Neutral vs acurate (monitor) sound

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tiger-Eyes, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger-Eyes

Tiger-Eyes New Member Thread Starter

Hey, please help me out.

I often read terms like 'neutral' or natural. And am not sure what they mean by that. To me as a studio-guy. Neutral means the monitor (speaker) does not color the sound passing through (much). At least it tries. And does a decent job at that. If theres too much or little of any ordinary frequencies, it should be audible more or less, from one source to the next.

Then there's a second defiition of neutral. And I think its sonething like:

"whatever music passes through these speakers, all excess frequencies get dialed down to sound more or less the same to the next track, they sound relaxed at all times. tame-ish".
    (Like the AKG K240 headphones, which comes close to doing this which so awfull IMHO)

So if I read on hi-fi forums regarding speakers the terms 'neutral, natural and relaxed'. Which of the two definitions do they mean?

2. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

I think when most of us say "neutral", we mean nothing stands out, there aren't any exaggerated frequency bands, not warm or bright or bass heavy. "Natural" to me is a little different in that it implies a speaker that disappears and doesn't attract attention to itself. Part of that would be a neutral sound, but it's more than that, natural brings in a relaxed sound, it means no obvious resonances, or diffraction affects, no cues to destroy the illusion, smooth rolloffs at the frequency extremes. Describing a speaker as "accurate" wouldn't have as much meaning to me, though it could be synonymous with neutral to many people. My favorite descriptor is the natural one, whether speakers or electronics, that's what I strive to get in my system. Just a sound you can relax into with your favorite music, and not worry about all those descriptors :)

Tiger-Eyes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.