Nero 6 - FLAC support Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Beattles, May 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member Thread Starter

I am running an old XP Media Server that is my primary Music ripper/burner. I recently got a Ransom Ware attack and had to wipe my hard drives and re install the OS. I loaded Nero 9 but don't like it. I installed Nero 6 which I am used to and have saved a lot of Covers done with Nero Cover Designer. Now I cannot burn FLAC files with 9 0r 6 and don't see how to add a FLAC plug-in. I hope some one can help me with this.

I really hate PC software planned obsolescence. They add bells and whistles and kill the basic functionality.

2. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

You could try one of the many free alternatives. CDBurnerXP is very similar to earlier versions of Nero and copes with FLAC files really well. InfraRecorder is good too. See www.techsupportalert.com for reviews and download links.

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Yep for my burning needs CDBurnerXP works well, my auto only reads CDDA format and this works well converting flacs etc to different standards :cheers:

4. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

I suggest you use (foobar2000 ») for you basic tag editing (meta data), Flac. converting/creating and cd creation. There is a Foobar Plug In page with many enhancements. Be sure to get the CD Burner if you want to use Foobar.You can also use (Exact Audio Copy ») for making CD's. As to your question:
    1. "For Nero 6, the plugin directory is "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\AudioPlugins". Or similar.
    2. Here is a source for the plug in pack (Nero Mega Plugin Pack Download »).
    Hope this helps.

5. Beattles

Thanks. I use EAC and FooBar for some burning but prefer the older Nero for the Cover Designer. I have hundreds of saved covers and need to print them on occasion.

I will try the codec pack. Seems like I did that years ago but lost it when I wiped my files.

6. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I use imgburn.
    It handles Flac ape mp3 etc.
    I had to download and install direct show filters,(imgburn could not see the flac file otherwise! )
    If you have a cue file it can be loaded directly and one click and its all done for you.
    I don,t use anything else. It also writes cd text.

7. Beattles

The (Nero Mega Plugin Pack Download ») did the trick. I use EAC extensively for ripping, copying and burning but prefer Nero when I want to print covers for burning needle drop 45 compilations.

8. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

I remember using Nero some years ago. As I recall after 6 they started to mess with the code. It no longer supported many plugins. There was a guy name Masse or something like that who built the original set. Once 7 came out it all went bad. I am mostly all digital now. Everything gets converted to flac. as soon as I get it. I have a dedicated NAS server and stream via WiFi to our system. We still pull out the disks sometimes. The server is accessed via a tablet where we see all the album art and song lists. Glad the info. helped.

9. harby

harby Forum Resident

Glad you got it working, but I would have just made wav conversions for how little I put stuff on a CD (usually the music is coming off the cd!) Just "install" the flac command-line utility flac.exe by copying it into the C:\windows directory, which is in the path, so you can use it anywhere. Then open the command prompt, cd to the directory with the files, and type the command for %F in (*.flac) do flac -d "%F" to create wavs of all the files.

Infrarecorder for no-nonsense free CD burner software that supports FLAC.

10. Beattles

Thanks again for th3 help and suggestions.

I have done over 3000 needle drops of 45s with unique versions: mono, single & promo edits, and 45 only. I enjoy burning them to CD and creating covers and replica 45 labels to share with some friends. I have them stored and backed up digitally but enjoy the transportability. I don't have a player that will hold everything I want and my vehicle doesn't have an aux input.

11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I'm feeling your pain with CD/DVD liner designs created in Nero6. I have a sizable stash, myself, and none of my Nero6 .ncd files even opened in Nero7 (!)

But I have good news, if you're still around....

Forced into a system hardware upgrade earlier this month, I began (again) searching for a solution, because I'm still making liners in the "Nero Cover Designer" that came with Nero6, as recently as this weekend, on my sunset-bound system.

Lo and behold, I found Nero release notes in a Google search covering several years, and it seems that, with Nero 10 (I had gotten off their treadmill by then), they FINALLY got on the ball and touted the fact that they FINALLY included a version of "Nero Cover Designer" that would open .ncd files created with previous versions of Nero software (i.e., Nero < 10).

Still, someone probably bought Nero 7, Nero 8, and Nero 9, and the whole time, in the vain hope they'd be able to open their Nero 6 .ncd files again. So, um, yeah, that's a lot of versions to go without worrying about backward compatibility of any kind for your customers. (Abandoned by the next version? That's cold.)

Fortunately, Nero makes available from their website a free 3MB download (which starts a 165MB download, grab a cup of coffee) which will install a standalone version of Nero 2017's "Nero Cover Designer" - their full cover designer application minus a couple of features, like Lightscribe capability - but - taa-daa! - it opens my Nero6 .ncd files. So I have a solution for my new hardware system and old files.

For customers installing on top of a full-blown Nero install, all the NCD features will be enabled, including Lightscribe.

(Of course, it would be too much to ask for a full downloader. This "solution" doesn't work if I have to rebuild this new system in the future and find they have yanked the free NCD.)

Isaac McHelicopter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.