal rights, Nellie is an annoyingly vocal advocate for feminism, civil rights and other deeply felt progressive ideals. She is currently part of the campaign to get horse-drawn carriages off the streets of New York City.

My Weekly Reader tracks:
    1) Sunny Afternoon
    2) Quicksilver girl
    3) Poor People/Justice
    4) Murder in My Heart for the Judge
    5) Bold Marauder
    6) Itchycoo Park
    7) Mrs. Brown
    8) Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine
    9) If I Fell
    10)Red Rubber Ball
    11)Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying
    12)Hungry Freaks, Daddy
    13)Wooden Ships

DeeThomaz and GroovinGarrett like this.
  2. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I'm all over this, she is one of the most interesting and talented artists around today in any genre. She even managed to turn me into a Doris Day fan with her tribute album ''Normal As Blueberry Pie'', her debut is still my favorite however.

3. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

so cool. my imagination is soaring thinking of her take on "hungry freaks

DeeThomaz likes this.
  4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

That is a hell of an interesting song selection, definitely need to hear this.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

+1

7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

So clearly that's the one to get.

Pretty sure we won't get, say, Target or Walmart exclusives on this. *Maybe* Amazon (but I'd be surprised).

cboldman and Marry a Carrot like this.
  9. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Her rendition of 'If I Needed Someone' is probably the one previously issued on a Beatles/Rubber Soul 40th anniversary various artists tribute album called "This Bird Has Flown."

10. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Probably... and "Yellow Submarine" seems to date back to 2009 and a Revolver tribute album which I guess was never released.

http://www.popmatters.com/feature/72385-songwriting-and-social-activism/

What else have you been working on musically?

I’ve been working with Geoff Emerick [the audio engineer for The Beatles who also produced McKay’s first record] on “Yellow Submarine” for a tribute album to Revolver. We’re thinking of making it kind of Bollywood. I loved the soundtrack to Slumdog Millionaire. It had such energy. And it was the Beatles who first brought Indian music to the consciousness of most Westerners, so it seems appropriate.​

theMess likes this.
  11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

When I read this thread title I thought Emerick was being interviewed in the US elementary school mag Weekly Reader. (Do they even publish that anymore?) I wondered how many kids that age know who The Beatles are, much less him.

Mark

12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Anybody get this yet? I can't decide based on the samples--sometimes she sounds too precious and wide eyed, and other times she seems to sing tougher.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

These '60s tributes are usually brain dead boring in terms of song selection. But this? I want to run and check this out.

Having Geoff Emerick on board just makes it better...

As for the Barnes and Noble version with the two bonus tracks...I would consider any cover of Yellow Submarine to be a negative factor. One of the Beatles' worst, and really, there's not a lot of meat on those bones for someone else...

14. WayOutWardell

WayOutWardell Forum Resident

The inclusion of 'Hungry Freaks, Daddy' has piqued my curiosity, for sure!

15. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

I still haven't purchased this yet, but a longtime Nellie fan. "Pretty Little Head" is one of my all time favorite albums.

Tombby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.