Neo Psych Fans: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard..Far Out!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Nov 22, 2015.

1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Yeah, I have the FLAC version DL'd, so I put it on Winamp and just gave it another listen. I will say, that in my lowly and wretched taste, I DO agree with you that that particular song is by far the best of the album. I really do like that one. But, for me personally, it just all sounds really repetitious. I mean, the first 3 songs have exactly the same beat and the transition from Empty to Hot water is exactly the same song but with slightly different arrangements.

I mean, it's not awful, but to me it's like several of their other albums where the songs drag out rather repetitively to me with very little variance. To me, this is a COMPLETE contrast to albums such as Poly... and even Gunboat Soup where each song sounds as a separate, well written and thought out song.

BUT... it could be that that kind of continuous sound does something more for you. Maybe it's repetitive nature takes you on a kind of trance-like trip or something like that. When they play that way, it very STRONGLY reminds me of Hawkwind's style, which many people like. Again, with them, I am very selective of their albums for the same reason. But, for me personally, I just really prefer the albums where the songs are much more individual and they DON'T sound like they all run together.

2. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

After having ignored the hype for the past year or so, I've spent the last few weeks listening to almost nothing but King Gizzard. Zero regrets on that front.

Like any artist that covers this much ground and is this prolific, not everything worked for my ears, but dang, to instantly fall in love with this much new music all at once?!? That rarely happens to me at the ripe ol' age of 39.9.

Polygondwanaland
    is just about flawless. That's the one I would recommend to anyone who wants to taste as many flavors as they can in one sitting. Nonagon Infiinity, by design, gets repetitive, but if the band wanted to get stuck in one gear, that's definitely the gear to choose! I've listened to that one a ton. The first half of Mind Fuzz hits the same sweet spot for me as Nonagon, as does the 16-minute opener from Float Along. I'm not really a low-fi or psych rock guy, but in the past two weeks I've added over two hours of King Gizzard to my "curated" iTunes, the place where I store tunes that are gonna last me years and years. These guys are the real deal. Can't wait to see what they have in store for 2018 and beyond.

SirMarc, Clonesteak, mpayan and 7 others like this.
  3. latheofheaven

Hey Matt! Good to see you immersing yourself in some good ol' Psychedelia mate!

[​IMG]

I'd say I'd agree with your assessment. Like I mentioned, that particular 'groove' that they find themselves in on some albums might indeed really resonate with some people, as you said.

I guess you could rightly say, then, that these guys truly have a little something for everyone.

... even apparently for someone as Evil and Maniacal as Sauron above... [​IMG]

4. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

:righton: Good on ya mate !

latheofheaven likes this.
  5. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'm late getting around to Gumboot Soup, I was waitin' for the physical version in my hands, but it is predictably great.

Holy cow at "The Great Chain of Being" though, this is basically a Sleep song. So stoner doom sounding and riffy,

6. latheofheaven

I believe that was the first song that caught my attention. I don't remember if I say it above, but my VERY first impression of this album was, 'Damn, if only ALL the songs sounded like that!' But, in listening more, I really came to like the whole album despite the varience in style.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Getting caught up on the post-Nonagon Infinity stuff. Right now Polydondwanaland is my favorite. Murder of the Universe is too same-y for stretches but good. Flying Microtonal Banana is another fave right now.

8. latheofheaven

Yeah, it's seems that many are liking Polydondwanaland as the favourite. It struck me too as having the strongest songwriting. I liked that one right off. I'm really HOPING that Amazon follows through with the re-release of Float on / Oddiments because I very much like the variety and creativity of that one also.

jamo spingal and bzfgt like this.
  9. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

I've been enjoying Polygondwanaland most out of the 4 records I've got from them, but they all have an infectious quality. Also really like I'm In Your Mind Fuzz and parts of Universe. Need to dive into Microtonal Banana more.

They've played Portland a couple times now and I missed them, but will finally remedy that in a few weeks!

Did want to mention to those considering which Polygondwanaland vinyl to get: I got the ATO vinyl from Amazon which includes live stuff from KEXP that's pretty cool. Bad thing though, it was super dish warped. So I got a replacement, and it was even more dish warped, and had a couple nasty marks too. So I kept dish warp #1 which plays OK, but am considering the multitude of other options.

jamo spingal and latheofheaven like this.
  10. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Just got the Diggers Factory version on vinyl. Great pressing.

Spinmeout, latheofheaven and Rekkerds like this.
  11. latheofheaven

LOVELY cover! :righton:

bzfgt likes this.
  12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I just heard/saw this for the first time. Very nice. Smiley Smile/Curt Boettcher/Sunshine pop vibes with some psilocybin for dessert. I dig it.

Mild High Club - "Windowpane"

13. latheofheaven

"psilocybin for dessert"...

Sir, may I remind you of the elevated calibur of people here at Hoffman Forums and the high standards to which we adhere. This is NO place, sir, for Psychedelic references and incursions into our dignified discussions...

[​IMG]

OOPS, uh... (cough...) uh, wrong button, sorry... :oops:

SirMarc, Rekkerds and notesofachord like this.
  14. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...best video EVER! :cool::thumbsup:

jamo spingal likes this.
  15. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Just received the new Aural Pleasure version of Polygondwanaland, of our own MrRom - this is one amazing looking release. Can't wait to spin it!

16. latheofheaven

Dang, I wish I'd waited to get one of the coloured vinyl versions. I think I just got one of the black vinyl versions from Amazon (I don't remember the company now, and YES, 'one guy who always brings it up', black vinyl IS indeed coloured vinyl also, but you know what I mean :))

Any pictures of the versions that you guys got that were 'coloured'...?

17. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

There are a TON of them out there - here are just a few...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

latheofheaven and Grow Fins like this.
  18. latheofheaven

DAMN! Thanks Bro!

I wonder what companies sell which ones? I will hafta check when I go to my listening room next, but I THINK the name of the company that sent mine through Amazon was something like 'Bloodline' or something similar...

***EDIT

BLOOD MUSIC is the company selling on Amazon. Actually, there are a few others there too, but this was kind of the main one. The sonics on it are very good!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  19. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

latheofheaven, MrRom92 and nosliw like this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think "Gumboot Soup" is the sleeper album of the group. Ive been listening to it more than the other lps. Probably their best sounding album also. Not that I listen to these guys for sonics :p

Its not a Gizzard Blizzard, but a slow cooker. One thing about the King of Gizzard's and Wizards over all things Lizards, they mix it up yet leave you with a goofy half lid smile no matter the style or pace :D

Some folks have the fish face album. These guys are more my speed for weird stuff!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What will be weird is when a complete set of black vinyl King Gizzard's are the rarity!

MrRom92, Grow Fins and latheofheaven like this.
  22. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident

Grow Fins and latheofheaven like this.
  23. Travadinho

I like it a lot too. I'm listening to in now actually. Which tracks do you like most?

24. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yeah, Gumboot Soup is my favorite of the 2017's as well. There's so much variety on it. It may be outtakes from the other albums, but somehow, not being tied to a specific concept or sound makes it better. The variety is its strength.

After Gumboot, my next favorite is a toss up between Polygondwanaland and Flying Microtonal Banana. Sketches of Brunswick East is a nice jazzy LP, but not quite as essential as those three. I haven't yet warmed to the vomiting robot one.

25. Travadinho

That's pretty much how I feel about their 2017 releases. I love MFB, Poly, and Gumboot. Sketches has some nice moments and is pretty solid. And I can appreciate MOTU and I like moments on it, but it's not my fav Gizzy album.

I'm looking forward to see what they do next.