Netflix show “Another Life” w/ Katee Sack

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jul 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Imagination taking “Annilhilation”, “Interstellar” and “Arrival” putting them in a blender and you’ve got “Another Land”. This Netflix original isn’t as good as any of those films and, although the production design is quite handsome, the characters do incredibly dumb things but, hey, it’s TV.

Glad to see Sack back in the spaceship saddle but it’s a pity this is so mediocre.

2. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Do you mean ANOTHER LIFE with Katee Sackhoff?

Scowl, jdw, GreenDrazi and 2 others like this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep - the title should be changed.

So, I gave it a go and...I made it about 13 minutes into the first ep before giving up! WTF? This so stupid, right out of the gate. The dialog made me cringe from the start and the flight crew of a bunch of random, clueless pretty young things was beyond a joke. And don't get me started on the complete ignorance of what dark matter is, how it behaves or that it can even be seen - argh. Bad, bad, bad, stupid scifi!

Scowl and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  4. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

99% of the "drama" on this show comes from people behaving in illogical ways and/or doing something stupid. But the fx look good.

Scowl, CatManDude and wayneklein like this.
  5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Based on the Bill Wyman song?

6. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I watched the trailer. That was enough for me.

7. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

My wife and I watched the first three episodes last night, mainly because Katee was in it and we had not seen any new scifi recently. While I'd agree with the previous posts it is entertaining. Outside of Katee's character the others are so dumb I don't mind if they get killed off. Fun stuff. :-popcorn:

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  8. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

This show is so bad no one wants to even bother correcting the thread title.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Nobody will sack up and do it.

10. hubertfarnsworth

hubertfarnsworth Forum Resident

I think you mean "Nobody will Sackhoff up and do it."

11. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I watched episode one last night and probably won't be returning. I knew immediately that
    it was filmed in Canada because one of the ship's crew-members had a Blue Rodeo t-shirt on.
    A Blue Rodeo shirt. In the year 2525 or whenever the heck this is supposedly set. I do dig
    Katee's husband - the dude from `The Knick' and `I'm Dyin' Up Here'. He is always worth
    watching.

12. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Up to episode 8 (of 10).
    Must admit I’m really struggling with it.
    Lack of an interesting story being my biggest gripe. Plus the appallingly bad spaceship interior- hoses that run along the corridor wall for a couple feet only to return back into the wall, tanks hanging from the wall in the most silly places. Etc etc.
    Mrs Linus seems to be enjoying it so I’ll just sit and suffer in silence- 3 more episodes to go!!

13. wayneklein

Yes I had a moment...

14. wayneklein

Even me. seriously, I just have been possessed by Bill Wyman.

It’s clear they spend a bit of money on this (but not enough on the CGI which goes from pretty good to pretty bad in a short span of time and back again)

15. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

I watched 5 eps of this dreadful drama Another Life and actually had to force feed myself that fifth ep. I love Katee Sackhoff, but this series was absolutely awful. Some of the worst dialogue and acting I have ever seen in a series. And one cliched happening after another: a virus encountered on a planet, alien creature gets onboard, idiot second in command takes over (i.e. mutinee) and nearly destroys the entire ship and crew, aud nauseum. And that's just the first 5 eps! Dreadful. Katee ends up killing the second in command, but I wish she would have killed the young foul-mouthed, screaming, smart-assed bitch.

16. wayneklein

I asked to have the title changed (no excuse really just tired and that also reflects the use of Sackhoff and not catching spell check changing it).

Lost interest after episode 4.

17. Watched the first two episodes last night. What they said.

18. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I lasted about 20 minutes. The writing was awful.

19. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I wanted to like this one, but I don't. Dumb, inconsistent and illogical characterizations. Poor script. A computer that doesn't know anything and a crew that makes the same mistakes more than once (Did I say poor script?). I made it through three episodes and am trying to psych myself to see the rest of the episodes but I think I'll just jump to the last one and see what the "surprise" is.

20. wayneklein

Yeah I disliked it so much at first I couldn’t get the title or the actress right! ;)

21. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Wow we watched the first episode of this last night. It's like some kid watched Prometheus and decided to re-write that for the Instagram crowd.

The writing and cast selection was sooo inept to be hilarious. I have never seen anything quite so bad. Shame cos the trailer on Netflix was well put together. Looking at the review quotes on IMDB is quite funny too.

I could create a list of stuff but...just watch an episode and you'll be screaming at the TV like we were.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  22. wayneklein

This. Brilliant description!

daglesj likes this.
  23. I watched three episodes. That was two too many!

timind and robertawillisjr like this.
  24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

It gets better in the 2nd half I would say.

There is still a lot of bad writing, and very derivative, but overall I enjoyed the show and hope there is a season 2. Significant other liked it as well.

25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

When I ask the question "Okay what shall we watch tonight?" My other half now says "Anything but that f*****g awful Another Life!"

It's become quite a catchphrase in our home.

timind and tommy-thewho like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.